Buying advice < 3000 €

RMoss

Nov 7, 2020
Finland
Been hunting for my first EMTB for a few months now and still without one. Why I want an ebike, is to ease up on my arthritic knee, keeping more juice in my legs when hitting the gym (weightlifting) and also to a point "replace" the car that I got rid of back in spring already. I'm mostly looking for a commuter with curiosity to have some fun with the bike out on the trails. It needs to handle snow and winter too which is why I initially put my eyes on an MTB.

Child seat attachment has also been one criteria as the bike would be used to take my kid to daycare. This already takes out pretty much all Haibike's for example in this price range due to its frame. Possibly getting a trailer but that would be later. The internet has convinced me to stay clear from cheap Suntour forks, but lately I've been wondering if they really are that much different from RS. In this price range I've understood that I'm getting an entry level fork anyway. Hoping for more input on that here.

Here's what I've shortlisted so far:

Commencal Max Max Power
Almost bought this already, but went out of stock just as I was ready to order. Pre-orders expected to deliver in May which is unfortunately too late. Love the fork travel, sounds like could be a lot of fun. Have asked a dealer in UK if they could ship this in Finland (usually don't) as it would be my only option for this bike atm.​
Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 625
Hands down the most eye pleasing of the bunch. Is a bit over the budget but if it's worth it I could consider it. Is heavier than the Commencal and also not sure if the components warrant the higher price (I really don't know much about the component hierarchies tbh).​
Grand Canyon:ON AL 8.0
Sold out and new model should be coming in January. I guess I could wait until then. I would expect it to stay in the price range. There's also a possibility to getting my hands on this bike used.​
Orbea Keram Max
Looks nice and interesting but the down tube would not allow child seat attachment due to the square shape. Will also throw in Wild HT 30 here which is much over the budget. Thought I would still take a closer look at stores if previous year models were available anywhere for cheaper.​
Any thoughts, opinions, ideas would be much appreciated. I've been sitting on all choices (that come and go) and possibilities for too long already.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
I would demo one of these on the sort of trails you want to ride.

My dad has a cube reaction, and we would both say it works for riding along the side of the river when the path is fairly flat, but anything more is uncomfortable.

You might find that one bike does not do everything you want.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Good idea to go full suspension...

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
I would try to find a Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Race 500 from 2020.

No idea where you are but this shop has 18" and 20" in stock. I would phone and ask them for a discount as last years model. Should be able to get 10-15% off.

If your an XL...

Or size L with a bit of small bit of paint damage as per the photo.

Last edited:

RMoss

Nov 7, 2020
Finland
I would demo one of these on the sort of trails you want to ride.

My dad has a cube reaction, and we would both say it works for riding along the side of the river when the path is fairly flat, but anything more is uncomfortable.

You might find that one bike does not do everything you want.

That would be nice but for those options it seems to be hard to find any local dealer with these in stock, or pretty much anything in stock at the moment. Will try to look a bit harder though because it would be great to get to test any of these.

Surely the answer is Decathlon Stylus?
Good idea to go full suspension...

[/URL][/URL]

Never heard of Decathlon. Quickly couldn't find anything available either. Would full suspension (I think that's what this is) be less convenient for a commute though?

I would try to find a Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Race 500 from 2020.

No idea where you are but this shop has 18" and 20" in stock. I would phone and ask them for a discount as last years model. Should be able to get 10-15% off.

[1]=f322ba00a09387c2b3c418bfab332dd4[/URL]

If your an XL...

Or size L with a bit of paint damage...

I'm based in Finland and I'm pretty sure I will need to mail order whatever I decide to get from another European store. There really doesn't seem to be much available in local stores at the moment. I would probably be a size M for any option out there.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Would full suspension (I think that's what this is) be less convenient for a commute though?

Examples of full suspension commuter bikes...

RMoss

Nov 7, 2020
Finland
Would full suspension (I think that's what this is) be less convenient for a commute though?

Thanks for the link! However it would probably be tough to include any FS bike under my budget? Except for the Decathlon Stilus that was mentioned earlier which seems like a hard to find bike.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Thanks for the link! However it would probably be tough to include any FS bike under my budget? Except for the Decathlon Stilus that was mentioned earlier which seems like a hard to find bike.

I would phone the shops where the price is a little over and see if they will do a deal. Bike prices are often asking prices, a bit like cars.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles