How much time is ridden in noisy Turbo mode? And how much does it bother you?

TurboedMarin

Oct 24, 2018
California
Howdy Forum Peeps,

I’ve recently ordered a 2019 Turbo Levo and have been anxiously awaiting for the arrival of what will be my first e-bike. I’ve been looking at picking up an e-bike for several years now but was never that jazzed about the bikes I was able to ride. My biggest concerns had been the heavy weight, the way the motor engaged, and the overall look and feel of the bike.

Along comes the 2019 Turbo Levo and I go to my LBS to give it a ride. I’m definitely impressed as the test ride on a flat paved bike path is impressively quiet in all three modes, the bike seems decently nimble, the motor engages naturally, and the appearance of the bike doesn’t scream out “E-BIKE”. Regarding the last point, perhaps it’s just my ego getting in the way, but it’s important that I feel like I’m riding a non-motorized bike even if I’m not and if other riders don’t notice I’m on an e-bike that would be great too.

So now I sit waiting for the bike to arrive obsessively reading all these forum posts talking about noisy motors and leaf/guck-attracting motor enclosures. It makes me wonder if it’s worth waiting for the second year of production on this new model so that Specialized can make a few tweaks to get this otherwise well-designed bike dialed-in. But I’m really anxious to start riding again. I live in a hilly area and my current fitness level is just flabby enough to make riding my analog mountain bike too much of a chore.

So my real question is in regards to the motor noise as to me this is the real make-or-break issue. For those of you that have spent some time riding the 2019 edition, is the bike sufficiently quiet in eco and trail modes to leave you happy with the rider experience? Is the unacceptable (or hard-to-accept) noise limited to riding in Turbo mode going over steep terrain? And is this steep turbo riding only done during those occasional times when the rider is tired and going over tough terrain and therefore grateful enough to have the motor support that you’re willing to put up with the extra motor noise?

If it helps, I live and ride in Marin county in California (birthplace of mountain biking) and also ride up in the Lake Tahoe region which is also fertile ground for kick-ass riding. However I’m not personally a super aggressive technical rider. I ride a combination of fire roads and single track probably more of the former but I do see a fair share of rocky and twisty trails that get the heart and adrenaline pumping.

Thanks for reading my post. I look forward to reading people’s opinions on their rider experience, especially how much and how often they are bothered by the motor noise. This will help me determine if I should cancel my order to wait for a hopefully improved 2020 model or to keep waiting for a future bike to finally be the one that I’ve been dreaming of.

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
It really isn't an issue. It's an ebike it will make noise of some description but I have been amazed at how quiet mine is in all modes. Don't miss out on a whole year of riding one of these excellent bikes because of what you are reading.

No guarantee that 2020 will have a motor that is any quieter any way.

Buy the bike and ride it, pretty confident you will love it. I do.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
.... I have been amazed at how quiet mine is in all modes. Don't miss out on a whole year of riding one of these excellent bikes because of what you are reading....
Yes I can confirm that. Just putt my first 5km to bed in the breaks and the motor is virtually silent in every mode, when going on the flat-asfalt.
Didn't do any serious climbing yet, but did small steep section in Turbo and the motor was way more quiet than I expected. And I'm running XC tires, dont see how you would here any sound from the motor with stock 2.6 tires or riding on a trail,. Of Course, on climbs and Turbo mode, sound have to be present, but I like it. It is not annoying at all.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
It's whisper quiet in eco. I don't really use the other two modes. But I've tried it and it's still quieter than all other bikes I've tried.

Colin228

Nov 16, 2018
Brisbane
I'm sorry but I don't agree, whisper quiet and my 2019 Levo are not used in the same sentence. People look round as I pedal by. I've taken to coasting past people and other bikes as much as possible. If its like mine you would rather drive or turn off the power which kinda defeats the object :(

I also have a Bosch powered Cube. Its not silent but no comparison to the racket the Levo makes. Perhaps Brose should stick to wiper motors?

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I'm sorry but I don't agree, whisper quiet and my 2019 Levo are not used in the same sentence. People look round as I pedal by. I've taken to coasting past people and other bikes as much as possible. If its like mine you would rather drive or turn off the power which kinda defeats the object :(

Hi Colin, welcome to the forum - see you've just joined. Sorry to hear that your motor is noisier than expected - suggest you head over to the thread on motor noise and see in particular post 38 and 109 where we explain that some motors are indeed affected by a noise issue. There's no safety implication if it does turn out that your motor is affected, you can keep riding in the meantime but we do encourage you to make contact with your retailer and report this to them so that they can run tests for you.

Believe you'd also find posts 154 and 175 helpful as they are rider posted comparison videos of normal vs noisy motors. Ultimately eBikes do make some noise and this is an area where rider perception plays a significant role, however your understanding of the noise other manufacturers' motors make suggests your bike may have a problem. Please check out the posts above, then speak to your retailer if you believe your bike is affected.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles