2022 Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 750 SL Review

slavio

Mar 29, 2022
Poland
Nice video.. but I think you're just nitpicking with that rattle noise. I get the impression you're trying to convince yourself that compared to Trek Rail you have and had to cough up extra $$ there's got to be something lesser with the Cube. Why wouldn't you do a comparison of that different rattle noises you show around 5:10 in your video compared to Trek Rail? I kind of suspect you'll see the same imperfections in Trek....

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
The battery cover looks horrific! But overall, this looks fun and v good value. Owning the current SH140 I can see why the 27.5s were the way forward as it can be sluggish using 29s with 24kg and the compromise on getting the weight through the turns I'm guessing the 27s was the way to go.
Useful review as always :cool:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Nice video.. but I think you're just nitpicking with that rattle noise. I get the impression you're trying to convince yourself that compared to Trek Rail you have and had to cough up extra $$ there's got to be something lesser with the Cube. Why wouldn't you do a comparison of that different rattle noises you show around 5:10 in your video compared to Trek Rail? I kind of suspect you'll see the same imperfections in Trek....
The bike is a LOT louder than the Trek Rail, that's why I mentioned it. I suspect some of it has to do with anti rise / squat and pedal kickback pulling on the chainring when the suspension is moving through the travel.

My job is to nitpick, thats kind of what I do in the videos. Like the rail video, nit picking about the battery release keys that bother me for the battery, the poor integration of the display etc etc.

There's plenty of other video channels that wont mention any faults on bikes out there, but no bikes are perfect and I think its worth mentioning stuff like rattles (that some people dont mind, others wont buy a bike because its irritating enough!)

slavio

Mar 29, 2022
Poland
The bike is a LOT louder than the Trek Rail, that's why I mentioned it. I suspect some of it has to do with anti rise / squat and pedal kickback pulling on the chainring when the suspension is moving through the travel.

My job is to nitpick, thats kind of what I do in the videos. Like the rail video, nit picking about the battery release keys that bother me for the battery, the poor integration of the display etc etc.

There's plenty of other video channels that wont mention any faults on bikes out there, but no bikes are perfect and I think its worth mentioning stuff like rattles (that some people dont mind, others wont buy a bike because its irritating enough!)
Got your point - and thanks again for making the vid. Perhaps I'm a bit biased as I love my Cube 160 TM (that's my 3rd ebike by now) and if it was me I'd put the accents differently than you - that's however your vid and your freedom to express your opinions. That's not to say I think Cube it's perfect. I have recently discovered that after ~700 km it developed this creaking noise from somewhere in a suspension - something similar to what you can see in this YT vid: .

Would love to see this bike's long term review from you - keep up the good work!

Cheers,
S.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Good honest video ! Thumbs up !

The battery cover on mine sits much better, maybe it will get worse once I do jumps like you in 3:27 :)
My motor was loud the first 250km, suddenly much better now.

The clunking noise isn't there on mine.

But when trying the bike in the shop, the motor was not decently fixed, I saw the chainring moving/tilting left/right 5 mm !!
* When changing the cassette, I discovered the ring was nearly loose.
* The inner tube valve was badly positioned too.
* One wheel bolt was plenty of grease, the other completely dry.

For me, a very good bike, very poorly assembled,
I will certainly check all suspensions points, thanks Slavio for the German video.

I did some upgrades and modifications: Cube Stereo 160 S 750 2022 Specs Modifications - EMTB Forums

Last edited:

slavio

Mar 29, 2022
Poland
I had the core valves not properly screwed in right from the factory which resulted in air leaking out when putting the plastic valve top cap on. Only discovered it once I took the tube out as was thinking there's a small puncture somwhere. Definetely a room for improvement for Cube factory

J_A_N_G

Jun 21, 2022
Austria
On my 160 TM I only had to adjust the bottom srew, now the battery cover sits perfectly tight (y)

As for frame noise/ vibrancy, I stuck some damping material behind the batterymount/ cablehousing, helped a lot IMO 😗 IMG20220620175359.jpg IMG20220611125015~3.jpg IMG20220611121511.jpg

J_A_N_G

Jun 21, 2022
Austria
It sure adds some minor weight (used the 3mm material, there is also 2 & 4 mm), but cant tell how much exactly.

Edit: approximately 200g (I used a slightly narrower piece, than in the picture above!)

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Cannot believe Cube don't have a 29" version of this bike. They must be one of the only manufacturers left that is using a F&R 27.5" bike
I like my 27.5 wheels, but would have preferred a front fork with a 10mm higher connection bridge, to allow a 29x2.25 wheel and tyre.
Now it 'just' touched (tested with Vittoria Mezcal @2bar), so a 29x2.10 could work.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Good legit review. That noise is bonkers.
29 inch is new normal.
They should do ally 29 with a cover that works.
I'll stll look into one.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I have the 2020 version and didn't notice the noise until watching the video about the 2022 version 🤔😭

Whilst tuned into noises on today's ride I've also now noticed a clicking from the front, could be headset or forks, not sure yet so that will need investigation, seems to happen when the forks are being used but that could also still be headset related 🤔

And FWIW the 27.5 wheels are the exact reason I have a Cube Stereo, I'm only 5'9", I look ridiculous on 29" wheeled bikes and I ride a lot of flat trails so it's perfect for that and does just fine on the downhill sections of trails. Not everyone wants to constantly bomb down hills soaking up roots and rocks so I really hope Cube keep the 27.5" version of the bike going for many years 🤞🏻🤙🏻

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
That battery cover definitely isn’t fitted correctly, I have the same on my Reaction EXC 750 and it fits like a glove. I quite like it - it’s lightweight and acts as a kind of stone guard and is only £15 or so to replace when it starts to look tatty.

@Rob Rides EMTB mine rattled like that - part of the noise was the battery rattling. Couldn’t find any adjustment to the lock mechanism, so I stuck a rubber pad in the battery tray to hold the battery firmer and the noise improved a lot.

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I’ve only been for a quick ride on my TM but that saddle!!!! Probably the most uncomfortable one I’ve ever had. It’s now being replaced. One thing I wasn’t expecting was the large frame feeling a bit short. I’m 6ft but must have monkey arms as I feel like I need to stretch out a bit. Have ordered a slightly longer stem and hopefully the new saddle might make a difference as well.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I’ve only been for a quick ride on my TM but that saddle!!!! Probably the most uncomfortable one I’ve ever had. It’s now being replaced. One thing I wasn’t expecting was the large frame feeling a bit short. I’m 6ft but must have monkey arms as I feel like I need to stretch out a bit. Have ordered a slightly longer stem and hopefully the new saddle might make a difference as well.
I had to change the saddle right away on my 2020 Stereo. Got the Ergon SMC Sport Gel saddle and its way way better, it also moved slightly further back than the stock on so that along with rider bars and that sorted the reach issue out for me.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Hopefully that’ll be the same with mine. £50 for another 10mm length seemed a touch expensive.
Haha yeah I know 🤣 What with my saddle and bars I spent £90 but figured it was better than being sat off the back of the saddle the whole time, plus the saddle is way more comfortable.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
...One thing I wasn’t expecting was the large frame feeling a bit short. I’m 6ft but...
The chart says I fit an M.
I did a test on a 140S M and it felt a bit too little.
The 160 L I bought feels OK, I moved the Spartan saddle a bit to the front.
Maybe I will shorten the steering bar with 2x 20mm.

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire
I have the 2020 version and didn't notice the noise until watching the video about the 2022 version 🤔😭

Whilst tuned into noises on today's ride I've also now noticed a clicking from the front, could be headset or forks, not sure yet so that will need investigation, seems to happen when the forks are being used but that could also still be headset related 🤔

And FWIW the 27.5 wheels are the exact reason I have a Cube Stereo, I'm only 5'9", I look ridiculous on 29" wheeled bikes and I ride a lot of flat trails so it's perfect for that and does just fine on the downhill sections of trails. Not everyone wants to constantly bomb down hills soaking up roots and rocks so I really hope Cube keep the 27.5" version of the bike going for many years 🤞🏻🤙🏻
Hi my 160 action team made that sort of noise , I traced it to the seals in the headset , just loosened it up and smeared some grease in there and the noise has gone now , it’s been quite for months now

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Cannot believe Cube don't have a 29" version of this bike. They must be one of the only manufacturers left that is using a F&R 27.5" bike

I can't believe manufacturers don't use both 27.5" and 29" wheels on the same model depending upon the frame size. I'm a firm believer the wheels should scale up with the frame. Same with the size of the discs. Of course, doing these sensible things would have the unintended consequence of the larger frame sizes costing considerably more. But it makes a lot of sense.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I can't believe manufacturers don't use both 27.5" and 29" wheels on the same model depending upon the frame size. I'm a firm believer the wheels should scale up with the frame. Same with the size of the discs. Of course, doing these sensible things would have the unintended consequence of the larger frame sizes costing considerably more. But it makes a lot of sense.
I'd like to see bike models be offered in both wheel sizes. I love 27.5 and would hate to be forced into 29" just because a manufacturer decides it would be better for me.

I don't need a 29", I look ridiculous on a 29", and I don't want a 29" so my emtb choices are quite limited currently.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I think Cube did that by offering the 140 and the 160.
Very similar, other wheels.

In general:
The 140 is 29"
The 160 is 27.5"

You can sometimes find exceptions in the medium and small frames.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles