4.8.0 update

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Updated today, after I finished my ride. Did not notice any difference pedaling around the back yard a few times.

Jul 13, 2020DU-E80004.8.0・Adapted for SC-E5000.
・Adapted for BT-E8035L/BT-E8036/BT-E8016.
・Bug fixes the start mode that does not work when the power is turned on.

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
What does this mean? Anybody know?

Bug fixes the start mode that does not work when the power is turned on

caspian40

Jun 30, 2020
IP12
What does this mean? Anybody know?

Bug fixes the start mode that does not work when the power is turned on
Is it when you power up the battery and the screen doesn't fire up I have to turn off and back on again is that the clutch fix. I was hoping it was a torque increas like the Bosch motor got lol, no such luck

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Updated today, after I finished my ride. Did not notice any difference pedaling around the back yard a few times.

Jul 13, 2020DU-E80004.8.0・Adapted for SC-E5000.
・Adapted for BT-E8035L/BT-E8036/BT-E8016.
・Bug fixes the start mode that does not work when the power is turned on.
I wonder if that bug fix for the start mode is to do with the pedals? You know the error you get if the pedals are touched while the system is booting up? Pity they didn't make the walk mode useful.

v0rt3x

Mar 27, 2020
Slovenia
You know the error you get if the pedals are touched while the system is booting up?

That's not a bug, it's by design. There has to be 0 load on the torque sensor as it initializes so it knows it's starting value. If not, the power delivery would not be accurate when you would load the pedals.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I thought the primary reason for this update is to allow compatibility with the new batteries that her been released

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
That's not a bug, it's by design. There has to be 0 load on the torque sensor as it initializes so it knows it's starting value. If not, the power delivery would not be accurate when you would load the pedals.
Sounds like a classic how to turn a problem into logic by shimano. Politicians do the same. Do any other manufacturers have this "design"? :ROFLMAO: I'm sure they'd have a similar "by design" explanation for their walk mode.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Sounds like a classic how to turn a problem into logic by shimano. Politicians do the same. Do any other manufacturers have this "design"? :ROFLMAO: I'm sure they'd have a similar "by design" explanation for their walk mode.

Actually, it makes complete sense. It's like zeroing a weigh scale. The bike needs a zero reference point for torque. This way you don't need to worry about absolute calibration, just relative calibration.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
The real question about this update is why it lagged the comparable update for the other drive systems (5000, 6000, 7000) by about 8 weeks? Is it just incompetence, or is there something unique about the DU 8000 that required extra time? I'm going with the former.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am guessing its because we are going to be seeing bikes with the new batteries pretty soon, and those are currently being built ready to be shipped, and need the update.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
I am guessing its because we are going to be seeing bikes with the new batteries pretty soon, and those are currently being built ready to be shipped, and need the update.
you may be right. but whats the reason for that? there where no updates when other brands brought out new batteries for the e8000, like the YT Decoy or others (540wh, etc)

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
Actually, it makes complete sense. It's like zeroing a weigh scale. The bike needs a zero reference point for torque. This way you don't need to worry about absolute calibration, just relative calibration.
yes but not every time you ride, only when temperature changes significantly.
maybe all other brands have a design failure, not! to calibrate their power sensors and instead work with an average value.
we dont know it because on shimano systems you cant see the power values, on others you can, but may they are wrong.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA

Yup - of course. But that still doesn't explain the two month time lag for the 8000 series firmware.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
you may be right. but whats the reason for that? there where no updates when other brands brought out new batteries for the e8000, like the YT Decoy or others (540wh, etc)
Yes, but those aren't Shimano components that you or I can go an buy, for example when I first got an e7000 switch it didnt fully work with the e8000 unit until they bought out a software update. TBH I am not sure what level of integration between the companies that use third party batteries and Shimano there is, i.e has the software been tweaked in any way? If so I think its in the BMS rather than the motor.

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
yes but not every time you ride, only when temperature changes significantly.
maybe all other brands have a design failure, not! to calibrate their power sensors and instead work with an average value.
we dont know it because on shimano systems you cant see the power values, on others you can, but may they are wrong.

It's different ways to solve the problem, neither needs to be a design failure.

One way is as per shimano - try to get a known-state (no pressure on pedals, everything is still) take a baseline for that session and off you go. It's a tried-and-tested approach used by a lot of power meters. If you're going this route you might as well do it fresh each time in case the pedals / cranks / something else is changed between rides.

You could try to take a baseline at some later point during the ride, but that sounds like it would take more logic and be more prone to noise in the reading than just pausing for a second or two when turning on.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
You could try to take a baseline at some later point during the ride, but that sounds like it would take more logic and be more prone to noise in the reading than just pausing for a second or two when turning on.
i dont think they go this way. power metering on an eBike is way more budget. i think it‘s less precise than a SRM or a Favero etc. A friend was riding a Levo MY2018 this weekend with 259 Watt Average for 3 hours. Comparing this with his analogue values (and heartrate) it should be between 220 and 240 Watt, 10% less. This is exactly what i measured on my Levo (with power pedels)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I haven't applied this update yet - I've had no need to use the shimano app for ages, still don't. Has anyone had any issues with it, or discovered any worthwhile changes other than newer battery compatibility? I assume walk mode is the same and everything else is still the same?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
There is already a newer version with new UI. Also there was an update for the E7000 display. Works fine for me.
Are you talking about the app? I've just seen that - it looks pretty bad according to reviews on g00g1e play. Looks as though it has bricked a few bikes and quite a few warnings not to use it. Reviews are generally bad :( I see a firmware update that you also mention from 31/8 for the display - I think I have the same display.

Last edited:

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Are you talking about the app? I've just seen that - it looks pretty bad according to reviews on g00g1e play. Looks as though it has brick a few bikes and quite a few warnings not to use it. Reviews since 1st sept are generally bad :(

Yes, I actually phrased my earlier post very badly. Anyway, display update does not seem to do anything different with my E8000 motor and 8010 battery. Only seems to make the system (esp. display) work with EP8 motor and new batteries.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yes, I actually phrased my earlier post very badly. Anyway, display update does not seem to do anything different with my E8000 motor and 8010 battery. Only seems to make the system (esp. display) work with EP8 motor and new batteries.
Thanks for the feedback. No need for me to update then :)

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA

AFAIK it was an updated to the bluetooth stack on the E7000 (there were security vulnerabilities in BLE that were perhaps addressed in this updated).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles