Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo Comp - bike vibration is just too much

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
So i bought a brand new 2021 Turbo Levo Comp today and the vibration is just too much for me.

The bike is not defective, i think combination of the increased speed and aluminum frame just makes this a very vibration friendly bike.

I'm coming from a non suspension steel bike.

I rode 24 miles and 3 hours today. Im not sure that that the bike store would let me exchange it for a carbon model. If this ends up being possible, will the carbon model vibrate way less? I did in fact test drive a carbon model but on a paved street it feels identical to the aluminum model.

If this is not possible, my plan is to get a carbon handle bar, ergon grips, and a brooks saddle with springs. Do you think this will help at all?

Is there anything else I can do?

Ivabign

May 2, 2020
LA
Did the shop help you setup the suspension and put the correct amount of air in the tires? And, are you riding with the suspension locked, or unlocked? I just recently bought a 2021 Levo Comp and I only have a couple of rides and around 25 miles on it, but I wouldn't say the ride is harsh at all.

So i bought a brand new 2021 Turbo Levo Comp today and the vibration is just too much for me.

The bike is not defective, i think combination of the increased speed and aluminum frame just makes this a very vibration friendly bike.

I rode 24 miles and 3 hours today. Im not sure that that the bike store would let me exchange it for a carbon model. If this ends up being possible, will the carbon model vibrate way less? I did in fact test drive a carbon model but on a paved street it feels identical to the aluminum model.

If this is not possible, my plan is to get a carbon handle bar, ergon grips, and a brooks saddle with springs. Do you think this will help at all?

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
Did the shop help you setup the suspension and put the correct amount of air in the tires? And, are you riding with the suspension locked, or unlocked? I just recently bought a 2021 Levo Comp and I only have a couple of rides and around 25 miles on it, but I wouldn't say the ride is harsh at all.

Yes to all of those. The suspension is on the softest setting

CheaterMcCheat

Jun 20, 2020
California
Sounds like something is wrong and you should take it back to the bike shop and see if they can work it out / let you demo a diff bike on the trail. I've put over 2k miles on mine and I don't think I ever had a ride where I even thought about vibrations coming through the bike/bars/seat. I have several friends with Levos too and cannot recall anyone saying this.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Could you also give an idea of the frequency and sound of the vibrations? I find mine smoother than my old Stumpjumper, probably due to a fatter tyre up front and a better fork. I'm also used to the rumble of MTB tyres on a road.

I replaced my grips with Specialized Contour XCs as my hands tended to get a bit numb after about half an hour of commuting where my hands stay in the same position the whole time. Off-road, it's no problem as I'm moving around a lot more.

Putting a suspension saddle on a fully sounds a bit OTT*, though.
(*better than OTB!)

Last edited:

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
The first 12 miles was up a mountain. The second 12 miles was a dirt road. Average speed up the mountain was about 5 miles an hour. Average speed in the dirt road was 13.

I didn't notice the vibration until during the dirt portion road now that I'm thinking about it.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
try the tires on 20PSI tubeless.

Speccy tires are a not brilliant - It makes me laugh when I see £20 tires on an £9000 bike!

Try some high quality rubber from Schwalbe

my bike is alloy and I use 2.9 MM ( 17PSI) and 2'6 Eddies (23PSI) and they are fine

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You need a second opinion, of the hands on variety. Either the bike shop or any other rider who's got a Speccy Levo.

But tyre pressure and tyres will make a massive difference.

I have never felt the sort of vibration you describe on paved roads on anything other than a narrow-tyred road bike.

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
try the tires on 20PSI tubeless.

Speccy tires are a not brilliant - It makes me laugh when I see £20 tires on an £9000 bike!

Try some high quality rubber from Schwalbe

my bike is alloy and I use 2.9 MM ( 17PSI) and 2'6 Eddies (23PSI) and they are fine
Wow... Are those tires really that cheap? Im not a biker,this is my first bike in a long time and I assumed at such a high price point the components would be high.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Take it to the bike shop, explain the issue, and ask them to set the bike up for you. I am thinking it is a set up issue of the suspension.

It sounds like the suspension is not working on the dirt road.

Have you made sure the correct pressure in the suspension for your weight ? Maybe slightly less than recommended as it does not sound like your an advanced rider who needs higher pressure. Apologies if I am wrong.

Do you have low speed or high speed compression on your suspension ? Reduce both.

What is your rebound set at ? Far too much = pogo stick. Far too little = no rebound and so no suspension along regularly bumpy road. You need to find the right amount.

Also, reduce the tyre pressure and see what happens.

Carbon handlebar, may help but may make it worse. Depends on which one. I recommend this handlebar for ebikes. Heavier than carbon but on an ebike who cares about a few grams.

A different saddle should not be required. suspension set up should remove all vibration from there.

Last edited:

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
I put on ergon gp5 grip and my old brooks suspension saddle and it seemed like it was much better

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
You guys(gals) have all been on alu/carbon full squish bikes for too long :) A quality steel frame, even with no suspension, has a VERY different feel. I lusted after high-end steel frames for quite some time in the 90's. I think OP is talking about something that setup alone won't fix.

Im not sure that that the bike store would let me exchange it for a carbon model. If this ends up being possible, will the carbon model vibrate way less? I did in fact test drive a carbon model but on a paved street it feels identical to the aluminum model.

Carbon bikes, especially modern full suspension bikes, are stiffer than aluminum so I don't think it will help your situation. They can have slightly more "dead" feel but really not by much. One thing to consider as well, aluminum bikes tend to be noisier, pingy-er. That could be messing with your perception.

Definitely do not get carbon bars. Or at least be very careful which ones you get. Many will be stiffer. Vibrocore bars sound like they'd be right up your alley.

What do you weigh? If you're on the lighter side coil suspension may help too. I mean, I recommend everyone get a coil on the Levo rear no matter what, but a coil fork for the front can cut down on chatter a lot as well.

Last edited:

Ktmdriver

Aug 6, 2020
SoCal
I have the same bike, large ‘21 Comp. I thought there was an inordinate amount of vibration at first. I set the sag and changed the suspension setups, but I still felt the vibration. This vibration was only felt over very rocky single track using the Butcher tires with tubes at 30 psi. I then switched to 2.6 Michelin E-Wilds and went tubeless at 25 psi. This changed the entire feel of the bike, read: no more vibration. In fact I cancelled my Renthal carbon bars order since the bike is so much better with no more vibration.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
This is not right. I have a 2019 levo and it is the most plush mountainbike I have ever owned.
(And I'm the princess in "the princess and the pea")

Maybe I'm cheating - I have a coil on the rear and a fox 38+secus on the front. But even when I had the rockshox revelation on the front, it was very plush.

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
This is not right. I have a 2019 levo and it is the most plush mountainbike I have ever owned.
(And I'm the princess in "the princess and the pea")

Maybe I'm cheating - I have a coil on the rear and a fox 38+secus on the front. But even when I had the rockshox revelation on the front, it was very plush.
What does it mean people say they have a coil?

Does that mean the remove the factory gas/oil shock and replace it with a spring? Do you have a photo of this "coil"?

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
What does it mean people say they have a coil?

Does that mean the remove the factory gas/oil shock and replace it with a spring? Do you have a photo of this "coil"?

2019-06-30 13.24.49.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Generally, an air shock is far easier to setup correctly. You can effectively adjust the "spring" by changing the air pressure. With a coil shock you have to buy the correct coil for your weight/riding requirements. What your describing sounds more like the front suspension just needs setting up correctly for you..... and then probably the rear too, but I'd start with the front. You don't hear every single hard tail rider complaining that there's too much vibration.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa

I have a 2021 turbo levo carbon expert and I love it. Smooth as glass. Just rode it 20 miles on the street what I did for ARM PUMP, not vibration was get the deity supercush grips. There are even softer grips than those but I'd start with the grips and tell your bike shop too. I'm sure they have the supercush too I have had no vibration at all. Then again I'm used to riding dirt bikes.

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
That bike should not vibrate at all. My 2021 expert glides like butter

Well yes, thats the thing. I wonder if thats the case because your frame is carbon. Mine is aluminium. I only have the regular comp.

I went back on the dirt road and it is very rough, washboard style, with lots of little holes in it. I wonder if thats the reason and whether anything would help with such a road.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
Well yes, thats the thing. I wonder if thats the case because your frame is carbon. Mine is aluminium. I only have the regular comp.

I went back on the dirt road and it is very rough, washboard style, with lots of little holes in it. I wonder if thats the reason and whether anything would help with such a road.
My bike is all alloy except for the front forks

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
My bike is all alloy except for the front forks
How else they don't think a carbon frame would make much of a difference in might even be more stiff more people on this shed know more than me See if they agree. I know they make flex bars for my dirt bike not sure they make them for a mountain bike but my guess would be yes deity super cush grips flex handlebars would be my recommendation

ZygZag

Aug 5, 2020
California
I have the same issue on my Turbo Levo Comp but it's something I can live with. I noticed right away when I got the e-bike because my previous non-ebike had a carbon frame. . I lowered the tire pressure to 20lbs, changed the sags to 30% with no change. I attribute the vibration to the frame. It's really not vibration, but stiffness in the frame. It's only noticeable on easy flat trails. When you are going down or up bumpy or rocky trails (which is most of the time) you will not notice anything because the bike is bouncing up and down over the obstacles.

johnscioscia

Sep 14, 2020
Tampa
I have the same issue on my Turbo Levo Comp but it's something I can live with. I noticed right away when I got the e-bike because my previous non-ebike had a carbon frame. . I lowered the tire pressure to 20lbs, changed the sags to 30% with no change. I attribute the vibration to the frame. It's really not vibration, but stiffness in the frame. It's only noticeable on easy flat trails. When you are going down or up bumpy or rocky trails (which is most of the time) you will not notice anything because the bike is bouncing up and down over the obstacles.
Yah, I just don't understand your vibration thing because mine is so smooth perhaps is coming from the dirt bike which has a lot of vibration?? But to me it's zero vibration. I do have the expert I can't believe carbon from fork I have could make that much of a difference could it from the comp?:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles