Another STEPS 8000 question !

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
On my new STEPS 8000 equipped Ebike l find the motor engagement is a bit harsh when in TURBO mode.
As in, it's not very smooth, the power comes in a bit jerky. It's OK once engaged and as long as you don't stop pedalling.
ln the lower power modes it's alright.
TURBO is currently set at "high" which l am going to turn down and see if it's any better, but doing that reduces the assistance from 300% to 200%
l just wondered if this was normal for this motor, l rarely use "TURBO" and will live with it if it's normal.

Current firmware is 4.8 l wonder if installing the 4.9 firmware (introduced in Oct 2020) improves it?

l've resisted updating it because then the Stunlocker app will no longer work. But l will update if it will cure the engagement issue.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That sounds fairly normal E8000 ish !

You do get used to to it. I think you learn to pedal very softly at the start. Ideally, just always set off in trail and then switch to boost once you're on the move. Then if you're in a stop start/on off/soft hard type section just drop back into trail.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have Boost turned down to Medium because High is insane. Whenever I really needed it, the rear wheel used to spin out. OK, if I rode more rocky climbs, then maybe High Boost would be OK.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Fair enough, l've turned the boost setting down to medium and it is better, now there's just a clunk felt rather than heard.

It's true that "turbo" on the high setting is a bit insane, just touch the pedals and it's off.

The STEPS 8000 is a five years old design l imagine the new EP8 is better.

The Stunlocker app allows fine tuning of the assist modes but as yet l haven't tried doing it.

Maybe if l made the progression to full power more gradual, it would still give the maximum 300% but without doing full power as soon as you start tuning the pedals.

Last edited:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
STunlocker works fine on the 4.9 firmware for adjustment of modes. I don't have the premium license as I have no need to derestrict.

I've adjusted most downwards as I've got fitter... Trying to extend range mainly as I'm on a 504Wh battery...

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Yes me too, l never use TURBO mainly because it's not smooth in its power take up

l've got ECO set at maximum (it's what l use 90% of the time) and TRAIL set at minimum (for steep or technical climbs)

l am still experimenting with the settings but ended up back in the standard Shimano "DYNAMIC" mode (eco max, trail min, turbo max)

Do you have any advice on custom settings that work for you?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
To update this, l've now done around 1650 miles on the bike.
I ended up with ECO-high TRAIL-medium BOOST-medium

lt's been like this for over 1,000 miles and works very well for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles