All New 2023 Orbea Wild

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
Has there been any issues with the 2023 Alu frames like for the 2022 Alu frames?
All my bikes have carbon frames but I found the H10 at a resonable price.

H10 5715 euro.
M20 6251 euro (not sure it´s worth the higher price for carbon frame with lower spec)

OrangeCountyRider

Aug 10, 2023
Orange County California
Has there been any issues with the 2023 Alu frames like for the 2022 Alu frames?
All my bikes have carbon frames but I found the H10 at a resonable price.

H10 5715 euro.
M20 6251 euro (not sure it´s worth the higher price for carbon frame with lower spec)
The frames haven’t been out long enough to know if they have issues or not. I have an alloy bike and it’s perfect so far. On an e-bike the extra weight doesn’t make a big difference, I think the stiffness is similar to carbon, and I like how Orbea smoothes the welds. It makes much more sense to get the better spec than to get carbon. The Fox 38 and Float X is so much better than the Rockshox 35 and Float shock. Get the H10

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
Hey all new to the forum. I have a wild showing up tomorrow in the m-20 configuration. I’m ditching the sector fork immediately. Does anyone have experience running a fox 36 on this bike. I am a lightweight at 155 lbs, or 70 kilo’s. I have found a good deal on a 36 and it would save some weight. I don’t want to buy a new fork that feels like a noodle. Riding in Colorado mostly front range trails so nothing too crazy, but I would like to be able to handle some chunk.

I’m leaning towards maybe I just get a 38 but thought I would ask first.

OrangeCountyRider

Aug 10, 2023
Orange County California
Hey all new to the forum. I have a wild showing up tomorrow in the m-20 configuration. I’m ditching the sector fork immediately. Does anyone have experience running a fox 36 on this bike. I am a lightweight at 155 lbs, or 70 kilo’s. I have found a good deal on a 36 and it would save some weight. I don’t want to buy a new fork that feels like a noodle. Riding in Colorado mostly front range trails so nothing too crazy, but I would like to be able to handle some chunk.

I’m leaning towards maybe I just get a 38 but thought I would ask first.
Just FYI I think the crown of the Fox 38 e-bike version where the fork meets the head tube is designed to fit the Orbea better. With a regular 38 and probably 36 the crown won’t line up perfectly. They work fine but don’t look as good imo. If you’re super picky about how the bike looks then this is another thing to consider. Another thing I’ve realized is that you should always go for better performance rather than trying to save weight on an e-bike. I’m thinking of adding another pound to the bike with a Vorsprung Smashpot in my 38

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
Just FYI I think the crown of the Fox 38 e-bike version where the fork meets the head tube is designed to fit the Orbea better. With a regular 38 and probably 36 the crown won’t line up perfectly. They work fine but don’t look as good imo. If you’re super picky about how the bike looks then this is another thing to consider. Another thing I’ve realized is that you should always go for better performance rather than trying to save weight on an e-bike. I’m thinking of adding another pound to the bike with a Vorsprung Smashpot in my 38
Thanks for the info. I’m not all that concerned on the appearance of it but I appreciate you passing the info along. I can appreciate your comment about adding weight to improve performance. Sometimes that’s very worth it. I figured I would check and see if anyone has run a 36 on the bike and how they felt about it. It would save a half pound. I’d like to try to get the bike around 50ish pounds without compromising the bikes abilities for the type of riding I like to do. I’ve also found a 36 at a very good price. Ultimately price isn’t the final driver but I do love to find a good bargain. Thanks for your help!

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
Thanks for the info. I’m not all that concerned on the appearance of it but I appreciate you passing the info along. I can appreciate your comment about adding weight to improve performance. Sometimes that’s very worth it. I figured I would check and see if anyone has run a 36 on the bike and how they felt about it. It would save a half pound. I’d like to try to get the bike around 50ish pounds without compromising the bikes abilities for the type of riding I like to do. I’ve also found a 36 at a very good price. Ultimately price isn’t the final driver but I do love to find a good bargain. Thanks for your help!
The 36 is a great fork, as a bigger dude who’s ridden most modern forks I can promise the 36 will not feel like a noodle.

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
IMG_1005.jpeg

First ride on the wild today and I was not disappointed. The only other e-bike I’ve ever ridden is a Rocky Mountain Instinct power play but I have been riding mtb since the late 80’s. This bike is amazingly fun! I don’t feel like it gives anything up to the Rocky on power and I prefer how it handles over the Rocky. The bike definitely enjoys being leaned over and being as long as it is, it needs to be layed over to get through tuns at speed. The harder this bike is pushed the more it comes alive.

I got the bike in the m-20 trim yesterday. Immediately put on a saddle that I like on and swapped the tires to tubeless but other than that it’s currently stock.

The fox 35 silver tk fork that comes on this spec is hot garbage but I knew this when I bought it. Honestly it works better than I thought it would which is still not good. Everything on the fork is cheap and it’s almost impossible to tune it to any significant level. I ordered a fox 36 grip 2 factory that should be here on Tuesday.

I actually thought I would end up replacing the rear dps shock but I was actually impressed with how it performed. I will hold off on replacing the shock until I’m able to ride the bike with the new fork. I’m hopeful that the rear shock will be fine.

The sram DB8 brakes are significantly better than I was expecting. Those will stay for the time being. I was intending on swapping them out with 4 pot XT’s or Magura MT7’s, but I will hold off on that for now.

The only other plans I have for the bike are installing a one up carbon bar that I have laying around that is cut to 780mm and some carbon wheels. Beyond that I may upgrade things as they break or are worn out.

I can’t even describe how fun this bike is. I’m truly amazed!

Last edited:

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
Installed the fox 36 and it really balanced out the front and back of the bike. This bike is amazing!

Headset cable routing I could do without 🤣. It took me about an extra 20 minutes screwing around with the headset spacers etc. getting the fork installed. The good part is now I understand it and it will go more quickly when I need to service the fork.

What a bike though. I am having so much fun on this thing!!

IMG_1015.jpeg

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
Anyone else have issues with the Orbea house brand dropper. It has been working great and it died on my ride today. Going up and down very slowly. And now doesn’t want to do either without significant effort.

I tried loosening up the seat post clamp and that didn’t help any. It makes a large suctioning sound at the bottom of the stroke. I would guess the hydraulic damper is shot. I’m going to start down the warranty road on it but figured I would ask here.

While I sort that out with Orbea I’m planning on picking up a one up 210mm post. Anyone have any input on the one up post?

Last edited:

steveberry16

Sep 20, 2023
Newport, RI
Just looking at pictures it looks like the adjustments would be difficult to reach. And possibly touch the frame.
Yeah I recently bought a new Vivid and tried to fit it, but there are a few issues. Firstly it bottoms out on the frame below the control switches and secondly the air can also touches the pivot link. So unless someone comes out with a way to accommodate the trunnion at the top (which would make so much more sense ORBEA), there is currently no way the new Vivid will work, which is very unfortunate because it looks like an awesome shock!

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
Water problems:
I just serviced my Wild M10 2023 and turned it upside down...nearly half a bottle of water came out from stem.
It seems like water stored in the upper frame and it pours out via Bosch System Controller.

I took it out and tries do dry it off...

Think its gonna be some major electrical issues regarding this if its not fixed...
My guess is that when Im cleaning the Wild waterhose both the stem and controller area is not sealed enough..

Will warranty cover this due "bad" design of stem and upp part of the frame?
Did you ever figure out where the water got inside?

nyc863

Sep 4, 2023
sydney
Regarding wiring USB, for phone power:
I wanted to power my phone from the battery so discovered the Kiox display has a USB port, according to online searches. Got close to ordering the special mini USB micro type A to lightning cable (quite an unusual cable) before realising the current kiox, that is all display, now has no USB port. Back to drawing board.

So there is a light output socket on the Bosch, and you can wire up an any-volt to USB converter but the bottom line on this is (a) Dealer has to UNLOCK the light port using dealer software, for a fee, and when they do it (b) they will ask the voltage you want it to run, Does not matter? yes it does because Bosch software increases unusable battery buffer according to wattage to supply two hours of light. Apparently 3w is the lowest you can select, which is the 6v setting.
Then you will "lose" only 6wh of your battery buffer. If you want to permanently lose a minimum amount of battery this would be the preference.

Of course 6v / 3w is not enough to drive a 5v / 1 amp USB port so maybe the next setting up is better. I am not sure if a usb converter trying to charge a phone drawing 5v/1 amp will cause the 6v light port configured by the dealer, to brown out, or the port can actually support any draw, they just assume a 6v light will draw less so reserve less.

Anyway.. that's the info on getting a USB socket on these bikes. There should also be a way of tapping into the motor output (so, voltage only with motor power) which would not involve a dealer or bosh, but might void your warranty.

dieselbtle99

Subscriber
Sep 1, 2023
United States
I was thinking of getting the range extender but were i ride it’s semi technical with lots of long steep tech and or short punchy climbs with the choice of a paved road climb or a very technical steep climb. Last two rides were 15.75miles and 17.3 miles. 63% and 58% left. I’m mainly in tour+ with some eco so I would be out of gas myself before battery goes dead.

nyc863

Sep 4, 2023
sydney
Is there any solution to replace the through headset routing with better through headset routing because I hate it.
The stack of silly little half-rings that fit together like a metal puzzle and fall apart at a touch combined with inflexible cables that get chafed easily combined with the possibility of scratching the paint.

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
Is there any solution to replace the through headset routing with better through headset routing because I hate it.
The stack of silly little half-rings that fit together like a metal puzzle and fall apart at a touch combined with inflexible cables that get chafed easily combined with the possibility of scratching the paint.
You can get a kit from Orbea to run a standard stem and spacers. The cables still run through the headset area but they go outside of the headset spacers. When you do this you lose the knock block aspect of your stock headset.

If you are on an XL you should be fine. I’m on a large size frame and with a fox 36 fork, my compression adjustment on the drive side, and the air cap on the non drive side, would barely miss the downtube if the bars over rotated in a crash. I would think smaller than large and the controls at the top of your fork legs would likely hit the frame and damage it.

Somewhere in this thread there are pictures of people switching to standard stem and spacers.

nyc863

Sep 4, 2023
sydney
You can get a kit from Orbea to run a standard stem and spacers. The cables still run through the headset area but they go outside of the headset spacers. When you do this you lose the knock block aspect of your stock headset.

If you are on an XL you should be fine. I’m on a large size frame and with a fox 36 fork, my compression adjustment on the drive side, and the air cap on the non drive side, would barely miss the downtube if the bars over rotated in a crash. I would think smaller than large and the controls at the top of your fork legs would likely hit the frame and damage it.

Somewhere in this thread there are pictures of people switching to standard stem and spacers.
thanks, can you point me at exactly the right kit? or post in this 20 page thread?
because the Orbea website is a nightmare :(

baddevotions

Dec 17, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Probably a bit late to this party, but got my M10 with some upgrades yesterday. It's a bonny looking bike, but one thing i wasn't aware was the carbon layout makes the paint look crap IMO. I went for the cosmic carbon look as i wanted the subtle sparkle, but at certain angles it looks milky which is a bit pants....

IMG_1296-304.jpg

Anyway, main reason for the post is i wanted to ask if the ConnectModule can fit? This gives the GPS tracking and immobiliser & alarm feature. If anyone has done this i'd be keen to know.

thanks in advance!

nyc863

Sep 4, 2023
sydney
Not sure if this will work but here goes.

Orbea

thanks for that.

Another wrinkle, I dropped off the bike to get wrapped with RideWrap and the guy called and said he couldn't really do it because the bike already has a partial wrap from factory so he didn't want to remove that, and didn't want to put a wrap on a wrap and the other option of cutting around it isn't satisfying either.

My mistake for not realising it has a wrap already, but what did other owners do? is the factory wrap good enough, did you remove it and do a proper wrap?

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
thanks for that.

Another wrinkle, I dropped off the bike to get wrapped with RideWrap and the guy called and said he couldn't really do it because the bike already has a partial wrap from factory so he didn't want to remove that, and didn't want to put a wrap on a wrap and the other option of cutting around it isn't satisfying either.

My mistake for not realising it has a wrap already, but what did other owners do? is the factory wrap good enough, did you remove it and do a proper wrap?
I am really impressed with how much factory protection was installed on the frame when I got it. Significantly more protection than any other bike I have purchased. I’m running it as is, however I’m not overly concerned with scratches etc.

You may be able to get away with some top tube and head tube coverage. If you really like to keep the frame in good shape you could have him install all the pieces he can in areas that don’t already have coverage. I would be nervous removing the factory installed stuff but it may be no big deal?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles