2023 Giant Trance X E+ / E+ Elite

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
Also, Giant has a promo right now. For anyone that has already purchassed a Giant ebike this year or who purchases by May 31 and registers their bike by May 31, you can get a free dash computer. See their website for details. Just got mine in the mail but haven't installed yet.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Also, Giant has a promo right now. For anyone that has already purchassed a Giant ebike this year or who purchases by May 31 and registers their bike by May 31, you can get a free dash computer. See their website for details. Just got mine in the mail but haven't installed yet.
Interested in this, anyone in Europe able to see this offer?

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Pulled the trigger on the Elite 3 in a medium. Haven't taken it out yet.
20230517_174725.jpg
20230517_190747.jpg

Also, I'm not inclined to weight weenie out a 46 pound bike, but I'm at the height limit for the stock saddle/dropper. With a Duster saddle, I get another 5mm to play with. It also drops about .4 lb. I expect if I were to throw my One Up bars on, it would drop it down quite a bit as well. I doubt I'll do that, but you could drop weight pretty easily, if that's your goal. I'm actually okay with the stock saddle, so that's going back on. (And this is with large Crank Brothers Stamp 1 pedals.)

20230518_071844.jpg

Last edited:

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Pulled the trigger on the Elite 3 in a medium. Haven't taken it out yet.
View attachment 114968 View attachment 114969

Also, I'm not inclined to weight weenie out a 46 pound bike, but I'm at the height limit for the stock saddle/dropper. With a Duster saddle, I get another 5mm to play with. It also drops about .4 lb. I expect if I were to throw my One Up bars on, it would drop it down quite a bit as well. I doubt I'll do that, but you could drop weight pretty easily, if that's your goal. I'm actually okay with the stock saddle, so that's going back on.

View attachment 114973
Congrats! That’s a reasonably priced model. Thanks for weighing it for us. Looking forward to your ride impressions.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Went for a quicky this A.M. Sadly, I failed "turning on Strava" because I wanted to compare HR's. I'm in Park City, Utah and have been riding here for over 30 years and wanted to get an ebike to reduce my HR on some of these painful climbs. My objectives may change as I get used to the power available, though!

The ride I was on today is 4 miles (4.01) and 1274 feet of climbing, one way to the top. Normally, on my Trance 29er, I'm pushing hard at 90+% max heart rate continuously in 2nd and 3rd gear with a 30t front ring on a 10-51 rear.

I set "Sport" to 100% Support, 30NM Torque and 1 on Launch and kept it there. With a 34t front and the 10-51 rear, I was mostly in 4th and 5th gears and giggling at how civilized the climb was! I think I was pretty much 70-80% max HR by perception the whole way and of course MUCH faster.

I also got some numbers that may help in sizing. My distance from pedal to where my sit bones are on my mountain bike is 33". That's what it is on the Elite 3 as well. I can maybe raise my post half an inch from full down with the stock dropper. The LBS offered to put on a smaller dropper at no charge to help, but if your distance is the same or greater, it should fit. If you put on an SDG Duster saddle, that will gain you a little more.

Using a completely scientifically accurate tape measure, I get 13.6" BB height in low and in high, 14.1". I don't see much reason to run it in high. And, at about 8 mph, the wind over my ears was enough to block out any engine noise. Of course, I'm also pretty deaf.

Nice bike!

Last edited:

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
Got the 2, size M yesterday and swapped all the parts I ordered in the last weeks.
The weight in the shop with tubes, bottle cage was 20.76 kg
I like this new toy I had the chance to test only around my house. It's nimble and i like the feeling of the rear suspension. I like the paint and the way the frame has been designed and built. The motor is strong and has a nice robotic mild noise.
In the pics with:
-custom wheel set Newmen Evolution SL E.G 30, DT hybrid 240 30 T , DT comp spokes
-Sixpack Vertic carbon 785 mm, 20 mm rise
-XT cassette
-Braking batfly/ wfix 203 rotors
-Sqlab Ergowave S-tube saddle
-HT nano ANS01 pedals and Pro crank boots

Estimated weight with bottle cage, tubeless, without pedals: 19.4 kg (42.8 lbs), but I will double check it in the next days.

20230518_235307.jpg 20230518_235156.jpg

Last edited:

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
Went for a quicky this A.M. Sadly, I failed "turning on Strava" because I wanted to compare HR's. I'm in Park City, Utah and have been riding here for over 30 years and wanted to get an ebike to reduce my HR on some of these painful climbs. My objectives may change as I get used to the power available, though!

The ride I was on today is 4 miles (4.01) and 1274 feet of climbing, one way to the top. Normally, on my Trance 29er, I'm pushing hard at 90+% max heart rate continuously in 2nd and 3rd gear with a 30t front ring on a 10-51 rear.

I set "Sport" to 100% Support, 30NM Torque and 1 on Launch and kept it there. With a 34t front and the 10-51 rear, I was mostly in 4th and 5th gears and giggling at how civilized the climb was! I think I was pretty much 70-80% max HR by perception the whole way and of course MUCH faster.

I also got some numbers that may help in sizing. My distance from pedal to where my sit bones are on my mountain bike is 33". That's what it is on the Elite 3 as well. I can maybe raise my post half an inch from full down with the stock dropper. The LBS offered to put on a smaller dropper at no charge to help, but if your distance is the same or greater, it should fit. If you put on an SDG Duster saddle, that will gain you a little more.

Using a completely scientifically accurate tape measure, I get 13.6" BB height in low and in high, 14.1". I don't see much reason to run it in high. And, at about 8 mph, the wind over my ears was enough to block out any engine noise. Of course, I'm also pretty deaf.

Nice bike!
Mine was set in high stock and I put it in low. Moved all the spacers below the handlebar and I felt it better for me. I'm getting a 35 mm stem just in case, as the Sixpack Vertic has 7 ° backsweep instead of 9 ° of the giant stock handlebar.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Mine was set in high stock and I put it in low. Moved all the spacers below the handlebar and I felt it better for me. I'm getting a 35 mm stem just in case, as the Sixpack Vertic has 7 ° backsweep instead of 9 ° of the giant stock handlebar.
Yeah, I have nothing against the stock bars, but I needed a little more height for back comfort. Put on the One Up bars I had because they are 35mm rise. I've done a similar thing with 12 degree backsweep bars and a longer stem - kinda opposite of your change. I also just put in a Turbolight insert on the back tire. Surprisingly easy to do!

WHICH REMINDS ME - When you take off the controller, there is a small square metal piece that's NOT attached to anything and it will try to run away from you when you take that off the bars! It is a metal piece that the tightening screw pushes into the bar.

Last edited:

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
Congrats on the two new bikes, they look great!

Montana St Alum, could you send a picture of your bike with the OneUp 35 rise bars. Curious to see what they look like..

For EL2 and EL3 owners (EL0 and EL1 are AXS with no derailer cable) it's worth a check to make sure the protective sleeve is slid up through the lower link to protect the cable. It took some coaxing but got mine to slide up a bit..

20230504_075159.jpg 20230510_210613.jpg

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
I received my 200WH battery extender and install kit and weighed it for anyone that is interested:

Extender + cage + cage strap + cord = 45.25oz or 2.83 lbs

Removing the 1.45oz Giant bottle cage that I had on the bike results in an increase to the bike of 43.8oz or 2.74 lbs.

Retention with the top catch and strap is excellent and the cord has just enough extra length to curve in a way that doesnt require the provided cable strap (at least on a Large frame)

20230503_211605.jpg 20230503_211626.jpg

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Congrats on the two new bikes, they look great!

Montana St Alum, could you send a picture of your bike with the OneUp 35 rise bars. Curious to see what they look like..

For EL2 and EL3 owners (EL0 and EL1 are AXS with no derailer cable) it's worth a check to make sure the protective sleeve is slid up through the lower link to protect the cable. It took some coaxing but got mine to slide up a bit..

View attachment 115051 View attachment 115052
Sure.
35mm rise, 800mm wide.

20230519_063615.jpg

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
Yeah, I have nothing against the stock bars, but I needed a little more height for back comfort. Put on the One Up bars I had because they are 35mm rise. I've done a similar thing with 12 degree backsweep bars and a longer stem - kinda opposite of your change. I also just put in a Turbolight insert on the back tire. Surprisingly easy to do!

WHICH REMINDS ME - When you take off the controller, there is a small square metal piece that's NOT attached to anything and it will try to run away from you when you take that off the bars! It is a metal piece that the tightening screw pushes into the bar.
Yeah, the little piece of metal fell on the floor during the bar swap!

As for the handlebar, opted for carbon to cut weight (196 g on my scale) and vibration damping. I bought the Sixpack Vertic carbon as it's 785 mm out of the box, with no need to cut the ends to fit my needs. That one has less backsweep at 7° like the Renthal' and you can notice visually the differences with a 9°.I found a review on the web showing that this backsweep angle difference makes the cockpit longer by like 3-4 m, so it moves some weight to the front, then I found a great deal for a nice 115 g CNC 35 mm stem to put back the weight. See the attachment. I'll get it next week.

bg_20230503-041714.jpg

Last edited:

Drewf

May 21, 2020
USA
I just got the Elite 3 and got my free Dash M200 last week. I was curious if you got your Dash working? I am struggling with accurate speed and distance. Since the bike is a mullet not sure if that is the problem. I tried both 27.5 and 29. I also tried using different movement sensors as "bike" and "wheel sensor". My apple watch GPS and the Dash disagree on on the distance of a 9 mile ride by 1 mile. Another annoyance is the during my ride the Dash re-detects sensors it already found. Curious if you or anyone else has had any luck with the Dash? Glad this thing was free.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I just got the Elite 3 and got my free Dash M200 last week. I was curious if you got your Dash working? I am struggling with accurate speed and distance. Since the bike is a mullet not sure if that is the problem. I tried both 27.5 and 29. I also tried using different movement sensors as "bike" and "wheel sensor". My apple watch GPS and the Dash disagree on on the distance of a 9 mile ride by 1 mile. Another annoyance is the during my ride the Dash re-detects sensors it already found. Curious if you or anyone else has had any luck with the Dash? Glad this thing was free.
Did Giant contact you, or did you have to reach out to them?

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
I haven't had time to install it yet. Will reply back after I have set it up and tested for a while..

Ridemore

Apr 25, 2023
Idaho
After you register the bike they should contact you with a code. I had to have the selling shop contact the rep to get the code sent to me by email. It showed up quickly also had it sent to the shop in order to get free shipping.
You just need to make sure you register your ebike on the Giant website by 5/31 and they will mail you the code in a couple weeks, then make sure to order the computer quickly on the Giant Website and enter the code at checkout.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I rode 8.66 miles, 1389 feet of climbing all in "Sport" which was set to 125% Support, 40NM, and 3 on Launch. HR was much lower than on my mountain bike (zone 3 Vs. zone 5), and the ride was completed in about 75% of the time.
I used 35% battery (from 93% to 58%).

It takes an hour to charge back up from 58% to 88%.

Last edited:

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
Hi, installed the CNC 35 mm stem I got in the last days. Went for a zero gap installation for top bolts and gap at the bottom ones, as this is the way It's shown in the product pictures. No specific recommendation about this provided by the handlebar manufacturer Sixpack (my PRO tharsis handlebar manual says it has be installed with zero gap).The steering feels a bit different than the Giant 40 mm stem, even not radically. I can feel the differences on sharp cornering and U turns.

I bought at a local bike shop a pair of black, Xpedo Spry and swapped the flat head pins with more aggressive pins set I had available: proper grip and a final weight of 264 g. They look good and, in my opinion, are a better match with the bike vs the HT Ans01 I moved to my Slash.
Weight drop of 135 g, so the bike with pedals and bottle cage is now about 19.65 Kg (43.4 LBS).

Played with the app and went for a gradual ramp from 20 to 85 Nm Max torque over the 5 assistance level, left unaltered the assistance % and decreased the by 1 the launch control at 1 to 3. Left unchanged the level 5.

I'll put on some strategic protections tomorrow and then go out for a ride!

bglidin

May 5, 2020
So Cal
Have you figured out the dash as I am having the same issue ? My distance is way off but the speed is close because I feel the motor stop assisting @ 20ish.

Drewf

May 21, 2020
USA
Have you figured out the dash as I am having the same issue ? My distance is way off but the speed is close because I feel the motor stop assisting @ 20ish.
No I still have the same problem. Does your Dash keep re-detecting the candence sensor over and over while your riding too? So I think the speed and distance being off is coming from the bike and not really the fault of the Dash. If you do a ride with the Giant Ride Control app connected to your bike, you get speed and distance data in the app and I think its still off/wrong straight from the bike. So the Dash is just getting data from the bike, assuming your are using "bike" as your movement source on the Dash. No where in the Giant Ride Control app do I see settings for wheel size and my guess is that is the issue. Regarding the motor cutting off at 20mph, yes mine does this as it should but I think the speed is a bit off.

Last edited:

bglidin

May 5, 2020
So Cal
No I still have the same problem. Does your Dash keep re-detecting the candence sensor over and over while your riding too? So I think the speed and distance being off is coming from the bike and not really the fault of the Dash. If you do a ride with the Giant Ride Control app connected to your bike, you get speed and distance data in the app and I think its still off/wrong straight from the bike. So the Dash is just getting data from the bike, assuming your are using "bike" as your movement source on the Dash. No where in the Giant Ride Control app do I see settings for wheel size and my guess is that is the issue. Regarding the motor cutting off at 20mph, yes mine does this as it should but I think the speed is a bit off.
I am not losing sensor connection. You maybe correct about the bike being the problem. I am going to take the bike in and have them verify the problem. I think the dash maybe extra weight if it doesn’t work

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
After several days of rain, finally I went out for a spin. Tons of mud, so I couldn't test really the bike capabilities. Very happy about the app setting I used, by limiting the torque and using a milder launch control at the first 3 levels, that were the only ones I used. Used just 31% of the battery for my typical ride. I can't share the mileage, as I forgot to start recording the run. Maybe because I'm 60 Kg and My legs were always strong and because for road transfer I'm inflating the tyres at 2.3-2.4 bar, but I think the range capacity of the bike is above my expectations and needs.

The rear suspension is very active and works really well. Sad I couldn't be fast enough to test the descending qualities, because of the muddy conditions.

Got the feeling the front of the bike was stiffer compared to my alloy 2022 Trek Slash. I'm running 18% sag on the fork that came by the pressure recommended by Fox for my weight, 785 mm carbon handlebar and 35X35 stem. On the Slash I'm using the same stem lenght and 800 mm handlebar that should flex a bit more and Lyrik 170 at 20% sag. Maybe the front triangle is stiffer than the Slash? The steering tube looks beefy and it is flat for an extended lenght.
I must say this time I forgot wearing the gloves, so I had less damping and grip on the bar than usual.
I'm looking for the next ride...without mud!

bglidin

May 5, 2020
So Cal
Added one up 35mm ebars and adding another ergo 3 switch. My question is has anyone added a switch yet ? Are the wires in the ride control panel ? Did you do it without disconnecting the battery?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles