2021 cube reaction hybrid pro

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
The 2021 version is available for pre order.
It’s now a fully integrated battery.
Choice of either 500 or 625wh
Typical prices are £2300 for 500wh
£2500 for 625wh
777C0E53-2392-4128-A474-A13150D0B18B.jpeg

Happy Jack

Aug 23, 2020
UK
I have the Reaction Pro 625. Great bike. The forks are the weak point just as I was told but they aren't too bad. Battery life is very good. Mine isn't upgraded and I am not sure I will bother as there is plenty of power for me. Build quality seems pretty good. Rides and handles very well for a big lump of bike. Rides well without assistance and the 12 speed cassette works well. Don't think there is anything I don't like about it to be honest. Saddle is comfy as well. I suppose with hindsight I should have got a full suspension bike as I don't think there are any reasons why not with an E-bike except for the cost. I think the SL has better shocks and the Race has Shimano gears.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Anyone got this bike in either, Pro, Race or SL spec?

Thoughts please.
May be a little of topic, but I would definitely get full suspension even if it is a lower spec. I know it is more expensive but besides that, the riding experience is completely different, so much better, even if you mainly do roads and the extra weight is a non-issue on an EMTB. If it is your first EMTB, you will se how quickly you will be tempted to go off road and then FS is just worlds apart. (Of course you may be a purist with great technique, but for us mortals…).

Waynedance

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
It is a big jump in price to go full suspension and getting the same level of equipment. MY understanding is a hard tail would be better for the road and trails as you are not loosing power through the rear shock.

I like the SL as it comes with the Nyon display which looks amazing, not sure what the cheapest full suspension is that comes with that display.

Can the displays be changed/upgraded?

Waynedance

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
May be a little of topic, but I would definitely get full suspension even if it is a lower spec. I know it is more expensive but besides that, the riding experience is completely different, so much better, even if you mainly do roads and the extra weight is a non-issue on an EMTB. If it is your first EMTB, you will se how quickly you will be tempted to go off road and then FS is just worlds apart. (Of course you may be a purist with great technique, but for us mortals…).

I am 45 with a little-ish extra poundage, definitely not build for major downhills with jumps. ha.

What would you recommend FS? The Decathalon Stilus looks a bargain but sold out.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I am 45 with a little-ish extra poundage, definitely not build for major downhills with jumps. ha.

What would you recommend FS? The Decathalon Stilus looks a bargain but sold out.
I am 44 and also don´t do jumps, although the bike has made me lose 5kgs in less than a month and I am now getting into more technical trails. What I am saying is that your style may change towards things you didnt think doable before an ebike, which means you will quickly want FS, apart from the extra comfort and fun it brings even on flats.

There are so many good bikes out there, but I got a Cube because it is a big brand with lots of service centers and great spec for the price. the best is a brand with a local shop or service center close to home unless you are a good home mechanic. If you have the budget, get any bike in the stereo hybrid 140 series because you get 29" wheels, which are great for rolling fast on flats, supension for all types of terrain except the roughest downhill and a decent seat post travel which is aboslutely key, even for the lightest of trails.
I know its expensive, but if you can you wont regret it, even if you dont get all the use out of the components.

Decathlon stylus is a great choice, best value for money, no doubt. Rob has a video on it and also upgraded it. (Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX - EMTB Forums). However, it is actually not all that much cheaper than a Cube or other similar brands with a little LBS discount. All in all, I think a great all rounder is 130-150mm travel,125-150mm seat post, 29" inch wheels and 4 piston brakes. From there it will just be better, smoother or lighter components, but essentially the same capability for mortals like us...

(As a response to your former post, the display has little real world use imo, although it is a cool gadget. Also, there is no noticable power loss in the rear suspension becasue its an ebike, unless you measure seconds in a race. You will keep up with your fittest friends, trust me. Seriously, just try an FS for 5 minuttes.)

Last edited:

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
You will be paying for the servicing anyway (unless part of a deal) so you can go where you like although as some shops are very busy, they may prioritise those they sold bikes to.

But warranty work is easier to get done by the supplying dealer as they can't really say no whereas the others could, again especially if busy.

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Received my Hybrid Reaction Pro 625 at the weekend.
My first ebike, so i cant compare to anything else, but i love it. Though no one warned me about the all the flies you swallow on the first ride. Couldnt stop smiling!

Thinking about buying a spare battery to increase the distance i can ride, and also to carry as a backup on rides that im not sure if one battery will do.

Will the 500wh batteries fit the 625 bike? Thought i might buy a 500 if its a bit smaller for easier carrying,but on thinking about it,if they are smaller, then how do they reach the lock in points and the battery connections?

If the battery itself isnt any shorter, and theres not much of a weight saving, then i may as well buy another 625.
Not that much more expensive either.

Waynedance

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
I started off looking at the Reaction Pro and ended up looking at the one below. How is the motor at higher speeds above the motor limit, much resistance, never owned an e bike.

Might as well buy a 625 as you would still have to carry the original empty battery.

I have found a LBS that do Cubes just got wait for the Cube Stereo SL 140 2021 to be released.

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
I havent noticed much resistance. Not cycled anything in 2 years ,so my leg fitness isnt the best, but i can keep it above the speed limit fairly easy when on the flat. Only 2 rides so far, so maybe ill notice more in time, but pretty happy so far.

Did 15 miles the first night after receiving it (long wait on the supplied compact charger!), went out the next morning and did 39 miles over some pretty rough ground with a few steep climbs.No way i could have managed that route on my normal bike even when fairly fit.

Good point about carrying the 625 anyway when switching over.

Waynedance

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
I am still torn between a hardtail and full suspension. Not sure a full suspension would be wasted and more maintenance than I need.

Is yours a 2020 or 2021 model?

Fining it hard to find stock.

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Never had a full suss so cant comment on that.

2021 model. I couldnt find many places with stock either, and was originally looking at the Trek Powerfly, but discovered a bike shop near me had my size in stock online of the cube, so i got lucky. And they are now out of stock of it.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
I'll stand corrected, but if the bike comes with a 625 battery, the 500 will fit, but he 'clamping system' at the top will need to be moved to suit. I think the mounting positions are there on the main battery holding plate.

Waynedance

Sep 21, 2020
Uk

Found a local-ish shop with stock coming in November.

This is thew one for me, well over the £2500 budget I started with, lol.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I'll stand corrected, but if the bike comes with a 625 battery, the 500 will fit, but he 'clamping system' at the top will need to be moved to suit. I think the mounting positions are there on the main battery holding plate.
If I remember, when bosch come out with the 625wh battery, anounced an adapter to fit/instal the 500wh battery without the need to move the clamping system. Does anyone know someting about it? Does the think exists?

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Thanks mrpeaski, ill check later and see if that is the case. Though I've ordered another 625 instead, figured there wasn't much of a saving to be made. And saves the bother of moving the clamp

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
So i checked, and on the inside of the frame, behind the battery, there are markings and slots for a 625 battery position, and 500. Nothing for the 400.
Never tried it, but looks like you remove a rubber cover, undo one bolt and the clamp should slide down to the slot labelled for the 500 battery.

How waterproof is the bike frame charging point supposed to be? I have a rubber flap that covers it, but doesnt seal very well, so some water and mud can get inside the charging point itself. Does it matter?

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I am still torn between a hardtail and full suspension. Not sure a full suspension would be wasted and more maintenance than I need.

Is yours a 2020 or 2021 model?

Fining it hard to find stock.
I purchased the SL625 model, the 2020 version. It's exactly the same as the 2021 model with the exception it now comes with a 4amp charger and the Nyon instead of the Kiox display.
I too had the same dilema of wether to buy a FS or hardtail. budget wasn't an issue.
I use the bike every day for commuting to work so I'm mainly on roads or cycle paths. I thought FS was overkill for what I intended to use the bike for. It was either buy a high end hardtail or entry level FS. The extra maintenance also put me off the FS.
In the end it was the draw of the higher spec'd parts with the excellent Kiox display that won me over. A purchase I couldn't be happier with.
I'm sure whatever you choose, you will enjoy

Poachermas666

Aug 27, 2020
England
My reaction hybrid pro 2021 625, is coming up to 2 months old and I've covered close to 300 miles, brilliant bike, I'm 64 and 19 stone, there's no way I could have done that mileage on ordinary bike, this bike is so addictive, I actually look forward to going out on it, albeit my longest run is only 13 miles, my only disappointment is the suntour forks so much so that I'm waiting on a set of rockshox Reba rl gold boost forks to turn up, on back order, recommended by shop, the only other changes I've made is, changed grips as vibration was hurting my wrists, but hopefully new forks will take care of that, more comfortable saddle, but might put original back on, as bum has settled down, when I first got her was using turbo mode, but now getting fitter I use emtb exclusively, was worried spending that sort of money I wouldn't get on with it, but I'm getting fitter and going further,so brilliant buy.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My reaction hybrid pro 2021 625, is coming up to 2 months old and I've covered close to 300 miles, brilliant bike, I'm 64 and 19 stone, there's no way I could have done that mileage on ordinary bike, this bike is so addictive, I actually look forward to going out on it, albeit my longest run is only 13 miles, my only disappointment is the suntour forks so much so that I'm waiting on a set of rockshox Reba rl gold boost forks to turn up, on back order, recommended by shop, the only other changes I've made is, changed grips as vibration was hurting my wrists, but hopefully new forks will take care of that, more comfortable saddle, but might put original back on, as bum has settled down, when I first got her was using turbo mode, but now getting fitter I use emtb exclusively, was worried spending that sort of money I wouldn't get on with it, but I'm getting fitter and going further,so brilliant buy.

The wife and I have reaction hybrid hardtails but I have RockShox Judy forks and she has Suntour coils. The Suntours feel absolutely awful and there is even a warning sticker on them telling you not to do jumps ?. There is also no lockout on them. Both dials are for preload on the 2019 model ?. Can you believe that??? No lockout!!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
So i checked, and on the inside of the frame, behind the battery, there are markings and slots for a 625 battery position, and 500. Nothing for the 400.
Never tried it, but looks like you remove a rubber cover, undo one bolt and the clamp should slide down to the slot labelled for the 500 battery.

How waterproof is the bike frame charging point supposed to be? I have a rubber flap that covers it, but doesnt seal very well, so some water and mud can get inside the charging point itself. Does it matter?

I don’t think it matters too much. It’s designed to allow any water to drain away. For long term storage I put these caps on the terminals but make sure they are dry first.

7ECD8F06-837A-43A9-BA18-B59AC3CF79D8.jpeg

Poachermas666

Aug 27, 2020
England
The wife and I have reaction hybrid hardtails but I have RockShox Judy forks and she has Suntour coils. The Suntours feel absolutely awful and there is even a warning sticker on them telling you not to do jumps ?. There is also no lockout on them. Both dials are for preload on the 2019 model ?. Can you believe that??? No lockout!!
Glad I'm not the only one dissatisfied with the suntour forks, thought it might be because I'm a heavy lump, mine is a hardtail and has lockout, maybe I should leave it locked out,? I know nothing about bike suspension, I've had 3 punctures on back end, so now thinking about going tubeless when the bike goes in for the forks to be fitted?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve got Mr Tuffy tyre liners between the tyres and tubes. I’m not convinced they are that good and they don’t stop all punctures. The next option is a Tannus Tyre armour insert which I have one ready to try if needed. I’ve heard good things about the Tannus armour but it does add a bit of weight.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Glad I'm not the only one dissatisfied with the suntour forks, thought it might be because I'm a heavy lump, mine is a hardtail and has lockout, maybe I should leave it locked out,? I know nothing about bike suspension, I've had 3 punctures on back end, so now thinking about going tubeless when the bike goes in for the forks to be fitted?

For tarmac / fire roads they are fine but rough terrain they don’t feel good at all. Reminds me of riding a pogo stick while carrying a bag of nails

Philw67

Oct 25, 2020
POOLE

Found a local-ish shop with stock coming in November.

This is thew one for me, well over the £2500 budget I started with, lol.
Hi Wayne, which shop has/had stock please?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles