Aberdeenshire - what’s open?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
After storm Arwin, it would seem every forest / trail locally is closed due to fallen trees.
I check the forestry commission websites each week, and they’re still saying closed.

I live in the centre of Aberdeen and can be in Hazelehead in about 5 mins - and can get to Counteswells, Tyrebagger, Kirkhill etc fairly easily. I often stick the bike on the back of the car and go further afield like Pitfichie, Drumtochty, Durris etc…

I went round Hazelhead this morning, and they seem to have cleared hundreds of trees off the path, golf course etc… but it’s not particularly exciting (although better than being on the road).

Can anyone in the Aberdeen / Aberdeenshire area advise of some MTB trails that are open and I can get round at the moment?

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi I also live in Aberdeen , in the last week I've been to Kirkhill , you can't get into the carpark so I parked in the entrance, loads of trails open , very wet at the moment ,

I've also been to Durris , mostly all open apart from Durris 1&2 , as per usual it's very boggie but good once you get through using the less wet access path to the start of pacman , edge of chaos etc ,

Drumtochty is mostly open as well I tend to stay to the Laurencekirk side of the hill , lots of wood trucks so care to be taken, when I was up there was quite a bit of snow but looking like it's mostly gone now ,

Craiglug is always a good one to have a good blast on too ,

That's all the ones I've been to recently so not sure about Pitfichie , Correnie etc

Regards Stuart

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I used to ride Scolty Hill to the south of Banchory when I lived there but don't know if it is still called that now. No one seems to mention it in that area for some reason.

That seemed quite open even though forested on the lower slopes.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I used to ride Scolty Hill to the south of Banchory when I lived there but don't know if it is still called that now. No one seems to mention it in that area for some reason.

That seemed quite open even though forested on the lower slopes.
A lot of forestry work going on at Scolty at the moment, hopefully they haven't destroyed too many of the trails 👍

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
After storm Arwin, it would seem every forest / trail locally is closed due to fallen trees.
I check the forestry commission websites each week, and they’re still saying closed.

I live in the centre of Aberdeen and can be in Hazelehead in about 5 mins - and can get to Counteswells, Tyrebagger, Kirkhill etc fairly easily. I often stick the bike on the back of the car and go further afield like Pitfichie, Drumtochty, Durris etc…

I went round Hazelhead this morning, and they seem to have cleared hundreds of trees off the path, golf course etc… but it’s not particularly exciting (although better than being on the road).

Can anyone in the Aberdeen / Aberdeenshire area advise of some MTB trails that are open and I can get round at the moment?
Fochabers monster trails open bit far for you though. Corriehabbie hill near Dufftown a good run very open though.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
thanks all…

I’ll maybe cycle over to Kirkhill and have a look. I don’t fancy leaving my car outside the carpark, as it’ll probably end up on Fubar News!

Have cycled at Scolty a few times, but it’s always quite busy with walkers /dogs… plus the road to the carpark was appalling. I hear it’s been repaired now though.

Fochabers is probably similar distance to Dufftown. I went to Glenlivet a few times last year - but I’d rather save the longer journeys for warmer weather where the day is more enjoyable! Another regular ride for me is Glentannar, and I need to try Ballater when the weather is a bit warmer too.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
This might be of some help. Doesn't sound too great TBH.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Yeah I know , they were just getting cleared up after the first storm ,

I've just done 18 miles around Durris , most trails open , trails are running really good just now tbh 🤟

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Doing a grand job at my local rides at clearing up . Fochabers and Bin of Cullen tree free now. Had a good one today 26 miles wont have to clean the bike for once it was so dry .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
This might be of some help. Doesn't sound too great TBH.

Great link that cheers

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Pitfichie has about 50% trails open, the orange and black DH on Pitfichie hill all flattened under hundreds trees. Same with badgers box and squirrel,
but white lady, macchiato, green hill, cairnwilliam red, and slippy Willy open

corrennie about 90% trails open. guy Martin, drop n’slide obliterated

bennachie - closed and vehicles working at moment to clear carpark af bennachie centre and forest tracks, rowantree trails not good.
some like waymurr ridge, marchburn, Dalu lama, dead presidents rideable apparently,

some trails in Aboyne open, like chuntney. But quite a few trashed see Trailforks reports

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I pay for a Trailforks subscription, and never even thought about looking there to see what’s open!!
Pitfichie has a few, and I’m quite happy to get some miles on the fire road too.
Is the main car park open?

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
I pay for a Trailforks subscription, and never even thought about looking there to see what’s open!!
Pitfichie has a few, and I’m quite happy to get some miles on the fire road too.
Is the main car park open?
Yes whitehills carpark open at Alford end of the forest. pretty sure the Downhill trail parking area is still closed, lots of trees down there.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yes whitehills carpark open at Alford end of the forest. pretty sure the Downhill trail parking area is still closed, lots of trees down there.

I normally park in the one next to Tillyfourie - is that the Whitehills one?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Heading to Aboyne area Thursday. Any suggestions reds preferably. Looking for a 30mile day . Advice appreciated.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Master blaster is great and obviously Heartbreak Ridge. If the weather is good it's magnificent.
Is it easy enough route finding. Only done Fungle and firmouth long time ago. Mount Keen on ebike last year. I was going to tarfside walking the morning and try Birse forest area Thursday. We'll that's the plan.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles