2021 Santa Cruz Bullit

RSVB4

Apr 27, 2020
Ca
I’d strongly advise against the E7000 on such a premium bike like the Bullit.

it’s not just the outright power, the motor software is so much less refined than the EP8 and E8000.

For example starting on a steep incline is hard. The motor doesn’t engage right away and I really found it difficult to get the power down.

It’s also more digital / on off feeling versus natural feeling on the EP8.

It’s a real budget motor and it shows compared to the latest offerings. It’s actually a shame Shimano discontinued the E8000 as brands are forced to use the E7000 as their entry level / budget options.
Wow thanks Rob! Say no more! Appreciate the insight.

Ginners

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Wait for the EP8 definitely!! When you want to sell it in a couple of years you won’t be able to give it away with an e7000 motor...
When your spending all that money you should wait and get exactly what you want and have no regrets.
The e7000 is pants in comparison to ep8.

Ricky101uk

Jan 5, 2020
Southampton
New bike day tomorrow, the boys at brink have done amazing job on this build for me.

DD3E84F0-963E-45DB-AC24-D67B95296AE5.jpeg

6C07302C-3C39-4947-9400-FEFE73E03F40.jpeg

D457CA52-B32B-4383-8BE8-DD6057BC3222.jpeg

Ginners

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Cleaned up the cables nicely with the wireless ??
can you show us pics of the bars with the shifters etc on?
Also considering upgrading to wireless dropper, what size is yours

Ricky101uk

Jan 5, 2020
Southampton
Cleaned up the cables nicely with the wireless ??
can you show us pics of the bars with the shifters etc on?
Also considering upgrading to wireless dropper, what size is yours

170 dropper bike is a medium (possible might be a little to long will swap it for a 160 if that’s the case) , i will collecting it tomorrow, so will post some more photos over the weekend

OldBoyNetwork

Jan 29, 2021
UK
Is anyone running 180mm forks? I have a Bullit S (wanted the XT but I’d have had to wait 9months) and I’m not impressed with the 38s at all. I’ve ordered Zeb ultimates in 180 (couldn’t get 170s at the right price) I can order an air shaft but wondered what people thought of leaving at 180?

0E511513-8521-44D2-AA12-4B1446142A65.jpeg

Ginners

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Is anyone running 180mm forks? I have a Bullit S (wanted the XT but I’d have had to wait 9months) and I’m not impressed with the 38s at all. I’ve ordered Zeb ultimates in 180 (couldn’t get 170s at the right price) I can order an air shaft but wondered what people thought of leaving at 180?

View attachment 51574
Have to say my 38’s feel amazing! Try softening them up a bit. I’m 14st and run 100psi . Feels buttery smooth

OldBoyNetwork

Jan 29, 2021
UK
Have to say my 38’s feel amazing! Try softening them up a bit. I’m 14st and run 100psi . Feels buttery smooth
have you got the performance versions? mine sit too much into their travel making it feel like the head angle is steeper than it is. I'm also 14st and have them at 106psi with 4 tokens

Ricky101uk

Jan 5, 2020
Southampton
Thank you for you kind words Guys,

Still few bits I will probably change later on as I struggled with few parts due to stock issues.

Brink has been amazing from start to finish on this build as it was all done with emails and phone calls due to the current COVID situation. I was a bit nervous at first as I’ve only really used Berkshire cycles in the past for all my builds and bikes, just really fancied a change away from specialized due to quality issues.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I am also about to pull the trigger, I am curious on sizing. I have a 2017 Levo medium that I can’t ride as it feels way to small. I have been on my current 2019 Levo for 2 years it’s size large and is great I like the reach. I see the medium SC is a bit shorter in the reach and the large is just a little bigger, I am unsure which to go for. Covid kind of getting in the way of testing but I can get a large in bronze immediately.

Ricky101uk

Jan 5, 2020
Southampton
I am also about to pull the trigger, I am curious on sizing. I have a 2017 Levo medium that I can’t ride as it feels way to small. I have been on my current 2019 Levo for 2 years it’s size large and is great I like the reach. I see the medium SC is a bit shorter in the reach and the large is just a little bigger, I am unsure which to go for. Covid kind of getting in the way of testing but I can get a large in bronze immediately.

I’m sure the large will be perfect for you

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I’d strongly advise against the E7000 on such a premium bike like the Bullit.

it’s not just the outright power, the motor software is so much less refined than the EP8 and E8000.

For example starting on a steep incline is hard. The motor doesn’t engage right away and I really found it difficult to get the power down.

It’s also more digital / on off feeling versus natural feeling on the EP8.

It’s a real budget motor and it shows compared to the latest offerings. It’s actually a shame Shimano discontinued the E8000 as brands are forced to use the E7000 as their entry level / budget options.

I still cant believe they had the balls to put a E7000 in a bike that costs that much for even the base model, I've said it before but it almost feels like a slap in the face. Why not just spec lower end parts that a potential buyer can upgrade and save cost that way.

Last edited:

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
Got a second battery. Carry’s well in a USWE 15L airborne with water bladder and gear. One positive compared to the Specialized models: relatively convenient battery size.

Made a 40mi 4000ft ride today. 30% gnarly (black), 50% blues; remainder tarmac transfers.

1st battery: 70% boost 21 miles, 0% remaining.
2nd battery: 90% boost 20 miles, 40% remaining.

Didn’t track the elevation total on each.

With two batteries, 50 mile 5k’ rides are possible, my guess is boost at no more than 40% of the ride (I.e. big climbs).

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
@Jpzeroday Just for the reference, what is your weight?

185#, 200# fully kitted for long rides.

I also switched front tire to Assegai MaxxTerra EXO+ (front DD MaxxGrip) and saw a gain with reduced rolling resistance. I am building a 35mm ID wheels set and will be going to 2.6 DHR2 EXO+ front and rear with cushcore. Ran this same setup on my Kenevo and gained a ton of cornering and off camber grip and small bump compliance (which I find key for long rides). I don’t find I’m able to ride a stiff/jarring bike very far! Btw, never a single flat with that setup running the tracks with the sharpest, gnarliest, highest frequency rockiness you can find.

Last edited:

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
Thanks for the info.

I ride a Levo at the moment (well, I will be when they replace the 2nd motor which failed recently) and I'm thinking about switching to the Bullit. However, from what I read here, I get an impression that the Bullit with EP8 and a 630wh battery has smaller range than my Levo with a 500wh battery. I'm curious what will people report when it gets warmer.

Is there any ex-Levo, current Bullit owner who could compare range of these bikes?

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
Thanks for the info.

I ride a Levo at the moment (well, I will be when they replace the 2nd motor which failed recently) and I'm thinking about switching to the Bullit. However, from what I read here, I get an impression that the Bullit with EP8 and a 630wh battery has smaller range than my Levo with a 500wh battery. I'm curious what will people report when it gets warmer.

Is there any ex-Levo, current Bullit owner who could compare range of these bikes?
I might demo a Bullit and I will let you know. Might be a few weeks though. Depending on availability.

Currently ride a levo with 700wh battery..it’s going to be hard to beat the range. I did 13 miles and 2k feet set at 10% power and only burned 15%.

Mtb247

Apr 12, 2020
Thanks for the info.

I'm also interested in this. I can get about 2 hours of riding on my Levo with a 500wh battery. I'm 150lbs.

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
Still loving my Bullit, anyone who can tell me how many tokens is in the rear? Haven't been able to find it online, probably just me :D
Got the Deluxe ultimate air

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
I still cant believe they had the balls to put a E7000 in a bike that costs that much for even the base model

I think this comes down to Shimano discontinuing E8000 and putting the E7000 forward as their budget model. It's not just Santa Cruz, many other manufacturers put E7000 into their cheap models. But obviously bad for the buyer since you cannot really upgrade the motor and electronics, unlike others parts in the bike.

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Anyone put 2021 Fox Float X2 air or 2021 Fox DHX2 coil rear shock in this bike? Just thinking how they would work on this bike compared to the Santa Cruz factory tuned Rock Shox shocks...

Last edited:

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I think this comes down to Shimano discontinuing E8000 and putting the E7000 forward as their budget model. It's not just Santa Cruz, many other manufacturers put E7000 into their cheap models. But obviously bad for the buyer since you cannot really upgrade the motor and electronics, unlike others parts in the bike.

sorry but what other bike that costs $7500usd comes with an Shimano E7000 motor?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles