Annual distance

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Afternoon all

I’m just curious. What’s your annual mileage on your EMTB ?

I’d consider myself a low mileage weekend warrior. My current distance this year to date is approaching 1800 miles (2896km), so expect to do around 2400 miles (3862km) in a year based on similar distances ridden each weekend

I see so many bikes posted for sale (not on here) with extremely low mileage, like 200 miles after 6 months or more of ownership, that it makes me wonder if actually I’m riding far more than others, or are the people selling the bikes with low mileage simply not using them, and hence the sale

As I said, just curious …

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
From 7/11/2020: -

Total DistanceTotal kCalsTotal ElevationAverage ElevationTotal Rides

That's a lower value than yours, so you are doing more than most. Winter is the killer as light dictates only really cycling on Sat/Sun and days off.

That's just less than 14 miles averaged per ride but I put in some climbing during those rides... Not massive but consistent at 1700ft per ride...

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
From 7/11/2020: -

Total DistanceTotal kCalsTotal ElevationAverage ElevationTotal Rides

That's a lower value than yours, so you are doing more than most. Winter is the killer as light dictates only really cycling on Sat/Sun and days off.

That's just less than 14 miles averaged per ride but I put in some climbing during those rides... Not massive but consistent at 1700ft per ride...

you climb far higher than me though!

here’s my Strava stats for this year:

76080639-A8D4-4769-B7AA-17DAD5A1216B.jpeg

I’m not convinced I’m a high miler! Simply a weekend warrior doing full battery rides on a Saturday / Sunday. I’d do far more if the battery gave us greater range

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
5.000 km a year with 70.000 meters elevation, average yearly. Cannot prove it though, because can’t have registred on the net because thats imcompatible with my work schedule.
There are friends that ride twice that and unfriendly guys that do three to four times that.
Pinkbike article writers think that 70.000 m climb a year enables then to tell good from bad on climbing matters though.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
5.000 km a year with 70.000 meters elevation, average yearly. Cannot prove it though, because can’t have registred on the net because thats imcompatible with my work schedule.
There are friends that ride twice that and unfriendly guys that do three to four times that.
Pinkbike article writers think that 70.000 m climb a year enables then to tell good from bad on climbing matters though.

Yes I’d expect to see figures many times higher than mine for people that ride mid week too. I’m only doing two rides a week on average (more when I have days off) hence why I consider myself a low mileage rider

I’m just surprised how many bikes I see for sale with such low mileages. I thought mine was low mileage!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I guess a lot of the low mileage bikes are people who bought them with good intentions, but then didn't ride them, hence selling them.

Some are virtually new, so I guess those are where someone didn't like the bike/wrong size preferred a FF or Lightweight.

Some are 300 miles or less with new chain and cassette - so someone who didn't adapt to assisted gear changes and were horrified by the cost and time scales.:D Always wary when I see those ones as I imagine the person also thought they could jetwash the crap out of it and it wouldn't matter for them.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I guess a lot of the low mileage bikes are people who bought them with good intentions, but then didn't ride them, hence selling them.

That’s what I have concluded, just surprised how many I see for sale with less than 300 miles on. I see more for sale with hardly any mileage than ones with average mileage, but I suppose that’s because the average mileage riders are actually riding their bikes!

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Remember, most people posting regularly here will probably be in the top 30% of mileage in the EMTB population. My guess is that probably most casual but regular riders do about 5-600 miles per year. We are doing more than that as we are more committed and there are some here doing more than I did in my car last year! ;-)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yes I’d expect to see figures many times higher than mine for people that ride mid week too. I’m only doing two rides a week on average (more when I have days off) hence why I consider myself a low mileage rider
I think for a "weekend warrior" you generally kick ass and make the most of it though, often with multiple outings, different locations and lots of interesting routes/ locations - I'd imagine higher than average. You also do the courtesy of squeezing in lots of cool photo's ! :) Whilst being down to earth and open about your rides. So it's a (y) from here ..

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
1150km since March for me
I think I had done 1000km by around June but decided to buy and e-road bike In July which seems to have taken priority, as it hurts less to ride.
I'm also perplexed by all of these ultra low mileage e-bikes up for sale after 6 months, I guess people just don't know what they want yet they have the money to try it out ?‍♂️

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I think for a "weekend warrior" you generally kick ass and make the most of it though, often with multiple outings, different locations and lots of interesting routes/ locations - I'd imagine higher than average. You also do the courtesy of squeezing in lots of cool photo's ! :) Whilst being down to earth and open about your rides. So it's a (y) from here ..

What a nice thing to say, thank you. I just enjoy riding different places. Also I’ve been stuck working from home by myself for the last eighteen months since Covid and it’s driving me absolutely nuts as I’m used to being out & about every day, so like to make the most of weekends

You ride a similar distance to me but also climb twice the elevation (with multiple injuries) so you’re making the most out of life on your emtb too!

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
According to the Purion, I did 900 miles on the Stilus between August 2020 & last week. Is that light in the scheme of things? I also ride the trail bike a lot too I suppose, which isn't recorded. I feel I could ride more, then again I work full time in a demanding job & have an annoying child to look after. ?

I definitely ride less in winter too. The cold I'm fine with but wet weather combined with the chalk trails we have here is pretty hazardous so you end up being picky/lazy.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l've done 1,800 miles since March, l go out four to five times a week but only for an hour each time.

l won't generally go out on my ebike if it's raining, in case l get electrocuted

Matt van

Jun 1, 2023
Canberra ACT
Thanks I am currently aiming at 750 for the 3.5 months so far and hoping at 1200 by christmas. And now i feel lucky to get the knobs off my tyres

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles