Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
Is that not a base model?
Here is my 2021 expert in cobalt blue. Anyone ever seen one. I've not . Maybe I'm the only guy who scored one??

PXL_20201206_184207676.jpg

Jline2020

Dec 9, 2020
Boulder
thanks for the reply
I felt that the SLX group set on the bike did it no justice at all. When I rode it the set felt ultra sluggish and a bit weak for an ebike.
Shifting was clunky at best, even after tuning it at the LBS and at home. Purchasing a new set and going through the aches of selling the rest did not outweigh the upgrade to the expert. The expert has amazing brakes and groupset, not to mention the jump in forks. It's just much better bang for buck knowing I would not have been happy with the SLX.

I'm surprised you don't like the SLX groupset. On my 2021 Turbo Levo Comp the shifting is very solid and precise, as good or better than my X01 Eagle on my analog Pivot Mach 5.5. Also, the SLX brakes have been great, expect they were initially fouled from some road grime coming home from a trip to Utah. The squealed like crazy till I cleaned the rotors and sanded the pads. Now, they work great and are much better IMHO than the SRAM Guide RE brakes on last years Turbo Levo Comp. The SRAM Guide RE brakes faded like crazy on me when I rented a 2020 Levo for a test ride. I am biased and tend to prefer Shimano brakes, although SRAM do modulate very well.

Overall I completely dig this bike, I made it up all the climbs at Slickrock in Moab and had enough energy and battery range that I could have ridden it again if the light wasn't fading. I hope you get your bike sorted out.

Last edited:

Jline2020

Dec 9, 2020
Boulder
Has anyone ever played around with the minimum level of assistance to make riding an eMTB feel like riding an analog mountain bike? The factory default level of 35% in Eco still feels much easier than peddling a regular bike. I was thinking of somewhere around 10%, 15%, or 20% assist? I could see using this type of setting when riding with friends on regular bikes who accuse you of “cheating.“. ;)

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
Has anyone ever played around with the minimum level of assistance to make riding an eMTB feel like riding an analog mountain bike? The factory default level of 35% in Eco still feels much easier than peddling a regular bike. I was thinking of somewhere around 10%, 15%, or 20% assist? I could see using this type of setting when riding with friends on regular bikes who accuse you of “cheating.“. ;)
I use 15 when I really want to go super long distance but it does not really feel like a normal bike..it’s not harder..not easier..just feels different lol. I usually will do 20% and to me that gives it just the right amount of power to overcome the weight of the bike. I’m in decent shape too.

I feel like 15% on my first levo was easier than this one though or maybe I just ride too much and my legs never recover!

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Here is my cobalt blue 2021 Turbo Levo Expert. Does ANYONE else have one? Has anyone else even seen one?? Am I the only one who has one??. Also thanks for all the counsel I got on my levo. I listened and OFF went the stem riser. O am keeping my deity 80 mm bars though. ,??????

View attachment 46516
NO I DON'T, BUT I WANTED ONE!! :cautious: In the UK they are unobtainable.... at least I found that.... I am very envious of your lovely bike;
I had an order but it got cancelled due to Specialized supplying only their Concept and Turbo stores. I have not seen a 2021 Levo in the Surrey Hills where I ride; there are plenty of Levo's, but not the 21's
I'll have to carry on with my Lovely LEVO 2019 until I can find another bike to buy but...... I think I 'll wait for the YT Decoy 2021.... but who knows when that will be launched ...

Jline2020

Dec 9, 2020
Boulder
NO I DON'T, BUT I WANTED ONE!! :cautious: In the UK they are unobtainable.... at least I found that.... I am very envious of your lovely bike;
I had an order but it got cancelled due to Specialized supplying only their Concept and Turbo stores. I have not seen a 2021 Levo in the Surrey Hills where I ride; there are plenty of Levo's, but not the 21's
I'll have to carry on with my Lovely LEVO 2019 until I can find another bike to buy but...... I think I 'll wait for the YT Decoy 2021.... but who knows when that will be launched ...
The 2021 Pivot Shuttle was just released today. Looks to be an amazing bike, but very expensive and only offered in an XTR build for the moment. 726 WH battery and Shimano EP8 motor, should be killer!

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
I’d like to get a second battery for mine. Where did you get one and what were they charging?
Vin - got it second hand from a local rider (10 cycles; 500wh) for $600. I saw one at pinkbike for the same price a month or so ago. Be on the lookout as a number of riders are upgrading their 500wh batteries.

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
My 21 comp is in the shop for brake howl. Thought I fixed it with sanding pads and cleaning rotors but nope. Comes back immediately as soon as I point downhill. I’m talking 5-6seconds both front and rear now are howling

bertschb

Aug 30, 2020
Anywhere
My 21 comp is in the shop for brake howl. Thought I fixed it with sanding pads and cleaning rotors but nope. Comes back immediately as soon as I point downhill. I’m talking 5-6seconds both front and rear now are howling
Mine did the same thing. After sanding/cleaning the pads and rotors multiple times, I finally switched to resin pads. I only got to ride my bike once since then and the brakes were finally quiet. It was SOOOOO nice! But, my bike has been in the shop for the last 3 1/2 weeks due to broken spokes so I haven't been able to ride again and see how long the brakes will be quiet. No way I'm going back to metallic pads on this bike.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
I did 4500km on a Giant Trance E2Pro with Shimano BR-MT520 brakes without a single howl or other disturbing sound.
I did 350km on my actual 2021 Turbo Levo Comp with Shimano SLX brakes, which were evenly quiet, but since my last ride they started to howl like mad !!
No idea what triggered that. :cautious:

integrity

Mar 27, 2020
Oslo, no
2) did u know you can fit the control switch INSIDE the SLX Brakes? I too felt the levers were too far away and figured it out.

Dude! No, I didn't, but thanks a lot for the tip! Feel stupid not seeing before that there's a second smaller screw you can loosen to move the dropper remote so there is enough space. Best tip i have gotten all year, thanks!

PXL_20201211_093149707.jpg

On the topic of the SLX brakes here; they have good power but do squeel a lot. But what annoys me the most are the pads rattling and moving. I have tried to bend the little spring thing inside holding the pads apart when not braking, so it preloads more, which improves it a little bit. But I still feel the pads can move alot. Never had this issue with SRAM/Avid. I have also overtightened the center lock to stop the discs movement. But still have a shatter feeling in the front (have also made sure battery is firm inside the frame with some thin foam).

On the bushing issue, they are inside the lowers and they keep the stanchions "tight"; and it is a known issue. I just have a poorly produced fork with more movement than usual i guess. Not what I expect from FOX.

In the end: my analog Commencal meta 29 with RS suspension and SRAM brakes for half the price from last year makes no noise, has no movent nowhere and feels super tight....

Jline2020

Dec 9, 2020
Boulder
Mine did the same thing. After sanding/cleaning the pads and rotors multiple times, I finally switched to resin pads. I only got to ride my bike once since then and the brakes were finally quiet. It was SOOOOO nice! But, my bike has been in the shop for the last 3 1/2 weeks due to broken spokes so I haven't been able to ride again and see how long the brakes will be quiet. No way I'm going back to metallic pads on this bike.
I agree that the metal pads seem to squeal very easily. I asked my LBS about going to resin and they said they would not recommend it due to the braking forces and heat that is generated. Please report back once you get your bike back from the shop and let us know how they are holding up. Does anyone know if finned 4 piston XT brake pads will fit? Maybe they would help with heat management while running resin pads.

Stan 101

Dec 11, 2020
Cambridge
I sent my battery back to the shop I bought the bike from because it stopped working. Both on the charger and bike. It was at 60% when I finished the ride. It will be 3 weeks on Monday since I returned it and still have had nothing back from them. The shop says there aren’t any in the country. I thought Specialized were supposed to be really good, I’m really not happy. The shop just gives me a vague date of maybe, but nothing happens. What are you experiencing with Specialized warranty

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
I sent my battery back to the shop I bought the bike from because it stopped working. Both on the charger and bike. It was at 60% when I finished the ride. It will be 3 weeks on Monday since I returned it and still have had nothing back from them. The shop says there aren’t any in the country. I thought Specialized were supposed to be really good, I’m really not happy. The shop just gives me a vague date of maybe, but nothing happens. What are you experiencing with Specialized warranty
Nothing to do with Specialized warranty imo. It's just a Covid thing. Nothing is made, nothing is available or gets delivered. It's affecting almost anything you try to buy or get a hold of. If you need a part that is in stock, you're in luck. If it's not in stock...
I understand it's a PITA though.

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
Switched my front pads to the metallic TRP’s and noise is gone. I left the shimano rear pads but did clean the rotor. Did a test today about 3.5k descending and they stop squealing after they are heated up. Every run at first they would howl but went away quick, lever got firm and no howl.

Love the power and feel of these SLX brakes vs sram. Even better than my Hightower’s Sram G2 RSC’s. Might throw some xt/xtr rotors on too.

Did a ride today with a lot of turbo. 20 miles 3k feet and had 54% battery left. Pretty awesome range.

Stan 101

Dec 11, 2020
Cambridge
Nothing to do with Specialized warranty imo. It's just a Covid thing. Nothing is made, nothing is available or gets delivered. It's affecting almost anything you try to buy or get a hold of. If you need a part that is in stock, you're in luck. If it's not in stock...
I understand it's a PITA though.

That’s ridiculous. How can a Specialized warranty item not be anything to do with Specialized. I understand that delivery is more complicated given that they can’t be air freighted but COVID has nothing to do with not being able to source a replacement warranty part within 3 weeks

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
That’s ridiculous. How can a Specialized warranty item not be anything to do with Specialized. I understand that delivery is more complicated given that they can’t be air freighted but COVID has nothing to do with not being able to source a replacement warranty part within 3 weeks
Well, 'ridiculous' as it may be, it's still a fact.
It's not only delivery. To deliver something, it has to leave the production line first. Or do you think COVID only has an influence on delivery of goods... ?

rriveroll

Nov 19, 2020
Caracas Venezuela
Dude! No, I didn't, but thanks a lot for the tip! Feel stupid not seeing before that there's a second smaller screw you can loosen to move the dropper remote so there is enough space. Best tip i have gotten all year, thanks!

View attachment 46845

On the topic of the SLX brakes here; they have good power but do squeel a lot. But what annoys me the most are the pads rattling and moving. I have tried to bend the little spring thing inside holding the pads apart when not braking, so it preloads more, which improves it a little bit. But I still feel the pads can move alot. Never had this issue with SRAM/Avid. I have also overtightened the center lock to stop the discs movement. But still have a shatter feeling in the front (have also made sure battery is firm inside the frame with some thin foam).

On the bushing issue, they are inside the lowers and they keep the stanchions "tight"; and it is a known issue. I just have a poorly produced fork with more movement than usual i guess. Not what I expect from FOX.

In the end: my analog Commencal meta 29 with RS suspension and SRAM brakes for half the price from last year makes no noise, has no movent nowhere and feels super tight....

My Specialized centerlock magnet nut was bottoming out on the Shimano Hub so it wouldn't tighten the disc properly. Seems like there are more threads than the standard Shimano Nut on the Specialized Magent Nut. I just sanded it down against a flat surface with sanding paper.

My rear brake still howls but at least the vibration is down 90%, but I still think there is another problem with the nut (see bellow)

IMG_20201122_091615.jpg

If you look at this picture you can see the magnet actually protrudes the flat surface where the Nut tightens the disk. I wonder if this uneven tightening of the disc is what's causing the vibration or noise. You can even see the marks from the disk on it and on the flange

Im gonna try Dremel it down to see if it helps.

IMG_20201122_091551.jpg

IMG_20201122_091325.jpg

IMG_20201122_091316.jpg

Last edited:

Wheels

Dec 15, 2020
Astoria
Greeting everyone, first post here on the forum. I Picked up a turbo levo comp November 1st (a birthday gift to myself) and have been having a blast! Its mostly stock, but i did convert it to tubliss.I've been riding solo mostly in the dark on single track, i have a 4200L gemini bike light and a oxbow voyager helmet light, so ive got plenty of light. Im happy with most everything so far. My one issue is the brake howl...This seems to be a common topic. Im interested in changing pads, would anybody share a link to pads they have been happy with, or can recommend?

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
Greeting everyone, first post here on the forum. I Picked up a turbo levo comp November 1st (a birthday gift to myself) and have been having a blast! Its mostly stock, but i did convert it to tubliss.I've been riding solo mostly in the dark on single track, i have a 4200L gemini bike light and a oxbow voyager helmet light, so ive got plenty of light. Im happy with most everything so far. My one issue is the brake howl...This seems to be a common topic. Im interested in changing pads, would anybody share a link to pads they have been happy with, or can recommend?
Did you do the proper break in period on the brakes??

bertschb

Aug 30, 2020
Anywhere
Im interested in changing pads, would anybody share a link to pads they have been happy with, or can recommend?
I switched to the Shimano D03S resin pads. They are hard to find. I ended up buying 3 sets from a couple different places over the last month.
Four rides so far and they are silent. I broke these pads in just like I did the OEM metal pads but my metal pads were horribly loud.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
I was anaware there was a proper break in process, so that may be the issue, ill look it to it.
@bertschb thanks for the info,
It could be, but I did bed the brakes in properly and they were fine for about 450 km.
Then suddenly (it was a very wet/muddy session) the brakes started trumpetting.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
I switched to the Shimano D03S resin pads. They are hard to find. I ended up buying 3 sets from a couple different places over the last month.
Four rides so far and they are silent. I broke these pads in just like I did the OEM metal pads but my metal pads were horribly loud.
Yeah I have a 20-21 Turbo 2 expert My brakes do squeak from time to time but I'm not an overly high level of rider
It could be, but I did bed the brakes in properly and they were fine for about 450 km.
Then suddenly (it was a very wet/muddy session) the brakes started trumpetting.
Just got my bike back Did the custom bike wrap at my local bike shop didn't even know it existed I wish I had done it when I first got the bike looks great I highly recommend it

PXL_20201212_174423997.MP.jpg

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
I love that blue colour.

I am also unimpressed by the SLX shifting and brakes. The shifting seems a bit slow compared to other 11sp and 12sp drive trains I've tried, and the brakes whilst powerful, make a bit of noise and suffer from the ol' inconsistent bite point.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles