All New 2019 Specialized Turbo Levo launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
The battery removes from the bottom of the downtube.

Yes, you need to turn the bike up side down to remove the battery. PITA for those who charge the battery off the bike (like me). Also it looks like the battery is still connected to the motor with the cable like in the old Levos. I thought it would be the first thing to go in re-design..

But the bike does look nice. Some good colors there. Geometry is what was expected. According to E-mountainbike magazine, all models come with the Brose S Mag motor (y) Surprised to see that Specialized's own Command post has been replaced by X-Fusion Manic dropper post. I'm not familiar with Manic, is it any reliable?

Spec is a bit low for the price, but that's Specialized. The bike with all the good stuff is € 8k and that is the cheapest with the 700Wh battery :cry:

E-mountainbike magazine has posted a quick review with some nice close up photos:
First ride review: Specialized Turbo Levo 2019 – The beginning of a new eMTB era? | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Adasb

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2018
New Zealand
The expert is only $400 more than last year. They just made the biggest investment in a new platform in the company’s history, which came a year after previously developing a carbon Levo that only saw one model year.
The new motor is more expensive and so is the battery. The new software is unique and exclusive to Specialized. They didn’t just buy a standard Brose Mag S system.
The costs of manufacturing are up, the cost of shipping is up. The cost of materials is up.
The fact that my new Expert is only $700 more than an aluminum version I bought in 2017 and $400 more than a 2018 Carbon Expert and now I get a 700wh battery is a miracle. They are not greedy, just a company that knows what it needs to be sustainable.

Al, what was the killer feature that got you all excited last week?

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
The new software is unique and exclusive to Specialized. They didn’t just buy a standard Brose Mag S system.
Not so sure about that. In the past everything look like it was a "standard" motor and they add a layer in the battery management for the communication and parameters access. I would think it's still the same.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Not so sure about that. In the past everything look like it was a "standard" motor and they add a layer in the battery management for the communication and parameters access. I would think it's still the same.
It’s not the same

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
The battery removes from the bottom of the downtube.

Here we are :)
levo 19 battery.jpg

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
So are the sizes the same as the 2018 models. I am 5' 10' and felt best on the Large Levo Comp Carbon is that still the size to go for?

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
I’m sure they (Specialized) write the software which determines the characteristics of the power delivery.
I would be interested to see the evidence you have. But many things are possible outside of the motor and for this part I have no doubt.

I still think it's just a Brose motor with a Specialized sticker.

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
nice, no more speed tunning on levos!! spezialiced closed the software back door for tunning!
whats up no with all this apps like #blevo #genessis?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I would be interested to see the evidence you have. But many things are possible outside of the motor and for this part I have no doubt.

I still think it's just a Brose motor with a Specialized sticker.
Of course, but it’s the software that can make the difference right? Specialized mention custom software:

“Our engineers in Switzerland devoted years, literally, to making this a reality by creating custom software that drives the most cutting-edge motor in its class. And it’s all exclusive to the Turbo Levo—a motor that provides an incredibly smooth and natural boost to your own pedaling efforts. It’s You, Only Faster.”

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
It's OK, it looks nice after all :)

Seriously thou, that looks good. I guess @Al Boneta was right that we should wait for the launch rather than getting all excited over the leaks ?

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
According to Pinkbike "the brand new 700 Wh battery weighs 750 g more than the 500 Wh" and they are the same size and shape. Hopefully that means its possible to fit a 500Wh into the Expert to reduce weight by 1.65 lbs for shorter rides.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
According to Pinkbike "the brand new 700 Wh battery weighs 750 g more than the 500 Wh" and they are the same size and shape. Hopefully that means its possible to fit a 500Wh into the Expert to reduce weight by 1.65 lbs for shorter rides.
It will be.

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
Are you sure? Did you already test the other APP?
this are the news from emtb-news.de!

>Bisher gab es genau hier ein Hintertürchen für illegales Motor-Tuning: Mit Apps von Drittanbietern konnte man den Radumfang so manipulieren, dass der Motor des Turbo Levo auch über den erlaubten 25 km/h noch unterstützte und nicht selten sah man Levos mit hohen Geschwindigkeiten an der Eisdiele vorbeidüsen. Diesem illegalen Treiben haben die Software-Entwickler von Specialized nun den Kampf angesagt und schließen sämtliche Hintertütchen für illegales Tuning. Daumen hoch dafür!<

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles