Levo Gen 2 Another creak tracked down to motor mounts

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I did all the usual diagnosing stuff:

- Creak happens only when pedaling, probably not wheel related
- Regreased and torqued the cranks to spec, didn't help, probably not the cranks
- Creak happens when I ride no-hands, probably not headset
- Creak happens when I pedal while standing, probably not the saddle or dropper
- Somebody here posted about their motor rubbing, so I ordered a motor bolt kit

Today was my first ride since replacing all the motor mount hardware, and (drum roll please) no more creak.

FWIW, all of the original bolts were tight. and I didn't see any sign of rubbage, so I have no smoking gun to point to. But I don't care! That creak was maddening, and now it's gone.

Last edited:

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Maddening stuff this creaking while pedalling
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the motor bolts were too loose and not the 18 NM that is required
After tightening them up the problem had gone
The Levo has done 8000km
I'll remember this post if the creaking ever returns as replacing them would be the next thing I'd have to do

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I'm getting similar symptoms and wondering if I need to replace all the Motor Mounts, where can I get these ?

The Levo in question is a Turbo Levo Comp 2020

It has done around 11,000km and is 3 years old, so getting to that age when other users have reported that they have had to replace all the motor mount hardware.

The creaking is most notable heard when I start to put the power down, if that helps in diagnosing what it could be

I also ruled out all these below:
- Creak happens only when pedaling, probably not wheel related
- Regreased and torqued the cranks to spec, didn't help, probably not the cranks
- Creak happens when I ride no-hands, probably not headset
- Creak happens when I pedal while standing, probably not the saddle or dropper
- Somebody here posted about their motor rubbing, so I ordered a motor bolt kit

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
I just went through this on a Levo with a coil shock. After checking every bolt on the bike, the creak was coming from the collar that tightens the coil spring. 1/4 turn and it's all silent. It's always the last place you check.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Motor bolt kit is Spesh part number S194200012. I got mine from a US web site, but you guys should have some choices.

1687466126656.png

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
I too have been chasing a creak on my Levo comp, Only happens when pedaling been through all the usual stuff guess I need to get some new mounting hardware.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
The new mounting hardware has arrived and I'm now wondering, do you have to replace just the bolts or do I have to replace all the mounting hardware as well on the actual motor ? To eliminate the creak while pedalling ? The latter will be an extremely difficult job

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I don't mean this to be snotty! Ask yourself, if you replace only the bolts and the creak is still there when it's all back together, how angry will you be? Better to be thorough!

For me, the hardest part of the whole job was routing the dropper cable around the shadow loop (or whatever they call it). Dropping the motor all the way out and replacing the captive nuts doesn't add all that much more to the job..

Take a few photos of the assembly before pulling stuff apart. I thought I would remember what goes where, but I was mistaken. I had to redo a few steps.

Also, I used grease where the captive nuts attached to the motor housing. I greased every place a metal part touched another metal part as well as where the motor housing gets close to the inside of the frame. I did NOT want to do the job a second time!

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
The new mounting hardware has arrived and I'm now wondering, do you have to replace just the bolts or do I have to replace all the mounting hardware as well on the actual motor ? To eliminate the creak while pedalling ? The latter will be an extremely difficult job
better to do it once than twice

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I finally took the motor out and reinstalled it, I could not believe how hard this job is. There's so many things you have to do. Took all day. The EMBN video makes it look so easy! It misses so much out! I didn't replace the mount hardware in the end, for one I didn't know how to tap it out, or have the correct bolt size, it would have pushed the job into multiple consecutive days, I want to ride now, not spend even more time doing engineering.
I really thought I'd never get it back together again at times, it really was daunting.
Instead I greased a lot of things on the reinstallation and did a short test ride and as far as I could tell the creak had gone. It was windy though so perhaps I didn't hear it.
However a quick phone call to the bike shop and they said when they replaced the motor (recently) they put new mount hardware in so after that I thought surely it doesn't need replacing anyway.
I originally just assumed they re-used the old original 2020 hardware on the new motor but it turns out its all new apparantly.
Next time I even consider a job that involves dropping a motor it will be done at the bikeshop I think. Takes me hours on end.

That new hardware I ordered can be sent back for a refund. Not going to use it now.

Last edited:

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
My gen 3 was quiet for a year, then two months ago started creaking while peddling so took motor out and greased it all okay now my mates Levo is only a month old and is creaking really bad while peddling told him to take it back to the shop and let them sort it out

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles