Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Bisher gab es genau hier ein Hintertürchen für illegales Motor-Tuning: Mit Apps von Drittanbietern konnte man den Radumfang so manipulieren, dass der Motor des Turbo Levo auch über den erlaubten 25 km/h noch unterstützte und nicht selten sah man Levos mit hohen Geschwindigkeiten an der Eisdiele vorbeidüsen. Diesem illegalen Treiben haben die Software-Entwickler von Specialized nun den Kampf angesagt und schließen sämtliche Hintertütchen für illegales Tuning. Daumen hoch dafür!<

Translated:
Previously there was a backdoor for illegal engine tuning: With third-party apps you could manipulate the wheel circumference so that the engine of the Turbo Levo supported over the allowed 25 km / h and not infrequently you saw Levos at high speeds the ice cream parlor. The software developers of Specialized have now announced the fight to this illegal activity and close all the behind-the-scenes for illegal tuning.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
It seems there is a lot to like, but also a lot missing. No anti theift or gps tracking, no pin protection for connecting to bike ect
I would of though they could of integrated some of this into the new bike for sure.

Lithium

Jun 4, 2018
UK
It seems there is a lot to like, but also a lot missing. No anti theift or gps tracking, no pin protection for connecting to bike ect
I would of though they could of integrated some of this into the new bike for sure.

Was just reading Mission Control Dynamic Support Page | Specialized.com - looks like there is pin protection with new Levo, although the FAQ doesn't mention the new Levo specifically I'm pretty sure that's what they're talking about.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
What is "Shuttle Mode"? It's mentioned in here:

They talk about it in the EMBN video. Basically it is like Turbo, only the max assistance level cuts in at a lower level of effort giving an easier shuttle back to the top of the hill, but with a less natural feel (and obviously a corresponding hit on battery life).

Last edited:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Bike looks great. Better than expected after the last few days of negativity. Colours definitely better than expected. No doubt will be a fantastic bike to ride. A lot of happy people on this forum today I imagine. ?. Better than the average Tuesday eh.
It is amazing that the colours that got leaked were pretty much all the worst ones, S-Works excepted. This bike seems to look far better in the dark colours so the bulbous area around the BB is disguised. Welds around the motor area are still pretty hideous on the ally ones IMO though. I like the fact they went for an 11 speed drivetrain with cheaper wear components, but am not a fan of the battery loading from underneath, though I can see it probably give a stiffness advantage compared to the side load on the latest Trek Powerflys.

Probably still my first ebike in a couple of years once it's depreciated a whack (there is no way I am paying £7k+ they want for the Expert spec with the bigger battery).
Translated:
Previously there was a backdoor for illegal engine tuning: With third-party apps you could manipulate the wheel circumference so that the engine of the Turbo Levo supported over the allowed 25 km / h and not infrequently you saw Levos at high speeds the ice cream parlor. The software developers of Specialized have now announced the fight to this illegal activity and close all the behind-the-scenes for illegal tuning.
Time will tell, but I strongly suspect they will have underestimated the ingenuity of those who want to bypass the 25kmh limit on their bikes

Last edited:

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
this are the news from emtb-news.de!

>Bisher gab es genau hier ein Hintertürchen für illegales Motor-Tuning: Mit Apps von Drittanbietern konnte man den Radumfang so manipulieren, dass der Motor des Turbo Levo auch über den erlaubten 25 km/h noch unterstützte und nicht selten sah man Levos mit hohen Geschwindigkeiten an der Eisdiele vorbeidüsen. Diesem illegalen Treiben haben die Software-Entwickler von Specialized nun den Kampf angesagt und schließen sämtliche Hintertütchen für illegales Tuning. Daumen hoch dafür!<
I'm very happy for this, because, in my opinion, but it is only my opinion, the speed limit should be not removed because the Levo is a eBike for mountain and on trail on mountain is not safety to go over 25km/h..
May be the other parameters could be changed also on the new Levo.. we will see..

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I'm very happy for this, because, in my opinion, but it is only my opinion, the speed limit should be not removed because the Levo is a eBike for mountain and on trail on mountain is not safety to go over 25km/h..
May be the other parameters could be changed also on the new Levo.. we will see..

Its common to hit above 30kph on my trails in a manual bike, it doesnt make sense to have a 25kph limit

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Yipes, I think I'll miss this 'upgrade'. Two sticks in the mud for me are :

1 : Battery size. Yes, it's a larger capacity, but it is 645mm LOOOOOOOONG, essentially making this new battery impossible to carry. The 2018 battery was about at the limit of what you could fit in a backpack. I'll take my lighter 500Wh battery for short rides, thanks, and for longer missions I can take my 2nd battery and still have an extra 300Wh range (1000Wh vs 700Wh).

2 : Removal of 'backdoor' for 3rd party apps. This is a deal breaker - I've come to love the integration of the BLEvo app; for both heart-rate bike control and also for the de-restriction. I love that I can pedal the bike at high speeds on the flat sections; it makes my rides quite fun when I'm heading to our local mountains - which are about a 10 kilometre fire trail ride from our property. People will disagree, but the 25kmph limit is too restrictive.

Battery (Pic from this link : Der schlanke Akku hat 700 Wh und eine Gesamtlänge von 645 mm) :

14757-vkn6r6is68s8-specializedturbolevofirstride_dsf6761-medium.jpg

This guy's is definitely longer than most others! Well done Specialized . . . ! :poop:

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland

1 : Battery size. Yes, it's a larger capacity, but it is 645mm LOOOOOOOONG, essentially making this new battery impossible to carry. The 2018 battery was about at the limit of what you could fit in a backpack. I'll take my lighter 500Wh battery for short rides, thanks, and for longer missions I can take my 2nd battery and still have an extra 300Wh range (1000Wh vs 700Wh).

2 : Removal of 'backdoor' for 3rd party apps. This is a deal breaker - I've come to love the integration of the BLEvo app; for both heart-rate bike control and also for the de-restriction. I love that I can pedal the bike at high speeds on the flat sections; it makes my rides quite fun when I'm heading to our local mountains - which are about a 10 kilometre fire trail ride from our property. People will disagree, but the 25kmph limit is too restrictive.

Battery (Pic from this link : Der schlanke Akku hat 700 Wh und eine Gesamtlänge von 645 mm) :

This guy's is definitely longer than most others! Well done Specialized . . . ! :poop:
why not 1000w, same size??

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Still wondering if anyone (maybe Al Boneta) has any answers:
I was planning on getting this new revised Levo this week and making the Pike into a 160mm also, glad you chimmed in on that. Any negatives on changing it to the 160mm? Or should I just sell the new Pike and get a Lyrik? Most importantly: I am 6’2 with a 33” inseam. Would you get a Large or Xl and why? I’ve rode a stumpjumper fsr 29 for years in a Large with farily short stem. Short stem is always good and maybe the XL has better higher front end? Wheelbase wider better in E bikes? With the adjustable command seats though, maybe the Large is better? Looks like the new Levo has long top tube but what size to get? By the time the bike arrives in the shops, I might grow another inch, heres why:
Was told by a dealer today (just like last year this time): “The new bikes will not be available till Feburary”. Seems like the norm here in the USA, show them the new bike now, wet their appetites, but make em wait and let them go snow skiing, then they can get this in the Spring. Why? Maybe Specialized likes Europe more and supplies arrive fast? By Febuary might as well wait for the 2020, and keep repeating the process. Who wants to wait till Febuary to get this old tech?

ernstal

Sep 6, 2018
Austria
does anyone know anything about availability in europe?

I'm stuggling between the blue-green comp and the blue-white comp carbon version. The comp carbon version is equipped with the fox rythm 34 instead of the rockshox revelation at the aluminium version and a fox dps rear shock insteat of the rockshox rt3.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
There does not seem to be prices released for Germany or Switzerland, so I will have to wait and see if it is much change. I do like the Comp in beige but with the green stickers not so much, I would love it if it came without them and add or replace as you like. But I guess it makes sense for a company to have free billboards everywhere;-))

What is everyone's price predictions for 2nd 2018 Levos, are they going to crash?

Gatano

Sep 8, 2018
Italy

I agree with you, I also need to do some(many) flats, I can go up to 40km/h with my legs, but i get tired, I have an e-mtb to avoid getting too much tired and enjoy my ride more and for longer time, yes "it's illegal" but it's the "law" that's wrong not us, for safety reason no one will change that, so we need to live with this limit, but we could hack it, we all know that no rider with or without assistance should go at speeds that are dangerous for us or for others, the motor is not changing this even if is unlimited.

If no hack can be applied to "my" expert 2019 it will be replaced by my current comp 2018 with added 29 wheels.

Sorry Specialized, you lost my money. probably forever, where I live I still have to find a rider that hasn't changed the wheel size, yes it's illegal I know, we are all very dangerous criminals in Italy ;)

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
I was planning on getting this new revised Levo this week and making the Pike into a 160mm also, glad you chimmed in on that. Any negatives on changing it to the 160mm? Or should I just sell the new Pike and get a Lyrik?

Just ride the bike with the 150mm Pike. We are talking 10mm here, 0,4". If you later feel you need more travel or beefier fork, then upgrade.

Most importantly: I am 6’2 with a 33” inseam. Would you get a Large or Xl and why?

I'm 6'2 also and would definetly get the XL. Levo (even the new one) is not that big. The reach is 20mm longer but the seat tube angle is steeper and the stem shorter. So the distance between saddle and handlebar should be pretty much the same as before. But as always, test ride! Especially if you're used to small bikes like you wrote.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I dont think so 2018 got a lot going for it
Smaller more manageable battery
Range extender
Third party apps
Same if not more powerful motor
And if you want a massive weight saving change the wheelset

bigborett

Jul 17, 2018
Australia

Not trading up Tori? Don't think I will be either.

Mind you, I wonder if I use a hammer whether I could make that new battery fit?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK

Agree on the battery dimensions, I think a second 500Wh would make more sense for most riders. You need to give the BLEvo app creator a bit of time to see what he can do though - uncrackable software is exceptionally hard to write, lots of companies have come embarrassingly unstuck making claims like that in the past...

simda

Sep 5, 2018
Switzerland
There does not seem to be prices released for Germany or Switzerland, so I will have to wait and see if it is much change. I do like the Comp in beige but with the green stickers not so much, I would love it if it came without them and add or replace as you like. But I guess it makes sense for a company to have free billboards everywhere;-))

What is everyone's price predictions for 2nd 2018 Levos, are they going to crash?

9399 Chf for the expert version ??
1299 Chf for the sworks version????

...seen on cycleaddicts.ch

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Specialized Levo FSR - 4499 €
Specialized-Levo-2019-Gamme-Copyright-Harkooz-Specialized-Vojomag-6.jpg

Specialized Levo FSR Comp - 5699 €
Specialized-Levo-2019-Gamme-Copyright-Harkooz-Specialized-Vojomag-5.jpg

Specialized Levo FSR Comp Carbon - 6799 €
Specialized-Levo-2019-Gamme-Copyright-Harkooz-Specialized-Vojomag-3.jpg

Specialized Levo FSR Carbon Expert - 7999 €
Specialized-Levo-2019-Gamme-Copyright-Harkooz-Specialized-Vojomag-2.jpg

Specialized Levo FSR S-Works - 10999 €
Specialized-Levo-2019-Gamme-Copyright-Harkooz-Specialized-Vojomag-1.jpg

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield

Totally agree with you tori I’ll be keeping my beloved hacked 2018 Levo

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
One thing that is usually overlooked, but maybe important to someone(me).
The new architecture also leaves room for a bottle cage that can comfortably receive a 750ml bottle

Specialized-Levo-2019-Expert-700wh-Test-details-batterie-geometrie-prix-Copyright-OBeart-Vojomag-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles