Advice/Comments/Opinions buying Levo SL or FF

Beaker

Jul 5, 2020
Scotland
First post newbie here.

I'm sold on the whole ebike thing, hired a hardtail emtb at glentress before the virus hit the world. Absolutely loved every minute of it..!!

I think i've watched every video on every emtb available and narrowed down to two (popular) options, levo FF or SL.
I'm 44 this year and not very fit, i'm not fat and am smallish height (5 foot 6 inches). I used to ride a lot but in recent years i'm down to riding trails maybe twice or three times a year. I think this is mainly due to the fitness of friends and feeling like i'm holding them back, i do want to get a bit fitter but having an ebike will allow me to keep up and i'll want to get out there more, which in turn will increase my fitness. I'm not interested in aiming for super fitness, just healthy levels of fitness.

I usually keep one bike to rule em all (currently an "on one" inbred) so I can see me using this bike for road rides, occasional commuting, downhill, single track etc etc so trying to decide whether to wait for the 2021 FF levo or go for an SL.

I'm not worried about the extra weight of the FF levo on downhill, i'm confident i'll be able to handle either option it's the uphill and long rides where my decision is, I love the sleek look of the SL but worry that it won't give me enough assistance on hills or long rides and i'll be wishing i'd gone for the FF model.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar dilemma? Maybe you switched from a FF to an SL or the other way round?

I'd love to try both bikes on a trail but realistically that doesn't look like it'll ever happen unfortunately.

TIA for any insights :)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
There's no reason you can't get a lot fitter on the full fat Levo, as for waiting for your mates on the climbs, just turn eco down to compensate so you can comfortably ride at the same pace.

I like the idea of the SL but you can't beat the full turbo (of any full power motor) experience in my opinion.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
There's no reason you can't get a lot fitter on the full fat Levo, as for waiting for your mates on the climbs, just turn eco down to compensate so you can comfortably ride at the same pace.

I like the idea of the SL but you can't beat the full turbo (of any full power motor) experience in my opinion.

Yup if yer gonna go E, you may as well go all the way....

And yes. You can get just as fit on FF, you’ll just go faster than on an SL while doing it haha.? And your upper body will be stronger for it. Heavy is good!!!?

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Thanks, do you ride an SL??
Yes mate I’ve had the SL since beginning of March. 1300 miles and loved every minute.
it’s easy to pick up to get over fences or Put onto boot rack. I had a FF Levo on demo for three days but thought it was a bloody tank.
Thought it was a waste carting all that battery and motor around for about that 1% I might use turbo.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
I have both. SL is most fun for me because of the additional fitness aspect and it’s nearly MTB light, FF is also fun because of it ability to go anywhere and to crush hills getting to DH runs. Bonus, I can ride the FF like the SL, but not the other way around.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I own a Kenevo and an SL. Like has been mention, if you ride with ebikes only I’d go the FF, if you ride with mtbers 100% go the SL. Option 3 Kenevo and SL.
The FF’s are Super fun if your smashing trails, big climbs, shuttles etc and trust me you still get a great workout on them.
The SL is just something else. It’s lightweight makes it a way more poppy, fun, easy to manoeuvre but with the added benefit of e assist, think pro XC legs. It feels a similar assist to the FF on trail mode but much slower.
Im running a 10 speed on it and have no problems climbing it and I have chicken legs.
The IP67 waterproof rating makes it standout from the rest and the fact I can fly with it is great.
Having said all that I love my Kenevo but I would be happy with either.
Choose the bike based on who you ride with and what type of riding you will do. Keep in mind ebikes open a whole lot more trails that you previously might not have ridden due to elevation etc.
Good luck with you decision

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I own a Kenevo and an SL. Like has been mention, if you ride with ebikes only I’d go the FF, if you ride with mtbers 100% go the SL. Option 3 Kenevo and SL.
The FF’s are Super fun if your smashing trails, big climbs, shuttles etc and trust me you still get a great workout on them.
The SL is just something else. It’s lightweight makes it a way more poppy, fun, easy to manoeuvre but with the added benefit of e assist, think pro XC legs. It feels a similar assist to the FF on trail mode but much slower.
Im running a 10 speed on it and have no problems climbing it and I have chicken legs.
The IP67 waterproof rating makes it standout from the rest and the fact I can fly with it is great.
Having said all that I love my Kenevo but I would be happy with either.
Choose the bike based on who you ride with and what type of riding you will do. Keep in mind ebikes open a whole lot more trails that you previously might not have ridden due to elevation etc.
Good luck with you decision

If yer riding with acoustic riders/groups then ride an acoustic bike with them. I ride alone 99.5% of the time so FF it is. I’ve ridden with a VERY good rider who was on an SL and I did a lot of waiting on anything where pedaling was involved, unless I purposely slowed way down. Fun but not fun haha.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
If yer riding with acoustic riders/groups then ride an acoustic bike with them. I ride alone 99.5% of the time so FF it is. I’ve ridden with a VERY good rider who was on an SL and I did a lot of waiting on anything where pedaling was involved, unless I purposely slowed way down. Fun but not fun haha.
I have a back injury so that’ll never happen again. I’ve also ridden with FF ebikes and not everyone rides flat out turbo all the time so it’s not that different. Also mtb’s bore me.

I still gotta try a Kenevo dammit!!!! Can’t lie I have Kenevo envy.?
Yes, yes you do. They are way too much fun!
My crew

9C314882-EC3F-4711-8CC5-7E5BD4C72950.jpeg

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Thanks, do you ride an SL??
I got the FF last month. I think if you want to get fit, both will work. I simply dial down the power, and only rarely go turbo. I am 65 and have used the HR Smart Control setting in the Mission Control app. I set it at 90, and to keep my HR between 85 and 100 for the entire ride. I stopped using now just manually set the power from off to turbo depending how I feel. The reason for using the Smart Control setting at first is to force me to exert myself in my ride to get my heart pumping. This is my perspective for getting and staying more fit. I got the FF because I like the extra kick. Riding the SL reminded me of how I rode when I was in my 30's. If that was enough, I would have bought the SL. I also liked the range of the FF with the 700 wh battery. I have NEVER used a full charge in a day, yet. My opinion now is that I really didn't need the 700wh battery, and the SL would likely have satisfied me from a range perspective. SO, depending on how much you ride, consider what batter do you really need. If you are going to do more technical riding, the SL would be best for reasons mentioned before. It is lighter and more nimble. You may not be riding more technical trails now, but you might want to soon, especially considering how much confidence you will gain from riding an eMTB. You really can't go wrong with either bike. Seriously, you will be happy with which ever you buy. Just buy it and start smiling.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I have a back injury so that’ll never happen again. I’ve also ridden with FF ebikes and not everyone rides flat out turbo all the time so it’s not that different. Also mtb’s bore me.

Yes, yes you do. They are way too much fun!
My crew

View attachment 35556

Yeah mtb’s are boring I agree. I only have a mtb in case my ebike is out of commission. Will prolly buy another ebike tho.

Beaker

Jul 5, 2020
Scotland
Thanks all the input and opinions, appreciated.

I think I’m going to try and find somewhere to demo both bikes. I don’t like the idea of splashing 5k on something I’ve never ridden.

it’s a balancing act I guess, having ridden a FF hard tail for a day I absolutely loved it. I did two more laps of trails that I’d normally have done and couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I feel like if the SL gave me enough boost, the extra weight saving would be awesome, I live in a top floor flat 3 flights of stairs up and need to carry my bike.

just FYI, none of my mates ride ebikes, I’m the first going down this route.

Out of interest, what age are ya’ll and did that influence your FF v SL choice?

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
I’m 58. Fit and healthy but was coming home from rides (usually 30 milers) absolutely knackered. I didn’t have the time or inclination to ride the hours and hours my riding buddies put in (most 10years plus younger) each week so I was always near my limit the whole ride. The SL has really brought the love of riding back. I can climb steep technical stuff I’d would have struggled with When I was much younger and still not be near my limit. As others have posted either way your gona love an e bike. Definitely take a few demo rides. I think the SL will surprise you. There’s also the reliability side of things to consider. The SL motor looks to be holding up much better than the FF but don’t know what the 2021 has to offer over the old un

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I'm in a similar position. I have a Trek Powerfly 4 but I'm beginning to feel that I need a little more suspension travel and would definitely like more powerful brakes i.e. 4 piston rather than 2. I can't make my mind up but it's probably between an SL, a Levo or a Kenevo. I'm 72 and mostly ride the trails at FOD. I'm not sure if the SL would give me the assistance I would like. As things get back to normal I'm hoping I get a chance to try them. I'm not convinced that being able to lift the bike over stiles and fences is a real benefit. Surely it would be wrong (illegal) to ride a trail like that? It's a footpath not a bridleway so I would be avoiding those in the first place. The benefit for me would be the ease of lifting it into the car. There are some brands, Orbea for example, which offer higher spec components for the same money which may be worth a look.

Al

Beaker

Jul 5, 2020
Scotland
Something else just occurred to me, when i had the hardtail hire emtb for a day i didn't need to take it out of eco.

Is the SL turbo or trail mode comparable to the levo eco?

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Something else just occurred to me, when i had the hardtail hire emtb for a day i didn't need to take it out of eco.

Is the SL turbo or trail mode comparable to the levo eco?
Look for YouTube comparison of the FF and SL Range. As I recall, SL Turbo is closer to FF Trail. At the end of the day, Rob rode the SL all day and his camera man rode tue FF with all his camera gear.

I may be remembering details from the combination of several videos but her is one that may help you decide.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I would say turbo on the SL is a little less than trail on a FF.
Motor off though, No comparison, the SL rides like a mtb.
Keep in mind though an SL rides very very different to a FF. Heaps more playful/manoeuvrable.
The FF is still an uphill plow machine though so it all comes down to what type of riding experience you want.
They’re both extremely fun for their own reasons. You can’t go wrong with either.
Try get a test ride if you can, but if you loved the hardtail on Eco then even SL on trail will be enough.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles