Cannondale Moterra 1 Mullet

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there has put a 27.5 rear wheel on the Moterra 1, or any of the Moterra models. Don't think they have a flip chip like some other bikes & wondering if it would drop the bottom bracket too low or change the geometry of the bike too much? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers...

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
The fork has been extended to 180mm travel, the same as the SE. With the crank at 6 o'clock the 27.5 rear wheel has lowered it by 1/2 an inch. Haven’t sessioned it yet, hopefully will get a chance at some point this week before BPW next weekend
4AC98BF3-458E-4223-9434-9CC1B702323A.jpeg

Last edited:

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Yes i have been riding mine mulleted for the last 200 ks. Love the slacker ha and the rear end has come alive. Game changer and love it but cannondale/bosch wont allow a software change to reflect the actual wheel circumference so that is killing it for me. I will be advising everyone I know to never buy a bosch equipped bike again. I am really pissed at this

Last edited:

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
I have been riding a mullet moterra 2 2020, but was a size small, with native 650b wheels, and I installed a zeb 29 160 and a front 29er wheel, it was amazing

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Yes. I now wish I had bought a small...maybe. But i totally agree it rides amazingly. Thinking about a 180 fork but tbh i might have to quit it because of the software issue. Its left a very bad taste in the mouth. Cannondale have even suggested they wont cover any warranty because I have modified the bike. WTF

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
.Game changer and love it but cannondale/bosch wont allow a software change to reflect the actual wheel circumference so that is killing it for me. I will be advising everyone I know to never buy a bosch equipped bike again. I am really pissed at this
The guys at the bike shop I use said they’d change the software without any issue. The small Moterra’ so run on 27.5 so the software has to allow it.
Cannondale have even suggested they wont cover any warranty because I have modified the bike. WTF
This I’m not surprised at, I love Cannondale bikes, they ride amazingly but the thecompany will try and weasel out of warranty claims. Really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

i love my Moterra but would I buy another Cannondale after owning 5 of them over my riding lifetime? No.

Would I buy another Bosch motored bike? No. As much as I love the feel of the motor the lack of user adjustability is annoying and don’t even get me started on the 1990’s Nokia control.
Whoever designed that should‘ve been given a slap around the face.
399FAE3F-3AC7-407E-A5C0-23986DF12DC8.jpeg

Apart from all that, as I said I love the ride of the Moterra.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Yip. I agree with all you have said there. But I am not in a position to get a new bike yet and unfortunately when I do it won't be Cannondale or a Bosch. In the interim it looks like I am being forced into illegally? using a speed delimiter if i wish to ride a mullet which is absolutely want to do as for my riding its a huge improvement in control and fun. Also makes for safer riding for me. Actual speed is 3 kph slower than what is being recorded on Kiox. I am nervous that the delimiter will be quickly picked up by the Bosch onboard computer and shut me down. As much as I dont want to its looking like I may need to join the specialized club at some point as the Shimano motor and battery is proving to be off the pace within our riding group at least

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Nothing wrong with Specialized Chairman, they seem to have fixed the motor issues alot so now they are just on top of the game. I switched to a Mullet setup & no issues changing the software to suit. To be honest, when I swap with my brother & get on his Moterra 1, it feels like a pig in comparison to my spech with nowhere near the same assistance in the different ranges & their Eco is a joke, may as well ride with the motor off? Think my eco rides like his emtb & my trail like his boost & I've even dumb'ed mine down!

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Yeah I tend to agree certainly the spez motor is strong and reliable now. Seem to handle pretty well also. Its just that most around here are on Spez and i like to mix it up up a bit. Dont quite agree with the software comment though. I think the Bosch turbo emtb and new trail mode are actually pretty good

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
Talk to a local bike shop about changing the wheel diameter settings they should be able to do it, though you’ll probably have to pay. The shop I brought my bike from has never seen it in its sexy mullet set up. I kept the 29” rear wheel for anytime it goes back there, that way the shop don’t know I “might have” voided the warranty.

i like the EMTB mode but it’s the lack of being able to tweak the assistance that annoys me.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Nope that is exactly my point. There is no way to tweak the settings to allow a 27.5 circumference without cannondale/bosch approval to do so. If anyone can tell us how to do it my local shop will be into it. I dont even care about warranty. I just want the thing to go

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Hi guys
Just to let you know I went with a speedbox to overcome the issues I was having with the mullet. No issues at all after aprox 500ks. Now there was a report I once saw about a guy who had fitted a link off another Cannodale bike that allowed him to fit a 170 shock. Does anyone know anything about this. I want to go 180 in front but am afraid it will unbalance things a bit too much if I don't increase the rear

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
I’m running 180mm on the front. Downhill it’s a dream, on steep tech climbs it can be a bit harder to keep the front end down but I’ll live with it for the defending abilities.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Yes @Elsketcho I am already notiticing that with a 160 fork and a mullet. My fork is a 160 fox 36 factory e optimized and it works pretty well. I don't know that I am quite so happy with the dpx2 in the rear as it seems to hang up a bit when the going gets too chunky. Was thinking a coil would help but I also like the idea of going 170 if I can figure out how and then I would put a 180 something on the front. What shock are you running?

Last edited:

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
I’m running the RockShox Deluxe Select + RT, DebonAir that it came with. Haven’t had any problems with it. I did think about a coil on the rear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles