Another chainring question

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
This is a little drawn out this question but bare with me please, a while ago I fitted some 155mm Hope crank arms and noticed a difference with super steep hill climbs, as earlier posted I’m going to buy a new Hope chainring but I’m thinking of buying a 36T version instead of keeping with the 34T one that’s on my bike, albeit in the Hope variation, now I’m aware that there’s a difference between the bigger one but is it noticeable enough to bother with, I’m also aware that the bigger one will reduce my top speed but not as bothered about that at the moment, any help would be appreciated please 🙏

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Personally I don't find much difference between 2 teeth, but can definitely tell the difference between 4.

As has been said, a larger chainring will increase maximum speed and reduce the climbing ability.

RiderOnTheStorm

With my 12 speed , 10-52 cassette, I also decided to change my chainring from the original 34T to 36T. The reason for this change was not to gain in top speed, but to optimize my cassette usage and maintain straighter chain line.

With my riding and a 36T chainring, I'm now mostly using the cogs in the middle of the cassette. A more balanced use of the drivetrain. And no impact whatsoever on my climbing ability (52T was overkill for eMTBs anyway and rarely used).

I would have liked to fit a 38T chainring but didn't have the clearance. @EMTBSEAN something you might want to check on your bike before getting a larger chainring.

The good news is that you don't need to replace your chain when going from 34T to 36T. No change needed in chain length.

In retrospective, going to 36T was a good upgrade for me.

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’m so glad I posted this, I thought it was the other way around, a bigger chainring up front would reduce my top speed, thanks to each and everyone for your feedback and your in-depth experience @rideronthestorm, that could have been a costly mistake so many thanks guys, I need the lower ratio gearing for steep climbs and I enjoy the workout without using “Turbo”, I’ll put my order in later, I can’t sleep at the moment so decided to check my post 🙏

Last edited:

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I tend to run two different chainring sizes - it's fairly flat where I live so tend to use a 38t that just fits, and then when I go to a bike park etc I stick a 32t on. A bit of a pain, but works for me.

The alternative would be to get a larger rear cassette, but I run 10sp which seems to max out at a 42t large cog. For the extra cost, I just don't see ifs worth it.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I have a 10-52T cassette and I thought that the 36T chainring would reduce my top speed but never mind, I never was any good at the laws of physics or what ever it is in this case, personally I don’t think I could ride without the granny gears on my bike, I haven’t ridden since February and when I’m finally able to ride it’ll probably be in the Peak District so a granny gear is going to be essential, it’s going to take quite a while for my fitness to get back to what it was too, I can see the granny gear will possibly be needed permanently for an old fart like me, I don’t know what bike you have but the Sram 12 speed cassette isn’t expensive if you search the net for one 😉

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles