220 mm Rotor on the rear - Kenevo 2020 expert

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
Hi guys, I know I know ... you must brake with the front and use only the rear to move the bike around ... but anyhow , anyone knows if specialized permit to install a 220 rotor on the back of a Kenevo 2020 Expert ? The boxxer is certified for 220 rotor so I was thinking about to put a 220 on the rear as well . Thanks .

@Specialized Rider Care can you help ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As long as it fits, I can't imagine there being any "physical" issues which would cause any additional stresses which might cause a warranty issue .. (speaking from a completely unprofessional standpoint) ..

@Christian is always happy to try "crash test dummy" testing levo configurations ... :)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
As long as it fits, I can't imagine there being any "physical" issues which would cause any additional stresses which might cause a warranty issue .. (speaking from a completely unprofessional standpoint) ..

@Christian is always happy to try "crash test dummy" testing levo configurations ... :)
What about a larger rotor having a greater harmonic properties and thus allowing it to sing louder and at a higher pitch ?
Do you think this may present a problem, and would it attract dogs from all over the neighbourhood ?

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I fitted a 180mm rotor to the rear on mine. 180mm appears to be the minimum.

It doesn't matter what size rotor you fit. The maximum braking force you can achieve in real world usage is the same; and therefore the torque transferred to frame or fork is the same.

Haedesz

Sep 20, 2019
Belgium
I wanted to try this on a 2020 Levo.

When I was measuring I came to the conclusion that the rear (aluminium) triangle will rub or MAYBE have 1-2mm clearance with another 10mm of rotor. Which was too close to comfort for me. I will actually try it when my front 220mm rotor arrives, just to make sure.

Can you check the utmost front of the disc? my frame triangle moves inboard from the point the disc ends. The angle is too close to accomodate 220mm on a Levo (IMO).

I would expect the kenevo to have similar problems (to keep a shorter chainstay) or maybe they fixed this.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
I was running 220 front and rear already on my devinci , regardless of the power I like this solution as heat management is fairly better and modulability increase a well , most of the time is overkill , but in some situations better modulability is awesome ( like with wet rocks ) , and heat management, like on long descent on summer, as well

@Christian if you can try it out , I will really appreciate it :)

Actually it will be nice to have an official answer from speci itself @Specialized Rider Care @SPECIALIZED give us some light :)

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
I wanted to try this on a 2020 Levo.

When I was measuring I came to the conclusion that the rear (aluminium) triangle will rub or MAYBE have 1-2mm clearance with another 20mm of rotor. Which was too close to comfort for me. I will actually try it when my front 220mm rotor arrives, just to make sure.

Can you check the utmost front of the disc? my frame triangle moves inboard from the point the disc ends. The angle is too close to accomodate 220mm on a Levo (IMO).

I would expect the kenevo to have similar problems (to keep a shorter chainstay) or maybe they fixed this.

Good luck.

I see the same on the 2020 kenevo , the angle is pretty close , I will probably order a 220 for the front and mount it on the back at home to see the clearance

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
@Christian if you can try it out , I will really appreciate it :)

225mm fits on the rear no problem. Will need around a 15mm spacer or I’d custom make a nice strong bracket

E8BDE0EF-0D3D-42A9-B869-B72A8ECE6058.jpeg

12F684FA-A829-4FE1-8A76-6686A7C3EC56.jpeg

334F61EB-C086-49B6-9BDE-74DF703563E7.jpeg

Harmialized

Oct 15, 2018
Netherlands
it is not only about the space you need for the bigger disc, it is also the leverage and increased force you apply on the tubes. This may result in defects on the longer term

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I'm in doubt between them and the galfers :)
My mate and I use the Galfers. They have too many holes, and the sawtooth shape on the top of the disc means there is not much pad to metal contact. This causes fast pad wear and a slight vibration through the lever. I think hope do some big rotors, which is what I'd get next time. Don't get me wrong, the Galfers are epic, but if the disc shape was more like a stock SRAM disc, rather than looking cool, they would be better still.

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
My mate and I use the Galfers. They have too many holes, and the sawtooth shape on the top of the disc means there is not much pad to metal contact. This causes fast pad wear and a slight vibration through the lever. I think hope do some big rotors, which is what I'd get next time. Don't get me wrong, the Galfers are epic, but if the disc shape was more like a stock SRAM disc, rather than looking cool, they would be better still.

I had 223 galfer on the devinci , and in fact I had some problems with vibration in the front , but it didn't happen on the rear ( I was pretty sure was due to some flex on the Fox 36 under braking )

There is an Sram 220 mm Rotor ( 2 mm thick , no rounded ) if you like them, and the cost is ridiculous low :)

The only problem about hopes disk is that you have a good change that if will rub your brake caliper , I know it happens on the 203 , probably will not happen on the 225 .

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I had 223 galfer on the devinci , and in fact I had some problems with vibration in the front , but it didn't happen on the rear ( I was pretty sure was due to some flex on the Fox 36 under braking )

There is an Sram 220 mm Rotor ( 2 mm thick , no rounded ) if you like them, and the cost is ridiculous low :)

The only problem about hopes disk is that you have a good change that if will rub your brake caliper , I know it happens on the 203 , probably will not happen on the 225 .
Thanks for the info. I'll give these a try on my DH bike next year

Billywhizz

Jun 24, 2019
TS147LN
Hi guys, I know I know ... you must brake with the front and use only the rear to move the bike around ... but anyhow , anyone knows if specialized permit to install a 220 rotor on the back of a Kenevo 2020 Expert ? The boxxer is certified for 220 rotor so I was thinking about to put a 220 on the rear as well . Thanks .

Nothing wrong with a 220 on the back, like many things bike wise we all prefer different preferences, regarding breaking is no different, if your a full instant power on off braker they be superb. Even those that prefer modulation breaking I think they would have benefits. Over heating should also be rapidly improved, yet another step forward imo.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland

There is no way you should need that size of rotor on the rear it'd just be way overkill unless you like a skidfest. I run a Galfer 220 on front and Ice Tech 203 on rear....loads of stopping. You are right as all the controlled stopping comes from the front. Might be hard to find caliper adaptors but you could put 180mm adaptor on top of 203mm which would space it out to 223mm, Galfer might have one. Don't see any problem trying it out as the bikes rear triangle is well capable of taking the strain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles