Review Alpinestars Paragon Pro Protector Vest

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Product Image:
paragon2.jpg

(note : The Alpinestars image looks like the chest is a lattice mesh similar to the back armour, it's not, it's a semi rigid 5mm thick piece of foam with a few holes drilled in it)

Product name: Alpinestars Paragon Pro Protector Vest
Price paid: €100
Score (out of 10): 6

Review: Part of Alpinestars "Paragon" line.

There seems to be the :

Paragon Vest (the old model) - just back protection - CE 1.
Paragon Plus Vest (the new model) - Back protection - CE 1.
Paragon Pro Vest - CE 1 back. CE 1 Chest and a couple of bits of foam up the side to stop tickles.
Paragon Pro long Sleeve Protection Jacket - As the pro vest with CE 1 shoulders and CE 1 Elbows.

This is the Pro Vest.

I've bought it to use as a protective base layer. It fit's really well, is cool, comfortable, none restrictive, very light weight.

The kidney belt attaches at the rear with Velcro, so you can move it up and down to where you want it, or remove it completely.

Obviously a lot of armour these days is "reactive" - d3o for instance and many others. These types of armour have no doubt saved many from injury, especially as they're flexible so they don't feel restrictive, therefore people will wear protection who otherwise wouldn't.

On the down side, they can be heavier and a lump of thick foam can be hot and sweaty. Whilst reactive, only the impacted area firms up, they don't magically turn all your armour into a hard protective shell on impact - so they don't spread impact forces very well. This is countered by using thicker reactive foam, so heavier and sweatier. It can also be improved by laminating it or mixing it with a harder outer shell or alternative armour type.

More companies are starting to use lattice or tube armours as they absorb shock and spread impact forces.

The Paragon Pro uses lattice armour. It's light weight and very breathable.

paragon.jpg

The chest panel nicely wraps around a reasonable portion of the ribs without feeling at all restrictive. As mentioned in my next post, it's main downfall is it's lack of protection despite somehow (bribe? testing defeat device...) supposedly passing the CE1 chest certification. The chest is basically just a thin plasticised memory foam panel offering considerably less protection than an uncertified tld7855. It also lacks in coverage area, only coming part way up the pectorals and leaving the entire upper chest and collar bone area unprotected. It flexes slowly and if you do the "punch test" it hurts considerably less punching the panel rather than no panel, but it's hard to imagine it passing CE1 or giving any real world protection from anything other than minor bruising.

The back is long, flexible but sturdy and comes down to the buttocks, unlike many of the back protectors at the moment which stop above the small of the back. The back protector lattice reduces in thickness/density towards it's edges but is ultimately quite a nice CE1 back protector.

The panels aren't removable. The instructions suggest hand washing only with soap and water. This isn't going to happen for me, so it's already been in the washing machine on a gentle cold wash and all is well.

So far, really pleased with it. You don't really know you have it on. it's incredibly none bulky. I've worn my TLD 7855 over the top and you wouldn't know you have this on underneath.

The only negative is that the panels aren't removable, so you can't upgrade them/change them - not easily anyway, or remove them for washing.

Another bonus, if you ever goto a fancy dress party as Freddie Mercury and you're worried things might get a bit raucous - this is the perfect costume.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A quick update.

Ran this today with a Troy Lee Designs 7855 over the top.

The troy lee gives excellent all round protection, but lacks high level protection on the chest/back/shoulders.

Heat wise (it's 30-35 degrees depending where you are in the forest) it was excellent. You could feel yourself sweating slightly more, though mainly on the back, but with the amount of ventilation, it was evaporating and you felt cool - all things considered !

It doesn't chafe at all so makes a good base layer.

The back armour seem really good. Flexible but strong. The chest armour after more investigation is a bit lacking. I thought it was the same lattice as the back, but it's a lattice/holed foam pad, so doesn't offer anywhere near the same level of protection.

I had assumed that the CE1 back requirements would be the same as the CE1 chest requirements. But they're not. Back and "Rest of the body" are completely different standards. CE1 Chest/Shoulders/Elbows is about half the requirement of CE1 Back !!!! CE2 Chest/Shoulders/Elbows isn't even as energy resisting as CE1 Back.

I also have an Alpinestars Bionic Plus Vest. This has a hard armour on the front and back. It's rated exactly the same as the Paragon but the difference in protection - front & back is incomparable ! The new CE tests are in use now, so hopefully things will be a bit better for comparisons in the future.

The whole vest seemed really well thought out, but paying the extra to go for the chest protection version over the normal only gives you a bit of ineffective soft armour which is a shame :-( It will stop a tree branch stinging, but it's not going to help you if you hit a tree/stump/rock/hard ground.

For me, having tried several different alternatives, I'm actually sticking with this as an armoured base layer. The fit is excellent, the airflow is excellent, the back protector is good. The chest, na ! that's awful ! How it can be CE1 I have no idea, it's nothing at all like anything else I have which is CE1.

I'l be cutting out the foam side insulation pads (as they're pointless as protection) and will eventually cut out and replace the chest pad then use the vest as a base layer for the 7855 for up-armour.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A quick updated on this one having run it a few days with different combinations and different temperatures.

Fit :

Still excellent.

Comfort and practicality :

If worn on it's own, heat wise the back is good. The two foam side panels are held in with a single piece of the same mesh as the rest of the side jacket, so you get the two strips of foam insulation and doubling up on the mesh - so for the protection offered (none really), you get quite a large extra insulated area.

The other comfort issue is fairly minor. Ideally you'll wear this as a base layer. Unfortunately the stitching they've used on the back in a few places, but mainly round the chest insert is quite prickly. Once you're moving about you don't really notice it. But when you're going steady or sitting about in it, it feels a bit like 1000 blunt needles resting against your skin.

The chest, being a semi rigid foam panel, with a few holes drilled in, gets a lot hotter than the back. This wouldn't be so bad if it felt like it was going to give you some protection in a crash, but it doesn't.

Conclusion :

Bought in it's Back only configuration, the paragon Plus, it's a nice breathable back protector with good coverage and comfortable fit.

The Pro version with chest and side protection is hugely lacking in terms of protection offered for heat gained.

I've not tried the jacket version, but if the shoulders and elbows are anything like the chest, then it's not going to offer much protection in exchange for the heat and discomfort of wearing it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi, No, I think the shoulder protection will be quite good. It won't be "reactive" (harden on impact) but I think it will still provide fairly good impact protection and should be more breathable/cooler !! than many of the reactive foams.

Cheers.

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
Hi, No, I think the shoulder protection will be quite good. It won't be "reactive" (harden on impact) but I think it will still provide fairly good impact protection and should be more breathable/cooler !! than many of the reactive foams.

Cheers.
Thanks, ir better the reactive foams like D30? More confortable?

I want confortable, With zipper, not too hot because in Live in Spain.

I am also looking for the Bluegrass D30 Bluegrass Armour B&S D3O - Chaqueta de protección | Envío gratuito | Bergfreunde.es

Too much expensive but with D30 and It can be extracted to wash the shirt.

Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For hot, I prefer the "Racer Motion top 2". But it's quite expensive. It's cool though and none restrictive. The arms are removable if it's really hot.

Not much chest armour, but the rest is D3O and all removable for washing. It's comfortable, easy to put on and off. Stays in place.

The Racer is cooler and more comfortable than the alpinestars.

They do a cheaper version the "Racer Mountain top 2" with SASTEC armour instead of D3O - which is still good armour, but I think the version they have used is not as breathable/is warmer. Also, the arms are not removable.

I know someone with the Bluegrass and they like it. But given the choice, I'd go for the Racer, it has the newer D3O back armour which is more breathable than the one in the bluegrass.

I think they sell the Racer at Alltricks and various other sites, so you might find it cheaper. You can normally return them if you've not used them and don't like them.

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
Thanks, it is good item. I read ur review Racer Motion Top 2 - EMTB Forums

But I am 197cm and 95kg and I read the coment: "
  1. Ordered a Racer Motion Top 2. It looks really good, but even the largest size (XL) is so small. Probably only for riders with less than 80kg
"

I think the Alpinestar will be my choice if the protection will be extraible

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
ive recently purhcased the alpine stars bionic action jacket, wont get a chance to use it until i can get to a trail center bit sits comfy enough off the bike, doesn't make me feel like a power ranger but i would have prefferred removable elbow pads as the ones fitted clearly will protect you very well but i have the softer more comfortable alpine stars paragon elbow pads that id prefer for 75% of most rider i think

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
For hot, I prefer the "Racer Motion top 2". But it's quite expensive. It's cool though and none restrictive. The arms are removable if it's really hot.

Not much chest armour, but the rest is D3O and all removable for washing. It's comfortable, easy to put on and off. Stays in place.

They do a cheaper version the "Racer Mountain top 2" with SASTEC armour instead of D3O - which is still good armour, but I think the version they have used is not as breathable/is warmer. Also, the arms are not removable.

I know someone with the Bluegrass and they like it. But given the choice, I'd go for the Racer, it has the newer D3O back armour which is more breathable than the one in the bluegrass.

I think they sell the Racer at Alltricks and various other sites, so you might find it cheaper. You can normally return them if you've not used them and don't like them.
The Racer only has one CE, only the back. Not in the chest or Sholders. Is enought? I like the Racer, the posibility to keep out the arms, zipper, etc. I am 108cm chest, the limit ir 107cm.https://www.racergloves.com/es/protecciones-para-adultos/639-2976-motion-top-2.html#/2-tamano-m/11-color-002_negro

Maybe the Alpinestar Squence has more protector...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Racer only has one CE, only the back. Not in the chest or Sholders.
The Racer Shoulders and elbows are also CE1. The Elbows don't feel very thick, but they seem to work for minor impacts. The Chest is just foam pads, so not much chest protection. Unfortunately, if you hit something hard enough even with CE2 chest, you'll still break ribs.

The Alpinestars chest says it's CE1 - but there's no way it is !! Not sure if they changed the designs after they tested them. In some pictures it looks like the same material as the back, but it isn't. In the picture on your first link it looks like the same mesh armour. On the two different ones I tried, they were both just a semi rigid foam.

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
OK, thanks, I will forget Alpinestar.

I Think Bluegrass Would me a good option and offer normal protection and confort.
Ummm, I am looking for the Racer 2 D30 and is like a Bluegrass better versión, better back, more long On the back... and the same price

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao

I bought the racer Top 2 D30 but I feel very extrange with it.

The D30 protectors are very slim, and for example the Shoulders are small and I don´t think in case of an accident protect my body.
The chest portector like a enduro TShirt, veeery slim.

The back is OK but I usually wear a Evoc Stage 12 L liker this Mochila Evoc Stage 12L Carbono Gris Chili Rojo a partir de 109,99 € en vez de 130,00 €
Not witg CE protector but one foam...

I am at time to return the racer 2, is there more protectve Armour? I also don´t want to look like American football player, jaja.

Maybe the Alpinestar?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I bought the racer Top 2 D30 but I feel very extrange with it.

The D30 protectors are very slim, and for example the Shoulders are small and I don´t think in case of an accident protect my body.
The chest portector like a enduro TShirt, veeery slim.

The back is OK but I usually wear a Evoc Stage 12 L liker this Mochila Evoc Stage 12L Carbono Gris Chili Rojo a partir de 109,99 € en vez de 130,00 €
Not witg CE protector but one foam...

I am at time to return the racer 2, is there more protectve Armour? I also don´t want to look like American football player, jaja.

Maybe the Alpinestar?
It's difficult. The move is towards thinner and less intrusive armour. The Racer is about the least intrusive for the best protection - with that as a balance - focused on usability and heat management.

I run my racer with a different back armour, thinner, but more effective. I find the shoulders ok, and they've been good in accidents. But others have worried about the shoulders moving. If you still have it, get someone to hit you really hard with it on - it's surprisingly effective !

I've just switched back to my TLD7855 for winter riding, but I run upgraded Alpinestars moto shoulder guards in it. The elbows are more supportive than the racer and it has much better all over body protection - which is more effective than it feels. But won't stop you breaking ribs and shoulders in hard crashes. I had a good crash in that at speed last week and went down a 6m drop and was fine. It hardly weighs anything though, so I think for your size you'll feel it's like wearing a shirt and maybe it won't give you confidence as an protection ?

You have the advantage of being larger, so maybe the "slim" armour feels disproportionately small to your body size. I also have a Fox titan which is incredibly effective (never actually broken any bones when wearing it), but on my body feels bulky. Maybe for you, solid armour would work better as "proportionally" it might not look that big ?

localone

Jun 17, 2019
Bilbao
It's difficult. The move is towards thinner and less intrusive armour. The Racer is about the least intrusive for the best protection - with that as a balance - focused on usability and heat management.

I run my racer with a different back armour, thinner, but more effective. I find the shoulders ok, and they've been good in accidents. But others have worried about the shoulders moving. If you still have it, get someone to hit you really hard with it on - it's surprisingly effective !

I've just switched back to my TLD7855 for winter riding, but I run upgraded Alpinestars moto shoulder guards in it. The elbows are more supportive than the racer and it has much better all over body protection - which is more effective than it feels. But won't stop you breaking ribs and shoulders in hard crashes. I had a good crash in that at speed last week and went down a 6m drop and was fine. It hardly weighs anything though, so I think for your size you'll feel it's like wearing a shirt and maybe it won't give you confidence as an protection ?

You have the advantage of being larger, so maybe the "slim" armour feels disproportionately small to your body size. I also have a Fox titan which is incredibly effective (never actually broken any bones when wearing it), but on my body feels bulky. Maybe for you, solid armour would work better as "proportionally" it might not look that big ?
Thanks, I don’t want maximun protector like Fox, bit little more than the Race D30 or Bluegrass.

Maybe the TLD short will be another opción.
This is one of my friend with zipper

4A90145A-131F-4115-8AC6-7BA02FDE8FEA.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Carlbiker went through several other options :

The Scott Softcon Air Pro is possibly another possibility, but you'd also have to buy the CE2 shoulders at the same time if you didn't like the CE1 ones in the Racer. The armour panels aren't all removable though so you'd have to be careful washing/spinning.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles