Updates and fine tuning

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Anyone used the app to update or fine tune the modes yet?

How did it Go?

Anyone connected to a PC ?

Last edited:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Yup, updated with the app a couple of times and fiddled with the power levels.
I have adjusted the trail setting a couple of times to suit some specific rides (increase economy, rock climbing, etc). I need to do some experimenting with adjusting the boost setting. I hardly ever use it as it is so brutal. If it can be set up as a Trail+ it would be great.
There are only basic sliders to adjust trail & boost in the custom setting, nowhere near as advanced as the Specialized app where you can tune how the motor comes in and tails off. (Not necessary for trail mode but would be useful for boost)
I downloaded the PC software and had a look to see if you could change wheel size, gear ratios, battery charge cycles etc but without hooking up to a bike you cannot look at any pages. I tried to connect via Bluetooth without success and didn't want to drop the cash on the (costly) hookup lead for no reason.

The etube app so far is really aimed at Di2 and updating various components in the STEPS system, it is not a polished 'front end' for ebike users.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I think the app lets you do trail side adjustments and the basic firmware stuff as you say, but you need the PC ei to connect to a PC to get into things a bit deeper.

I can only imagine that all of this will improve as time goes by, but even a basic app, that gives you personal control, will be an improvement compared to my Bosch, as you have to take it to a dealer for everything! update or diagnostic, an expensive pain in the arse................they are never able to do anything straight away.... leave it with us for a couple of day's and we will see what we can do..:(

They did a big firmware update in August 17 by all accounts........... but I can't find much about it?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Bosch or Shimano?
Shimano had one about that time which introduced mode adjustability and more consistent decoupling of the motor when turned off without having to stop pedalling.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Bosch or Shimano?
Shimano had one about that time which introduced mode adjustability and more consistent decoupling of the motor when turned off without having to stop pedalling.
Yes sorry, Shimano..... Ahh so that was what it did :)

Are they there yet with the software or still room for improvement, do you think?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
It is a basic tool. It allows you to pick from two preset profiles and has another 'custom' profile where you can adjust the Trail & Boost assist levels. It also lets you set which levers do what, if you have Di2 you can do some funky gearshift profiles.
If that is what you are looking for it fits the bill fine.
If however you are after the bells & whistles of the Specialized App where you can tune how the motor behaves, link directly to Strava, have the bike auto adjust assist levels around a route based on inclines & distance to maximise battery usage leaving a bit of backup capacity just in case, you will be disappointed......

It might be worth posting on one of the Specialized threads to see how much folk use the features of the app after the initial honeymoon period has worn off. The auto assist level sounds appealing but I think it only works on routes you have done before or ones downloaded from Strava which limits it a bit unless it works for tracks you might create on the desktop version of Strava.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
It is a basic tool. It allows you to pick from two preset profiles and has another 'custom' profile where you can adjust the Trail & Boost assist levels. It also lets you set which levers do what, if you have Di2 you can do some funky gearshift profiles.
If that is what you are looking for it fits the bill fine.
If however you are after the bells & whistles of the Specialized App where you can tune how the motor behaves, link directly to Strava, have the bike auto adjust assist levels around a route based on inclines & distance to maximise battery usage leaving a bit of backup capacity just in case, you will be disappointed......

It might be worth posting on one of the Specialized threads to see how much folk use the features of the app after the initial honeymoon period has worn off. The auto assist level sounds appealing but I think it only works on routes you have done before or ones downloaded from Strava which limits it a bit unless it works for tracks you might create on the desktop version of Strava.

From what you say, I think the basic's on the App are fine for tuning out on the trail, I guess once you get it, how you want it, then you won't need to use it much after. Connect to PC for everything else :D sounds simple, just how I like it:LOL:

I know some will and I'm sure its great and Shimano no doubt will end offering something like it, but I really don't think I could be arsed faffing around with route based auto adjust a majig..............after all I'm only mountain biking not racing Moto GP :eek:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The STEPs display has a basic assist graph displayed all the time. It doesn't take long to get the hang of pacing you rides to fit you battery life the way the Shimano motor assists.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
From what you say, I think the basic's on the App are fine for tuning out on the trail, I guess once you get it, how you want it, then you won't need to use it much after. Connect to PC for everything else :D sounds simple, just how I like it:LOL:

I know some will and I'm sure its great and Shimano no doubt will end offering something like it, but I really don't think I could be arsed faffing around with route based auto adjust a majig..............after all I'm only mountain biking not racing Moto GP :eek:

I don't think connecting to PC will let you do anything else than through the app.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I don't think connecting to PC will let you do anything else than through the app.
Hey Tamas

Yes as far I can see you are quite correct in that, everything that can be adjusted, can be done via the App, but the PC connection gives you access to fault finding and hardware diagnostics's that the App can't. I just love to tinker :LOL:

How is your Meta power behaving, had a chance to get out on it anymore yet :D

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hey Tamas

Yes as far I can see you are quite correct in that, everything that can be adjusted, can be done via the App, but the PC connection gives you access to fault finding and hardware diagnostics's that the App can't. I just love to tinker :LOL:

How is your Meta power behaving, had a chance to get out on it anymore yet :D
I'm not trying to argue here but really no reason for PC connection with the E8000 as you can run the diagnostics, error check and firmware update too (and the Di2 PC interface costs ~180€) :)

The Meta is awesome I'm just waiting for the better weather to do some proper longer rides. :)

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
I think you can alter a few bits like the front ring size and basic wheel size etc that are not available on the app.
OK... I just didn't miss anything from the app. For me, the firmware update and diagnostics were the important stuff and secondly the adjustability of the Trail and Boost mode.
I wonder what changes with setting the chainring size as I just swapped the 34T to a 32T?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
OK... I just didn't miss anything from the app. For me, the firmware update and diagnostics were the important stuff and secondly the adjustability of the Trail and Boost mode.
I wonder what changes with setting the chainring size as I just swapped the 34T to a 32T?
I think it is to do with preventing ‘hacking’ they compare wheel and crank rotations along with wheel/tyre diameters.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Have you actually changed the front ring for a 32 or just changed the setting to 32 ? Are you finding the gearing too high ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I tried connecting my iPhone to the unit today, but it doesn't show up on my iPhone, iPad, or mac?

Went into settings > Bluetooth LE > Start

The unit doesn't show up on any of my devices and the set up times out? Anyone had this issue?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Don't worry treat me like an idiot with this one - went into the menus, on to the bluetooth le section, then start connection - presumably this turns bluetooth on? Or do you turn bluetooth on another way?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Found this which may be of interest, show what the assistance levels relate too on a 1-7 scale

Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 09.44.33.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Basically I kept trying to connect though the Bluetooth menu in the phones settings menu, when you actually need to do the initial connection through the app

When you first fire up the app it gives you a demo of it, you need to read/skip though this, then it goes into the app proper and starts looking for the bike. At that point you can connect.

I have an iPhone though

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
hmm... Thanks.

it actually was connected. but the whole "change the passkey" part didn't want to allow it to advance.
I deleted the App cache to see if I could try again from the start now my phone won't recognise a bluetooth signal from the bike at all
:(
Had same problem go into your phones settings and tell it to forget or delete the shimano device then go and search for it again and enter the new passcode
Your phone is finding it but not recognising the passcode because you have changed it

Cinnamon

Mar 2, 2018
Somewhere
Freemax works also as range extender very well.
I decreased the support by about 25 percent for each mode (from lowest values, but increased max newton for Eco mode 30 >50 Nm ) and I can tell that it saves the battery considerably and still there is enough support everywhere. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I have the latest version (android) of the e-tube app but cannot individually change the mode settings with the sliders as per the video, still stuck with low/med/high.

I ave updated all the firmware etc., but no change, any ideas?

Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles