Levo SL Gen 1 sl motor noise level does it bother you ?

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Yes, the noise of the SL motor bothers me but I think it's still the best ebike on the market for me. I have not ridden the Orbea Rise which would be in the same category of ebikes that I am interested in. The great things that will be coming in the future are quieter, lighter, and more powerful ebikes.
True

Jason1

Jul 18, 2019
UK
When I first rode my sl I thought the noise would be really annoying but after a few rides it doesn’t bother me as much and I now I don’t notice it most of the time.

Jason

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Again, bears repeating. Actual decibel between SL and regular levo is the same. The SL is at a higher frequency and that bothers some people more - and from the looks of it bothers most people more. For me personally, I found the regular levo to be noisier and don't notice the SL as much. I happen to be a serious amateur musician so maybe the SL sounds like music to me. LOL :)

And I've passed multiple people by on climbs ( including the earlier anecdote I posted above ) and nobody seems to notice that it's an e-bike. Maybe the sound of my breathing is heavier. :)
Ill test and report back, but no way is it the same “loudness” imo.

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
I’m guessing the next iteration of the SL will have maybe some improved battery life, but I bet the motor will be quieter. Not sure why the straight cut gears, but I’m sure there’s a reason, hopefully not just because they are cheaper to manufacture.
Certainly not cheaper, but lighter, yes!

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
Yeah. It does bother me. I didn't think it would but something about the sound really stands out. I don't notice it too much when riding with other rides, but riding in a quiet forest it kind of takes away from the experience. The LEVO on the other hand I never notice at all.

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
Ideally, I'd like a completely silent bike, including a silent rear hub. But I can live with the sound it makes. Plus I ride unassisted on anything but steep climbs anyway.

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
It doesn't bother me.

I don't feel like it's loud, but the whine is a bit high-pitched. My only other experience on an ebike is riding a Bosch and the Bosch was slightly louder, but also a lower, more mechanical pitch with less whine.

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
Same motor as in the Turbo Creo and I have not come to like the whine from either one of them. I try to keep the gear selection in the higher range which helps quiet it down somewhat.

j1e

Jan 24, 2021
Michigan, USA
Initially I found it a bit loud, but it seems like it might be giving deer and squirrels an early warning as encounters have been going better even at higher speeds - which is a tradeoff I would happily take.

Donga

Feb 8, 2020
Hartbeespoort, South Africa
My SL noisiest in eco mode - cadence over 90 it turns into a scream! Different pitch in trail and turbo, still with 90 cadence. Do I have to wait until it eats its gears? My FF Levo is a whisper by comparison!
Anyone had a SL motor changed in warranty by excessive noise?

Gaberao

Aug 2, 2021
Craven arms
I haven’t had to ask anyone to let me pass since getting the SL as they can hear me coming from far away, which is a bonus.
All I hear is a formula 1 car going through the gears.

I love it
I love my 2020 f1 levo sl as well. The noise is part of the experience for me.

Reactions: CjP

SusXT

Nov 3, 2022
Belgium
Too much noise for a €7000-bike. This is the main reason why I'm thinking of selling the bike. But it has advantages.... It goes faster as 25km/h, has a nice color, a nice radius and it's payed already :D

Donga

Feb 8, 2020
Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Too much noise for a €7000-bike. This is the main reason why I'm thinking of selling the bike. But it has advantages.... It goes faster as 25km/h, has a nice color, a nice radius and it's payed already :D
My first SL motor (which was VERY noisy) died after 8 000kms (bearing failure) - new motor is much quieter - probably closer to perfect gear meshing - straight cut gears (stronger than quieter helical gears) need careful setup, other wise whine loudly! Always have, and always will, love my SL!!

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
went from levo to SL, no it doesnt bother me at all, 2.5 years later, i just sold it this week. Getting a Fuel EXE..which is completely silent if thats what you are looking for

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles