Other 60 Year old plus thread

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
I figure would be a nice place to share what we have done to our bikes as older men and woman to make them a little more comfortable. I talked to other older bikers and like me around age 60 things changed in my body and had to adjust my bike accordingly. We do not recover as quick and each year is like starting over. I am 63 now and the biggest changes I have made that make a difference is revgrips and just added 80mm riser bars. I now call it my lazy levo.
983FE208-ECA4-488F-8C24-CB376A9E788C_1_105_c.jpeg

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
My other bike got a 10 mm higher stem about every few years, I suspect the SL will get new bars in a year or two. I got a new saddle the first week, the original was way too hard. The shock and fork are set to "plush".
There's no starting over here, it's riding weather all year round. :)

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
My other bike got a 10 mm higher stem about every few years, I suspect the SL will get new bars in a year or two. I got a new saddle the first week, the original was way too hard. The shock and fork are set to "plush".
There's no starting over here, it's riding weather all year round. :)
we are moving to Florida this summer to have all year riding. I have had enough of snow and long winters

GaryT

May 11, 2020
South Lakes
I’m 64 and just got M Levo Comp. Changed to Ergon GA3 grips and put my existing well worn in Brooks saddle on plus HT flat pedals.
Definitely front end feels low with the standard 27mm riser and was thinking to go to 40mm.
Having seen the 80mm ones above now wondering which way to go.
Does anyone run 40mm and how much difference do they make?
Also how about shorter or higher stem?
Cheers
Gary

Reactions: jxj

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Wow! never mind the bars, look at the angle of that seat. Down with the kids there but I'd be a bit more concerned about pain from my ageing plums. :p
It's a "Specialized command post WU" . There's a second shaft which operates inside the primary shaft, so as the seat drops it also leans backwards. As it comes up, it returns to level.

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
I have people ask if these hurt the performance of the bike, here is my last couple rides. Strava. These are places I ride all the time
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 7.51.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 7.56.42 AM.png

martinf

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton
I’m 67 and have been riding Levo’s for a few years; I started with the hardtail, then a 2018 Carbon FSR I got on here, and in February I got a new 2019 Carbon FSR. I dropped the stem by removing spacers, and changed the bars to my own Bontrager Carbon. I also got some (cheap) 27.5 wheels with Maxxis DHF, and DHR tyres as it was so muddy/windy back then and I felt a bit unstable on it (possibly coming from the ‘18 with 27.5 wheels) and it felt much better. When it dried out I went back to the stock 29’s, but with Maxxis Rekons on, and am very happy with it; I regularly do 20-25 miles 2 or 3 times a week on the South Downs, and usually have 40-50% left (500w battery), so the bike could do more, not sure about my body though! Coming from regular mtbs, emtbs are a godsend for us oldies.

Dfriz

Mar 16, 2018
USA
I’m 64 and just got M Levo Comp. Changed to Ergon GA3 grips and put my existing well worn in Brooks saddle on plus HT flat pedals.
Definitely front end feels low with the standard 27mm riser and was thinking to go to 40mm.
Having seen the 80mm ones above now wondering which way to go.
Does anyone run 40mm and how much difference do they make?
Also how about shorter or higher stem?
Cheers
Gary
I say leave the stem alone raise the Bars a lot more comfortable Ride

Bacalao

Oct 24, 2019
SoCal
@atcspaul @Timbo
I just checked out Revgrips based on your comments. They look very promising. I assume by you mentioning them that you are happy with their performance.

I had already been thinking about upgrading my Comp with carbon bars. I'm thinking of starting with the Revgrips on the standard alloy handlebars and seeing if that is good enough. @Timbo it appears that is what you have done. Has that been good enough or are you thinking about adding carbon bars in the future? @atcspaul what was your progression? Carbon or Revgrips first, or both at the same time?

Thanks in advance for your responses. Stay safe. Us old guys don't heal as fast.

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
The revgrips are nice. best way to describe is you go over a rough section and instead of constant banging on your hands it is more like a muffled thud. Took me a year to decide to try them and happy I did

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
Very happy with my Revgrips, I don't notice them now, just less tiring for your hands.
Maybe I'll change to carbon bars one day, but no real need.

stoplight

Dec 5, 2019
California
I went back and forth between the 50mm and 80mm rise. Looking at atcspaul's set up I thought whewie, those grips are way up there. So I settled in on the 50mm rise. But just before buying that little voice triggered and I got the 80mm rise bars. Today was the first time out on the Levo and wowie what a positive difference. I got crap knees so being up a bit higher made it much easier to shift my weight back without that ever familiar crunching sound. Good Stuff!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles