Other 2022 Kenevo SL Rumours ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Given the patent release.. seems like this should happen soon! Who knows if that patent covers this, but I would love to see the next SL have the enduro linkage and resultant kinematics.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
No that’s just a Levo SL expert with an push 11-6 shock an a MRP ribbon fork.
What has been seen out in the wild (allegedly) is this bike
View attachment 39772
with this motor
View attachment 39773

2EB0D894-6D4F-499C-95C8-9B164A6DE8EA.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Since it’s Christmas .. my wish list for this bike:

(Size large/S4:)
170/170mm travel
64 deg HTA with an adjustable headset (ala: SJ Evo) that allows for +1 deg
WB~ 1260-1280mm
Reach ~ 485-495mm
CS Length ~ 435-445mm (adjustable with a flip chip)
Stack ~ 640 ish (Idk here.. my XL SL with a 170mm fork feels good?)
STA 77 deg
Kinematics of the Enduro with ~ 25% progressivity in the linear-progressive fashion + rearward axle path. Basically the enduro
Motor SL+ ~ 45nm of torque (I heard this in a rumor a longgg time ago.. who knows)
Battery ~ 360-380wh - slightly larger but not too much heavier
Weight <42lb ideally which should be achievable I think.

I hope that they include some of the adjustability that the SJ Evo has given that e-bikes are generally more versatile and ridden on more variety of trails than their acoustic counterparts.

• Hot
Reactions: CjP

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I had a few minutes earlier to look at the suspension kinematics for this and compare it with a few things. This is all pretty new for me so ignore most of what I say as it's probably bollox. Or baubles as it's xmas.

First off, the 2020 Demo of this design was incredibly similar to the Canyon Sender CF in it's execution, even if visually, they were slightly different.

At the time the main differences were that Spesh mounted the shock to the downtube rather than the top tube, and to much positive acclaim, used the same pivot for the shock link and the chainstay - unlike the Canyon, which had a separate pivot for the shock link - which made things a lot simpler on the 2020 Demo. With the latest 2021 demo design and the emtb version, the shock link and chain stay pivots are now separate - like the Canyon. Also, the connecting link on the demo was a lot longer than the connecting link on the Canyon.

On the latest 2021 Canyon Sender CF, the connecting link is now longer, like the Demo and the shock now mounts to to downtube rather than the top tube. The Canyon has retained it's separate pivots for the shock linkage and chainstay, though the shock linkage pivot has moved down to be much closer to the chainstay pivot, effectively mounting off the downtube, rather than the seat tube.

2021 Canyon Sender CFR :

canyon sender cfr.jpg

Note that the Canyon has two different shock mount positions to give different linkage ratios depending on if you're running 27.5 or 29.

So that's the basics of those two out of the way as I see it. Onto the Stock Demo 2021 frame and the Kenevo SL 2021 Frame... or Demo SL, or whatever they decide to call it .. They might want to keep the Kenevo as meaning "Bulldozer Suicide Tractor" or broadsword and this new bike to be more a light sabre - light .. see .. .get it ... ?

For the EMTB version of the Demo frame , compared to the Normal version of the Demo frame, the Chainstay link is moved quite a way further back to accommodate the motor/battery housing. One advantage of this should be that there will be less chain growth through the suspension movement due to the less vertical rise of the wheel, which should also give less pedal kickback compared to the stock 2021 Demo. The downside, is I think it will be slightly less progressive than the stock 2021 Demo and anti-squat might also not be quite as good... but as I say, I'm new to all this crap so I could be completely working that out wrong.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I had a few minutes earlier to look at the suspension kinematics for this and compare it with a few things. This is all pretty new for me so ignore most of what I say as it's probably bollox. Or baubles as it's xmas.

First off, the 2020 Demo of this design was incredibly similar to the Canyon Sender CF in it's execution, even if visually, they were slightly different.

At the time the main differences were that Spesh mounted the shock to the downtube rather than the top tube, and to much positive acclaim, used the same pivot for the shock link and the chainstay - unlike the Canyon, which had a separate pivot for the shock link - which made things a lot simpler on the 2020 Demo. With the latest 2021 demo design and the emtb version, the shock link and chain stay pivots are now separate - like the Canyon, except even more complicated as it now has twin shock link pivots ! Also, the connecting link on the demo was a lot longer than the connecting link on the Canyon.

On the latest 2021 Canyon Sender CF, the connecting link is now longer, like the Demo and the shock now mounts to to downtube rather than the top tube. The Canyon has retained it's separate pivots for the shock linkage and chainstay, though the shock linkage pivot has moved down to be much closer to the chainstay pivot, effectively mounting off the downtube, rather than the seat tube.

2021 Canyon Sender CFR :

View attachment 48180

Note that the Canyon has two different shock mount positions to give different linkage ratios depending on if you're running 27.5 or 29.

So that's the basics of those two out of the way as I see it. Onto the Stock Demo 2021 frame and the Kenevo SL 2021 Frame... or Demo SL, or whatever they decide to call it .. They might want to keep the Kenevo as meaning "Bulldozer Suicide Tractor" or broadsword and this new bike to be more a light sabre - light .. see .. .get it ... ?

For the EMTB version of the Demo frame , compared to the Normal version of the Demo frame, the Chainstay link is moved quite a way further back to accommodate the motor/battery housing. One advantage of this should be that there will be less chain growth through the suspension movement due to the less vertical rise of the wheel, which should also give less pedal kickback compared to the stock 2021 Demo. The downside, is I think it will be slightly less progressive than the stock 2021 Demo and anti-squat might also not be quite as good... but as I say, I'm new to all this crap so I could be completely working that out wrong.

To me the frame definitely looks like its based off of the Enduro more so than the Demo. It literally looks like an Enduro with the motor integrated into the bottom bracket when compared to each other.

E7EEFEFD-00F8-4735-8BA2-59AFB4F11149.png
EE8E5F16-7754-41F5-988A-38EBF2E94527.jpeg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
To me the frame definitely looks like its based off of the Enduro more so than the Demo. It literally looks like an Enduro with the motor integrated into the bottom bracket when compared to each other.
The 2021 Lightweight Enduro, Light Sabre, dEmo, Keneno SL ... is a real mix of design features. Primarily it looks like they've tried to take the advancements of the 2021 Demo suspension over the 2020, but try to work that around the requirements for motor, battery and blend it into something maybe slightly less focused than the Demo ?

I suspect there was much head scratching, swearing, slapping of lederhosen and no doubt many 1000's of litres of schnapps were consumed.

The 2020 Enduro and below, the 2020 Demo. Both utilising the shared pivot for chainstay and shock pivot, but lots of other diferences.

2020 Enduro.jpg

2020 demo.jpg

The 2021 Demo and the 2021 dEmo (SL) :

2021 Demo Stock.png

2021 dEmo.png

There are VAST differences between the 2021 Demo and the 2021 dEmo SL. I know a lot of us (me included) were doubtful they'd manage to make that configuration work with an emtb, but it looks like they have something. Importantly, it has space for a watter bottle/bottle battery.

It's also interesting that on the patent images, the dEmo is shown with a coil shock - something like a Fox DHX2 derivative ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m wondering what the BB height will be. They’d have to take some travel off the enduro otherwise I bet it would skim a lot of ground. Clearly it’ll have to be on 29”. I think the enduros true rear is something like 177mm.
Good question .... just guessing, but the crank height looks a good 30mm lower on the E compared to the Enduro compared to rear axle height.

BB's

Sender CFR - 352
Levo SL - 348
2020 Enduro low - 346/347 (depending where you read)
2020 Enduro high - 354
2020 demo - 350
2020 Kenevo Expert - 345

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Exactly. After riding these more modern bikes the current SL GEO is super XC feeling. I’ll be stoked on an SL EVO.

Yea. i have a SB140 for my manual fun...and i ride it with the SL back to back on the same trails alot. The SL is just...not right, it feels front heavy, seat is too high even when slammed, etc

Dont get me wrong, i still like it alot, but i think a SL based on a more modern geo would be what im looking for

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
As the owner of a 2020 Kenevo modified with 29 wheels, a 2020 Enduro and 2021 SJ Evo the main advantage of the Enduro 6 bar link is for pedaling efficiency. In terms of how the bikes ride, they are very similar. I am actually faster descending on my Kenevo setup even though my Enduro has a 38/Ohlins TTX setup.

Here is my Kenevo setup with 29 wheels, 700 wHr battery, Fox X2 Factory/170 Lyrik etc. The only thing left stock is the frame/motor

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

Here is my Enduro Setup with a Fox 38/Ohlins build. Also have an X2 setup as well

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

My biggest hope is for a true 29 setup on the Kenevo, but other than that, IMO there is not much to improve. Honestly this bike rides so well with the 29 wheels that there is really no reason for me to upgrade to a new bike once it is released, although I will get it anyway.

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
Yea. i have a SB140 for my manual fun...and i ride it with the SL back to back on the same trails alot. The SL is just...not right, it feels front heavy, seat is too high even when slammed, etc

Dont get me wrong, i still like it alot, but i think a SL based on a more modern geo would be what im looking for

Exactly. I also have a standard LEVO that feels better. And an Enduro. I still like mine no doubt but an SL with that Enduro GEO would be a dream.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would suspect that with the lower power motor, the peddling platform provided by the Enduro design, would come back into play as being of benefit as you are going to want the most efficiency out of the lower power motor, whereas on a FF EMTB it is less relevant.

Will be interesting to see what tune the Mahle motor has on the Enduro/Demo SL, I wouldnt be surprised to see a higher output. I would have thought the market for such a bike would see a lot of owners wanting a bit more assistance than that offered on the SL, and the bike itself is bound to be a fair bit heavier.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
I would suspect that with the lower power motor, the peddling platform provided by the Enduro design, would come back into play as being of benefit as you are going to want the most efficiency out of the lower power motor, whereas on a FF EMTB it is less relevant.

Will be interesting to see what tune the Mahle motor has on the Enduro/Demo SL, I wouldnt be surprised to see a higher output. I would have thought the market for such a bike would see a lot of owners wanting a bit more assistance than that offered on the SL, and the bike itself is bound to be a fair bit heavier.

I agree that the need for Enduro suspension layout would really only benefit an SL package and not a full E package. Will be interesting to see what the uptake is on an SL Enduro eBike. The longer wheelbase of the Kenevo really allows it to monster truck up some crazy climbs. For steep technical climbs I think it is a better setup than my Levo and blasting up singletrack climbs in turbo is a riot. Not sure how many riders will want more limited range/power in exchange for less weight in this class of bike.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
. Will be interesting to see what tune the Mahle motor has on the Enduro/Demo SL, I wouldnt be surprised to see a higher output. I would have thought the market for such a bike would see a lot of owners wanting a bit more assistance than that offered on the SL, and the bike itself is bound to be a fair bit heavier.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 45nm

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Again -3rd or 4th party info but when I heard about this future bike a few months ago , it was stated that the motor output would be bumped a bit .. maybe 45nm torque. If true, I do think that would beneficial if the weight wasn’t negatively . You could always dumb down a mode or two to get the similar current SL power tune .

I would love to check out your Kenevo one day (and seriously still amazed we haven’t ridden together ) @Salespunk . Curious if my experience on the old Kenevo was more old school geo and wonky kinematics than the 12 lb+ weight difference over my SL.

aftrunx

Nov 26, 2020
Switzerland
I got same information again from an other Dealer. The new Kenevo will be much lighter with a smaller Battery...
The question is, if it will be the only one Kenevo or will there be also a new full range version.
I would be very happy about a fox 38,170mm, Enduro based eBike with Magura M7 or Sram RSC.. that will be a Dream.
Actually i‘m jn Love with the Santa Cruz Bullit for a Carbon Bike or for less Budget the Focus Sam2 6.9.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I got same information again from an other Dealer. The new Kenevo will be much lighter with a smaller Battery...
The question is, if it will be the only one Kenevo or will there be also a new full range version.
I would be very happy about a fox 38,170mm, Enduro based eBike with Magura M7 or Sram RSC.. that will be a Dream.
Actually i‘m jn Love with the Santa Cruz Bullit for a Carbon Bike or for less Budget the Focus Sam2 6.9.
i think we will see a FF Levo first before we see an update to the FF Kenevo which will come out a year later
I am looking forward to a SL version of the kenevo. hopefully available real real soon

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
Let´s have a look at what Specialized presented in 2020 (MTBs without motor):

- new Demo
- new Status
- new Epic
- new Epic EVO
- new Chisel
- new Stumpjumper
- new Stumpjumper EVO
Considering this, except of maybe the Enduro, there´s nothing new to be expected in 2021 regarding MTBs without motor.

So my prediction is that there will be a fleet of new E-MTB models presented by Specialized this year.

New Levo is for sure, I think. Something like a Kenevo or Enduro SL also. Maybe a Levo with a more aggressive geometry like the Stumpjumper EVO.
Interesting to see how the pandemic will affect the presentations of Specialized. And also the availability of all these bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles