Rail (625Wh) Air pump bracket that works on Rail 9.7 wide down tube (solved)

Hotrod

Nov 30, 2023
So Cal
I purchased a small tire pump and bracket that mounts under the water bottle cage. However, the down tube on the Rail is so wide that it does not fit properly as the pump rides on the frame. Has anyone run across a wider bracket for this situation? I could use spacers to move it up but the shock barely clears the water bottle now, not much clearance to work with on a medium frame. Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue.

Hotrod

Nov 30, 2023
So Cal
Problem solved! Sharing for others who may be having the same issue. My LBS had a Oneup brand EDC 100cc MTB pump and the bracket has slotted holes and is wide enough that the pump clears the frame. Returned my Topeak and replaced with this and all is good. It's a tad expensive but I tested the pump and works very good and you can tell it's well made. Holds a multi-tool and puncture repair as well which saves room in the hip pack.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Could you post a pic of the new pump and location. I believe OneUp has two different lengths for this pump/tool combo. I’ve got the same bike but I use the mount for a water bottle. Thanks

Hotrod

Nov 30, 2023
So Cal
Here are the pictures

20231231_155133.jpg 20231231_155216.jpg 20231231_155229.jpg

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Glad you solved it Hotrod. Here is another tip for others having plastic bracket issues . . . True, Treks have a curved downtube but thats only part of the issue. But the bigger issue is most brackets are made of just "cheap plastic". I broke 3 last year and finally found this brand (who also makes quality pumps) Lezyne. They make an Aluminium Alloy Pump bracket which can be bought directly off their Lenzyne website for $15. They come in silver or black. I found the problem to be the raised female stud hole on Treks. It tends to bite into any plastic bracket, especially the Bontrager brackets (it even broke through a plastic flat washer I tried) and eventually one of the plastic ears break. If you are lucky only one ear breaks, because if two ears breaks there goes your pump too! I finally found "alloy" brackets and use them now on both my Powerflys along with a high volume small Bontrager pump. This pump is wider than a regular pump, so I had to bend the pump cradel side ears a little flatter to fit the pump. The cradel is lined with rubber so as not to scratch up the pump. In addittion to the velcro strap, I use one of those reusable zip ties for extra security when I have to remove the pump. These ties have a button release for reuse.

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 8.35.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 10.16.58 AM.png

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Few months ago did pretty much the same to attach a Lezyne pump holder to the water bottle on my Rail 5. Bolted through a hole drilled in the top of the water bottle holder and a zip tie through a hole drilled in the bottom.

20240102_165020.jpg 20240102_164946.jpg 20240102_164853.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Few months ago did pretty much the same to attach a Lezyne pump holder to the water bottle on my Rail 5. Bolted through a hole drilled in the top of the water bottle holder and a zip tie through a hole drilled in the bottom. View attachment 131703
1704215173455.jpeg
I carry the OneUp pump with tools and tire repair. It’s usually in my hip pac or strapped to my shoulder harness on my backpack. (I have two). Do you find that too much debris collects on the pump or is it inboard enough to avoid any spray from the front wheel?

Also, does the piggy back on the coil shock interfere with the water bottle? I’m thinking of getting the new rock shock vivid, with piggy back.

I have the medium 2020 Rail. Btw

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I carry the OneUp pump with tools and tire repair. It’s usually in my hip pac or strapped to my shoulder harness on my backpack. (I have two). Do you find that too much debris collects on the pump or is it inboard enough to avoid any spray from the front wheel?

Also, does the piggy back on the coil shock interfere with the water bottle? I’m thinking of getting the new rock shock vivid, with piggy back.

I have the medium 2020 Rail. Btw
I have 2022 Rail 5 Large.

Answers:

1. Have a RRP front fender which keeps most of the spray off the pump (and my legs of course), and the pump is very close to the water bottle holder so semi-inboard. Sort of.

2. The coil piggy back did interfere with the water bottle. So I drilled out new holes on the bottle holder which fit over the top of the down tube mounting points so that the bottle holder is now located as near as possible to the down tube and as near to the top as possible. A 600ml bottle just fits in OK and the shock piggy back just misses when compressed.

20240102_175227.jpg

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have 2022 Rail 5 Large.

Answers:

1. Have a RRP front fender which keeps most of the spray off the pump (and my legs of course), and the pump is very close to the water bottle holder so semi-inboard. Sort of.

2. The coil piggy back did interfere with the water bottle. So I drilled out new holes on the bottle holder which fit over the top of the down tube mounting points so that the bottle holder is now located as near as possible to the down tube and as near to the top as possible. A 600ml bottle just fits in OK and the shock piggy back just misses when compressed.

View attachment 131709
Ok, good to know. I may have tighter tolerances since I have a medium sized Rail. I still want to carry the water bottle on the down tube but the top is so close to the top-tube. image.jpg

image.jpg
Seems to be a bit more clearance with certain bottles. I’m gonna have to fiddle a bit more.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Ok, good to know. I may have tighter tolerances since I have a medium sized Rail. I still want to carry the water bottle on the down tube but the top is so close to the top-tube. View attachment 131710

View attachment 131711
Seems to be a bit more clearance with certain bottles. I’m gonna have to fiddle a bit more.
You can certainly move the water bottle holder quite a lot higher which would give more clearance for a piggy back. Even if the piggy back when compressed shaves the bottom of the water bottle it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't immediately puncture. Bottles are disposable after all.

Hotrod

Nov 30, 2023
So Cal
Fortunately never experienced a plastic pump mount failure but good point Expidia on the threaded inserts not allowing much surface area. I added some plastic washers to level out the insert. Also suggest using blue Loctite and not tightening the bolts beyond snug. The Oneup pump is very tight in the holder so need to be careful pulling it out to not to put upward torque on the nylon bracket.

20240102_123034.jpg 20240102_123928.jpg 20240102_124258.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles