2021 Santa Cruz Bullit

markjl

Jan 7, 2020
Rio Verde, AZ
Has anyone purchased the newer Heckler MX with the EP8 motor? Just wondered if that would make a difference on the power complaints some of the first gen Heckler's mentioned. Would consider Bullit, but very hard to find as others have said.

Ginners

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
New tyres, think it looks sick ?? Let you know how it effects the range after a ride out tomorrow.

5E0DD733-3410-46A9-B484-64C3AF7E6C30.jpeg

Marzio

Apr 1, 2021
Switzerland
Had another great ride today on the Bullit, with a not so great experience.

Did a rather small jump, but overshooted it abit which resulted in a semi hard front wheel landing, nothing the fox 38s didn't turn into butter, but it resulted in the freaking battery dropping out of the frame with full force.

Huge disaster, so trailside cleaned it. Popped back in and everything worked.
Did another 15km afterwards "mindful of harsh landings".

Seems like only the battery cover really took any damage.

Going to get in touch with SC Monday.

Hopefully that's a one off, but probably going to do a hotfix(safetyband) solution untill someone has had a look at it.

View attachment 48918

View attachment 48919
Hi Vertas, exactly the same happened to me too, how did you solve the issue?
I'm a bit concerned that can happen again, especially in a bike park with others riders behind you!

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
Hi Vertas, exactly the same happened to me too, how did you solve the issue?
I'm a bit concerned that can happen again, especially in a bike park with others riders behind you!
I tighten the mount down some, but maybe I could make a small video, if you like. It was fairly simple, only problem is you don't really know how far down you can go with it, and if you go to far down, I don't think you can ever get the battery out again ?

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
I just sent email to Santa Cruz so that they would publish easy and clear instructions how to adjust and tighten battery mounts on the Bullit. I hope they do this before the bike park season starts and someone gets injured...
Did you get any response? I still haven't received jackshit, tbh I'm very disappointed with Santa Cruz support side. I know it's crazy times, but I've been riding for months with a broken cover :/
Not exactly great PR for a premium brand like SC.

Marzio

Apr 1, 2021
Switzerland
this is the answer I got a few days ago:
Hello
Just get your warranty claim and will send you a new cover for sure.
To be sure that this not happen anymore, please put the battery lock more narrow.
Maybe it`s better to call:)

emanc

Mar 28, 2021
UK
For those of you that have had a battery drop. It’s because your dealer hasn’t set the bike up properly. There is a Shimano specific tool for setting the correct distance between the mounts. When the mounts are correctly set the battery shouldn’t drop. Take you bikes back to your dealers and ask them to resolve the issue, replace the battery and cover if damaged. Here’s the tool...

emanc

Mar 28, 2021
UK
SC also ship battery covers internationally, although not to the UK.

Jungle in the UK are expecting a shipment of covers in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019
UK
For those of you that have had a battery drop. It’s because your dealer hasn’t set the bike up properly. There is a Shimano specific tool for setting the correct distance between the mounts. When the mounts are correctly set the battery shouldn’t drop. Take you bikes back to your dealers and ask them to resolve the issue, replace the battery and cover if damaged. Here’s the tool...

Fifty six feckin quid for a piece of injection moulded plastic that cost a couple of quid to produce!?

Marzio

Apr 1, 2021
Switzerland

Thanks emanc, very useful information.
So I won't be able to set the bike properly by myself and without the tool? my dealer is 4 hours far from my home...

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Did you get any response? I still haven't received jackshit, tbh I'm very disappointed with Santa Cruz support side. I know it's crazy times, but I've been riding for months with a broken cover :/
Not exactly great PR for a premium brand like SC.

Their reply:
Our network of dealers should have the documentation for how to check and properly set up the battery mounts to ensure the batteries do not fall out of the frame. I would recommend taking it to a local dealer to have them double check that your bike is set up correctly.

Apparently the documentation thay they talk about is the one that is found above ^

Last edited:

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
View attachment 56206
Swapped out the Assegai for the Minion Dhf Exo+ & i can confirm the bike rolls much better. Did a similar ride in the peaks again yesterday and got back to the car with 2 bars of battery instead of running out with 2miles to go.
Im not saying its all down to the tyre but there was a noticable difference, and I didn’t feel i lost any grip on the steep rocky rooty stuff.
Good feedback, thanks. Have you changed the rear?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Here is a guide for the battery setup ;)
Slightly off topic, but still about fitting batteries. Anybody know whether the Bullit battery cover fits into any E8036 battery? In other words, does the battery have special holes to fix cover.
I ask because Brink (U.K.) just told me, “Batteries and covers out of stock at SC. So, SC have decided to make the batteries first with late June availability and will then make the covers”.
Just seemed strange to me — not entirely logical.
Also, anybody know of a source for new unused Bullit batteries+cover in U.K.?
Ta!

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Slightly off topic, but still about fitting batteries. Anybody know whether the Bullit battery cover fits into any E8036 battery? In other words, does the battery have special holes to fix cover.
I ask because Brink (U.K.) just told me, “Batteries and covers out of stock at SC. So, SC have decided to make the batteries first with late June availability and will then make the covers”.
Just seemed strange to me — not entirely logical.
Also, anybody know of a source for new unused Bullit batteries+cover in U.K.?
Ta!
You need to contact Jungle products they’re the uk importer for Santa Cruz

Oct 9, 2020
LA
Any word on whether Santa Cruz will sell an aluminum version of the Bullitt? Hard to justify 1.5k+ more for a 50+ pound bike. I owned a carbon heckler and will only own alu e-bikes from now on. Analog bikes are a different story.

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Any word on whether Santa Cruz will sell an aluminum version of the Bullitt? Hard to justify 1.5k+ more for a 50+ pound bike. I owned a carbon heckler and will only own alu e-bikes from now on. Analog bikes are a different story.

I'm a big fan of ally frames, so would ask why you've come to the conclusion that the Heckler, or any other carbon e-mtb, isn't for you? I test rode the Heckler, which showed I needed something a bit burlier, and would love an ally Bullit, but with not even a teaser of one being made, have opted for carbon.

jmd_mtb

Apr 7, 2021
UK
E: Gone!

Anyone still looking around for a medium, lavender (XT build) check the sale section!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020
LA
I'm a big fan of ally frames, so would ask why you've come to the conclusion that the Heckler, or any other carbon e-mtb, isn't for you? I test rode the Heckler, which showed I needed something a bit burlier, and would love an ally Bullit, but with not even a teaser of one being made, have opted for carbon.

I really enjoyed the Heckler and would have kept it if it was MX and had a bigger battery. The concern with carbon is that I beat on my bikes and the weight of an ebike causes it to hit objects harder when I eventually go down. A light analog bike is much easier to safely ditch. Plus I cant justify the price difference. My Heckler got beat up way quicker than any other bike ive owned.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles