Rail (750Wh) 2023 Rail 9.8XT Gen 3 - Gen 4 upgrade?

johnboy68

Nov 1, 2022
USA
2023 Rail 9.8XT Gen 3 - Gen 4 upgrade?

Would it be possible to go to the new Bosch controls on my Gen 3 Rail. I love having the Kiox but I really like the new handlebar controller. I'm just wondering if it could be done without much trouble.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
2023 Rail 9.8XT Gen 3 - Gen 4 upgrade?

Would it be possible to go to the new Bosch controls on my Gen 3 Rail. I love having the Kiox but I really like the new handlebar controller. I'm just wondering if it could be done without much trouble.
You have to keep the LED remote, you can lose the Kiox 300 and add a mini remote.

More here:

johnboy68

Nov 1, 2022
USA
I'd think it would work if I got the new top tube system controller and mini remote. I wonder how new bikes like the Crestline keep the Kiox 300 and put the new system controller under the top tube and control the Kiox with the mini remote?

johnboy68

Nov 1, 2022
USA
If you want to keep the kiox then just buy the mini remote and remount the LED remote elsewhere on the bar or in the frame. It’s all in the link I posted above.
Yeah. I read that thread. If I'm going to bodge something I'd rather find a way to attach the new system controller to the top tube than keep that LED remote. I'll probably just keep it the way it is.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Yeah. I read that thread. If I'm going to bodge something I'd rather find a way to attach the new system controller to the top tube than keep that LED remote. I'll probably just keep it the way it is.
Yea, you can't fix the new system controller in the top tube without cutting your frame up, and it would look god ugly mounted on the bars.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
The new "Smart System" components are not compatible with the older motor system used on the Gen 3 Rail 9.8

From this link Bosch Smart System FAQ — G&O Family Cyclery | Seattle Electric Bike Shop
It is called “The Smart System” and unlike previous releases of new Bosch products, it is entirely incompatible with the previous components
Gen 3 and Gen 4 Rail 9.8 are both Bosch Gen 4 smart system, the difference being the controller and remote. Gen 2 Trek Rail use the older, intellectually challenged Bosch Gen 4 system. The difference being the PCB, controller/remote, and motor connectors, including the battery and charging port.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Gen 3 and Gen 4 Rail 9.8 are both Bosch Gen 4 smart system, the difference being the controller and remote. Gen 2 Trek Rail use the older, intellectually challenged Bosch Gen 4 system. The difference being the PCB, controller/remote, and motor connectors, including the battery and charging port.
"Intellectually challenged" perhaps, but Gen 2 Rail users do not have to be at the shitty end of Bosch's endless messing about with its software in its quest to create an ever increasing Bosch-centric proprietary marketing universe.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles