2024 Strive:ON

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Decided on Sunday night (10pm) to order a Strive On CFR. On Wednesday morning the DHL truck pulled up and delivered. Wow. Impressive logistics.
Completed the build and switched to tubeless and went off for a quick 15 minutes setup ride today. Well, 1200 vertical meters later (yes, that escalated quickly...) on our local flowtrails I am absolutely stoked. Up or down, that thing is a banger (yes Rob, you're right). So easy to ride, so nimble considering weight and travel. Wow.
Having bought a couple of Canyons over the years (Gravel, Race Bikes) it is amazing how professional and well thought through their business model is nowadays. If you're a bit of a mechanic yourself Canyon supplies so much more information and support than most traditional bike manufacturers. This is the future of bike business, no doubt.
Where are you based? I had a totally different experience. Completed my purchase on Thurs 01st and UPS didn't seem to get it until Monday and it was immediately marked as delayed and has sat in Frankfurt ever since.

Not sure why some are sent with DHL and others UPS, bur UPS have been rubbish so far.

Currently says delivery Monday, but 11 days transit from Germany is atrocious. I can only assume they're sending it via snail.

Don Hanzo

Jun 8, 2023
Germany
Where are you based? I had a totally different experience. Completed my purchase on Thurs 01st and UPS didn't seem to get it until Monday and it was immediately marked as delayed and has sat in Frankfurt ever since.

Not sure why some are sent with DHL and others UPS, bur UPS have been rubbish so far.

Currently says delivery Monday, but 11 days transit from Germany is atrocious. I can only assume they're sending it via snail.
Yeah, I am based in Germany so that's a home game for Canyon. Still, logistics have improved massively over my first experience with them (1o years ago).

hansfrans

Jun 28, 2020
Earth
Yea I’ll prob do the shifter also. Is the standard dropper any good? I have read some good things about the Sram brakes so will give them a chance. Ref the speed I think it will be a blessing not having a screen with the speed on so that may help
I like the dropper, no problems so far. I often read bad things about sram brakes but personally I can live with almost any of the strong brakes of either manufacturer although usually I like Magura most. But I will stick to the db8 since I also like their kind of “raw” look.
In general I am always trying not to overthink things and just ride, shift and brake the bikes :)

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
But the spectral chain rubbing on the chain stay in some gears would annoy the hell out of me as would pedal strikes which people complain about.
I was aware of this when buying spectral but it is unnoticeable, don't hear it at all. I also do not notice more pedal strikes according to my previous analog bike. But in near future I may consider to swap crank arms for 160mm.

for me the biggest flaw is headset cable routing and block lock which makes simple bearing service much much harder..

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
I was aware of this when buying spectral but it is unnoticeable, don't hear it at all. I also do not notice more pedal strikes according to my previous analog bike. But in near future I may consider to swap crank arms for 160mm.
Don't say that, my Strive is in picking now 😬 I'll just keep repeating to myself, Spectral-Bad, Strive-Good...

Jagger

Feb 18, 2023
Surrey United Kingdom
I’m close to ordering the Strive. My first E-Bike.

However, being an E-Bike virgin, I have some questions that I hope the forum can answer for me.

My fitness is important to me. I currently ride/race a Lux. I had a quick go (3 minutes) on a Wild in Eco mode and found it too easy. Is it possible to adjust the assistance so that you have to work harder and use less assistance? Or just pedal harder and go faster?

What happens when you hit the limit of assistance? Can you ride through that to go faster?

I only weight 60K togged up. My goal with this bike is longer hard rides 6 hours plus. Is it worth opting for the bigger battery with my (lack of) weight?

The cranks are 165. All my other bikes are 170 and I have a pretty high average cadence (around 105). Is it possible to change the crank length?

TIA.

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
I’m close to ordering the Strive. My first E-Bike.

However, being an E-Bike virgin, I have some questions that I hope the forum can answer for me.

My fitness is important to me. I currently ride/race a Lux. I had a quick go (3 minutes) on a Wild in Eco mode and found it too easy. Is it possible to adjust the assistance so that you have to work harder and use less assistance? Or just pedal harder and go faster?

What happens when you hit the limit of assistance? Can you ride through that to go faster?

I only weight 60K togged up. My goal with this bike is longer hard rides 6 hours plus. Is it worth opting for the bigger battery with my (lack of) weight?

The cranks are 165. All my other bikes are 170 and I have a pretty high average cadence (around 105). Is it possible to change the crank length?

TIA.
Yes, you can adjust the assistance (at least on my Giant e-bike and I'm sure you can on the Strive).

If the assistance is at max then you can still add more of your own leg power. If you hit the speed limit you can still push through but there will be no motor assistance.

I would go for the larger battery, my Giant with a 500wh can just about manage 6-8 hour rides but I have to nurse it and turn it off on the flat, downhill. I'm hoping 750wh will give that little bit more.

Cranks I'm sure can be changed, but I don't have mine yet so don't hold me to that!

I would add on my current ebike and hopefully on my new one I work just as hard, I just go 3 times as far.

Mars2

May 16, 2023
La Ciotat France

for me the biggest flaw is headset cable routing and block lock which makes simple bearing service much much harder..
For me taking out the headset bearing exactly same job as on bike with "normal" cable routing. it's a 10 minute job max to take them out and back on.
Five screw to unbold after you remove the wheel. kid job
The first thing I did when I got my strive out of the box was to change the fork for a orange fox, Burgtec stem and bar.
For me the job was exactly the same as doing it on my Heckler with "Normal" cable routing.

What make you think it's harder? Did you ever do it on a bike with headset cable routing?

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
For me taking out the headset bearing exactly same job as on bike with "normal" cable routing. it's a 10 minute job max to take them out and back on.
Five screw to unbold after you remove the wheel. kid job
The first thing I did when I got my strive out of the box was to change the fork for a orange fox, Burgtec stem and bar.
For me the job was exactly the same as doing it on my Heckler with "Normal" cable routing.

What make you think it's harder? Did you ever do it on a bike with headset cable routing?
I don't know if we are talking about same thing... :unsure:
Yes I have spectral: on, I haven't done any headset bearing service yet, as bike is fairly new but I know sooner or later I will have to replace it.
So there are 3 cables that are routed through upper headset bearing: derailleur-shifter cable, rear brake (hydro cable) and dropper cable. *there is also 4th cable (steps screen) but it can be easily disconnected.
To take out upper bearing completely you need take out shifter and dropper cable then unbolt hydro cable from the rear brake lever.
After replacing bearing obviously you need to put all together, dropper, shifter cable, set shifting and bleed brake. This is time consuming much more than it is on a bike with "classic" cable routing where cables go through ports behind headset usually on the down tube. I know that's not something you do once a month but still, for me I would prefer classic cable routing where cables don't go through headset bearing but nowadays almost every brand using headset routing 🤷‍♂️

hubertsk

May 24, 2023
Gdansk, Poland
Hi folks, hope you're enjoying your Strive:ONs 🤩
Just remember to check if your cranks are tightened properly ‼️

The left crank on mine just came loose today on the trail; fortunately, I caught it early and tightened it.
It turned out that the drive-side crank was also loose.
I contacted Canyon, and they admitted they knew about the problem (sic!). They asked me to contact them through the website so that they could somehow fix the problem.
Hopefully, they send me the washer I lost because of that 😅

IMG_4703.jpeg

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
Hi folks, hope you're enjoying your Strive:ONs 🤩
Just remember to check if your cranks are tightened properly ‼️

The left crank on mine just came loose today on the trail; fortunately, I caught it early and tightened it.
It turned out that the drive-side crank was also loose.
I contacted Canyon, and they admitted they knew about the problem (sic!). They asked me to contact them through the website so that they could somehow fix the problem.
Hopefully, they send me the washer I lost because of that 😅

View attachment 117309
Happened to my canyon road bike on the first ride

Mars2

May 16, 2023
La Ciotat France
Yes I have spectral: on, I haven't done any headset bearing service yet, as bike is fairly new but I know sooner or later I will have to replace it.
So there are 3 cables that are routed through upper headset bearing: derailleur-shifter cable, rear brake (hydro cable) and dropper cable. *there is also 4th cable (steps screen) but it can be easily disconnected.
To take out upper bearing completely you need take out shifter and dropper cable then unbolt hydro cable from the rear brake lever.
After replacing bearing obviously you need to put all together, dropper, shifter cable, set shifting and bleed brake. This is time consuming much more than it is on a bike with "classic" cable routing where cables go through ports behind headset usually on the down tube. I know that's not something you do once a month but still, for me I would prefer classic cable routing where cables don't go through headset bearing but nowadays almost every brand using headset routing 🤷‍♂️
You don't need to remove any cable.

Like on any bike you remove the the stem, then drop the fork. then you can lift up the ring where the 3 cable goes through and then you have access to the bearing. what is the problem? The cable don't go through the bearing they pass on the side of it. so no cable to remove!!!

Last edited:

Mars2

May 16, 2023
La Ciotat France
Doing this I discover something.

Last weekend after landing from a jump bit too fast I could not avoid a tree that was their just after landing area.
My bar turn 45°.

Now when I dismantle it I see that all the pin on the plastic washes are cut. No more pin but the system still work great.
This make me think that maybe I did not need to make the groove in the Burgetec stem to make those pin go in.
I could just have cut those plastic pin off.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Out of interest, for the OneUp dropper# which clamp/mount do
Doing this I discover something.

Last weekend after landing from a jump bit too fast I could not avoid a tree that was their just after landing area.
My bar turn 45°.

Now when I dismantle it I see that all the pin on the plastic washes are cut. No more pin but the system still work great.
This make me think that maybe I did not need to make the groove in the Burgetec stem to make those pin go in.
I could just have cut those plastic pin off.
What, they all stay aligned still?

Hmm. Too late now, ordered some Renthal Fatbar Carbon V2 bars last night in 31.8mm flavour!

Also, did anyone establish if a OneUp 240 dropper would go all the way into a medium frame?

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Bike finally arrived on Wednesday, UPS failed on Monday & Tuesday, not the best for sure.
Spent Thursday doing the Invisiframe, tubeless set up etc.
Eventually got out for a ride earlier,rode from mine to the nearest place which is more xc/trail than enduro but good enough for a shake down ride,plus I was short on time.
Did 26k with 726m of ascent in 1hr 52 using mainly embt+ mode with a bit of turbo.
Anyone sat on the fence can rest assured its an excellent all rounder,makes everything fun,don't worry that you'll be "overbiked" it's not an issue, handles trail riding exceptionally.
I did have a play around over a few jumps & some steep stuff both up & down & it's a weapon for sure,munched up everything in its path I was clearing 3m gaps with ease,doesn't feel heavy at all,very poppy & flickable.
I felt comfortable on it almost instantly, feels very similar to my 2022 Bronson,which is what I was hoping for.
Only time I noticed the weight was when I had to lift it over a few gates.
Gotta say I'm very impressed with the spec everything is spot on,you won't need to change anything much with it.
I'm not a fan of sram brakes,but after setting up the bite point & reach they felt good.
Suspension feels great, will dial it in to my taste over a few rides.
Canyon dropper works very well,very impressed.
Cherry on the cake is the new sram axs groupset,wonderful piece of tech,haven't ridden a bike with the old axs on so I can't compare the 2,but this new one was so easy to use,very bling but quality none the less.
So first ride was a great one,looking forward to ride no 2 on Sunday, which will be on more challenging terrain.

20230609_154906.jpg 20230609_154917.jpg 20230609_154933.jpg 20230609_152235(0).jpg

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Well I thought mine was still In Frankfurt, given no news from UPS, but just checked the tracking and it claims to be on UK soil.

Still saying Monday delivery, so hopefully it'll come at a convenient time. I have a work meeting in the morning, so hoping I'll have enough time to do that, then rush home for the delivery.

Then I'll also have the Invisiframe to do, which is not a job I enjoy. At least once it's here I can sling a leg over it to decide which length OneUp dropper I need, then I can order all the OneUp gear.

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Well I thought mine was still In Frankfurt, given no news from UPS, but just checked the tracking and it claims to be on UK soil.

Still saying Monday delivery, so hopefully it'll come at a convenient time. I have a work meeting in the morning, so hoping I'll have enough time to do that, then rush home for the delivery.

Then I'll also have the Invisiframe to do, which is not a job I enjoy. At least once it's here I can sling a leg over it to decide which length OneUp dropper I need, then I can order all the OneUp gear.
The Invisiframe was actually not as bad as I feared,best job I've made of one so far & it seemed easier than I remember, even did the Zebs,although I was left alone most of the day,which always helps.
What size frame did you go for?

Bikeraut

Oct 17, 2018
Europe
Hi, i ordered my Strive Cfr ltd yesterday. Comes the bike tubeless? Are the 24 kg with tubes? Is it possible to fit a 500wh battery?

Thanks

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
The Invisiframe was actually not as bad as I feared,best job I've made of one so far & it seemed easier than I remember, even did the Zebs,although I was left alone most of the day,which always helps.
What size frame did you go for?
I think maybe the big square down tube might help. And it’s quite a light colour, which may also help. My Spectral was black and showed up every imperfection. I also ordered the Fox 38 kit. Last time I even did my cranks!

I ordered a medium. Thinking about getting some sort of downtube protector as well. Just need to find a decent one.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Hi, i ordered my Strive Cfr ltd yesterday. Comes the bike tubeless? Are the 24 kg with tubes? Is it possible to fit a 500wh battery?

Thanks
Not sure on the battery - I think it’s just 625 or 750.

The rims come taped for tubeless, but I believe you need to add valves and sealant.

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Not sure on the battery - I think it’s just 625 or 750.

The rims come taped for tubeless, but I believe you need to add valves and sealant.
Yep,that's correct the rims come ready to run tubeless,just need to add valves & sealant.
I've got the 625wh battery in mine,750wh is the other option, I'm guessing it would be compatible with a 500wh but would need a different spacer as it's smaller than the 625wh,which I doubt is available.

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
Forgot to add about sizing.
I'm 183cm tall & the medium is perfect for me,all I did was move the seat back about 10mm & it was bang on,making the bike feel very easy to move around on.
A large would of definitely been to big for me.
As for weight,when riding it doesn't feel any heavier than my 18.5kg Orbea Rise.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I was thinking something like this, but anything we get will have to be placed higher on the downtube because of the skid plate.

ALI2 Mountain Style Bike Downtube Frame Protector for Bike Road Bike https://amzn.eu/d/0pUK3u3

Zefal Downtube Armour Frame Protection, Black https://amzn.eu/d/1ENX751

ENLEE Mountain Bike Down Tube Frame Protector, 3M MTB Bicycle Frame Guard - Protect The Bike from Collision and Scratch https://amzn.eu/d/dheobvP

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles