2023 Rise M10 change to Linkglide

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
Ordered a 2023 Rise M Team. Should be here in a couple weeks. My understanding is that it comes with the 12 speed hyperglide cassettte which has freeshift but not autoshift. This is great. I’ve never had either and freeshift is the one that interests me the most. However, it’d be fun to play with autoshift on occasion. Does anyone know if you change to the 11 speed Linkglide cassette that is capable of both auto- and freeshift, does the RS tuned motor support both functions?

zyonbv

Sep 25, 2023
Wild
Hi, autoshift/freeshift works only with shimano ep801 motor. I don't think you can get the advantages of these features.

Hi, I just realized you are talking about Rise. It looks like they are coming as a package.

Last edited:

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
From my understanding ,although I don't presume to be an expert and am happy to be corrected, the 12 speed hyperglide+ cassette that comes with the Rise is capable of freeshift (automatic shifting when coasting) but does not have the autoshift feature. To get this, you need the 10 or 11 speed cassette with the linkgide system. I'm wondering if we switch to the linkglide 11 speed cassette and the rest of the linkglide system when we replace our cassettes, if our RS-tuned motors support autoshift which shifts under pedal load.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
Yes you are right,it’s only auto shift while coasting.I don’t think only switching the cassette wil be enough to have the complete auto shift function, but you never know?

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
Yes you are right,it’s only auto shift while coasting.I don’t think only switching the cassette wil be enough to have the complete auto shift function, but you never know?
To be honest, I'm not even sure if I would want it. Freeshift sounds useful. I'm reserving judgement on autoshift while pedaling. Would be nice to tinker with it, though. I take delivery of mine in a couple of weeks. I've currently got a 2021 M10. I'll post if I notice any major differences between the Gen 1 and the Gen 2 Rises although I expect them to be very similar.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
To be honest, I'm not even sure if I would want it. Freeshift sounds useful. I'm reserving judgement on autoshift while pedaling. Would be nice to tinker with it, though. I take delivery of mine in a couple of weeks. I've currently got a 2021 M10. I'll post if I notice any major differences between the Gen 1 and the Gen 2 Rises although I expect them to be very similar.
Grendel,

Pink Bike posted an article on Shimano auto shift which details how the system operates. The article mentions that the system was developed to be used with the EP801 motor. I would guess that just because Orbea has de-tuned the EP8 motor to 60nm, it would have no impact on how the auto shift system functions with the EP801 motor.

If you haven’t read the April 2023 article, here’s a link to it:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I have a M20 2023 Rise with EP801 motor.
Replaced the casette with LinkGlide 11 spd, XT Di2 derailluer and shifter ready to enable and play with AutoShift.

The issue is, there is no AutoShift options in the E-tube software - it needs to be enabled by Shimano.
But you can DIY with the free eMax software - it has an option to shift between mechanical and electrical shifter.

Then the AutoShift section in the E-tube software is enabled, and you can play with your settings (RPM and advanced)
I did the first test yesterday and need to play more with my settings.

FeeShift is quite nice actually.

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
Great info!!! I've read a bit about making changes in the eMax software. I'll play with it when it becomes time to change the cassette. Could I trouble you to post your thoughts on the autoshift while pedaling after you play with it for a bit? If you think it's worthwhile, I'm likely to change to the linkglide setup. If you think it is more a gimmick than useful, I'll just stay with the lighter, 12 speed hyperglide system.

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
I’ve got a 23 Rise M20 and replaced the Hyperglide with Linkglide 11 speed cassette and XT mech derailleur after snapping my original derailleur off on a ride. So far I’m liking the feel of the shifting and the weight difference is really not noticeable. Keep in mind that you’ll need to replace your hub also if you go with the switch since Linkglide is not compatible with microspline.

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
Shoot! Great reminder. I had read that but forgotten about it. My new Rise is supposed to arrive in the next week or two. I'll ride the original equipment until the cassette is dead and then switch everything over to the Linkglide 11. I'll need to factor in the cost of a new hub. It's coming with Orbea's new carbon wheels that they are making themselves and speccing with DT Swiss hubs. I"m sure I can order a DT Swiss hub that'll work. I'm lazy so will have the bike shop rebuild the wheel with the compatible hub when I switch out the drivetrain. Thanks for the info!

Did you activate Autoshift in the EP801 software? If so, do you feel it's a gimmick or something that makes some rides better?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
since Linkglide is not compatible with microspline
that's infuriating. Shimano design a better free hub interface (that is supposed to avoid the 'cassette eating free hub splines' problem that HG has, that's going to be worse on high torque e bikes) then makes an e-bike gear system, designed for high torque loads, that doesn't use it.

Surely they could make ONE model of micro spline Linkglide cassette.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Ensure you get a steel hg freehub. It won't get chewed up.
Hub and cap was about £70 for my dt 350.
That's true. But
1) they're heavy
2) because they're heavy they're never fitted OEM (because Manf wants to keep catalogue weight down) so it's always an extra cost.

So far, IME, the new design is just better (and I'm not sure it's more expensive to manufacture?)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles