The Bike:
IM2_7777.jpg

Manufacturer: Canyon
Model: Torque : ON 9
Model Year: 2021
Price Paid: €5799
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: I have reviewed it here on youtube, let's say more of a first ride.
Going to be an epic bike... Price performance.....

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Im afraid is the same frame that they use on the Spectral. Sizing is crazy.

On the other hand ... 4500 Zeb Súper Deluxe 180mm bike, with some decent room to save weight ... price is also crazy on a good way.

Last edited:

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
Great review!
The spec on the cheepest are so good. But the slack seat angle put it out of the competition for me (and a little overkill because I want a more all mountain enduro bike. Will use my long travel enduro bike for Dh and bike parks).

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
One thing that annoys me from Canyon, impossible to know what the bh height is ... anyone knows? Are they on the average or run lower (about 335) the smaller ep8 could improve this in several bikes

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Interesting that it comes with the 500wh battery in order to remove 600gms of weight further up the frame.

But that means for the same given ride, the smaller Li-ion battery will be cycled deeper than a bigger one, meaning that the smaller battery will fail earlier in its life. And we're not talking by infinitesimal amounts. I proposed in another forum two middle-of-the road examples* and calculated using the data in Table 2 here:

...and the result was roughly half-the-number of discharge cycles for the smaller-and-deeper-discharged battery. That seems like a steep price to pay for 600 grams of weight loss.

* (400-Watt and 300-Watt battery-consumption rides. Requiring 80% and 60% depth-of-discharge of a 500WH battery, and 57% and 43% depth-of-discharge of a 700WH battery. respectively. My own 18-mile, 3400ft ride today was a ~60% discharge of a 700WH battery.)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
But that means for the same given ride, the smaller Li-ion battery will be cycled deeper than a bigger one, meaning that the smaller battery will fail earlier in its life. And we're not talking by infinitesimal amounts. I proposed in another forum two middle-of-the road examples* and calculated using the data in Table 2 here:
Hey, don't blame me, I didn't design it ! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, you're having to make a lot of assumptions on your calculations, on charged voltage, discharged voltage, transposing someone's table. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't take it as fact. Every single battery's life is different anyway depending on how people ride, how people charge, when people ride, temperature charging, temperature storing, charge level stored, temperature riding.

There was a good test of "actual" capacities of batteries (I can't find it at the moment). The Shimano battery's usable capacity was lower than anyone elses. Which would suggest they've played safe with a lower maximum charge level and/or a higher maximum discharge level.

They guarantee 1000 discharge cycles to 60% :

As for the bike. It's ultimately a "performance" item so whilst it might only be "600g" , it's 600g higher up which will make a huge difference to how the bike handles. You'd imagine they tested this extensively in real life and discussed it before making the decision.

Take something like a Whyte, most people who ride one notice how it's so much more flickable compared to heavier bikes because they managed to get the weight lower.

Anyway. You can buy two 500wh batteries with it. Stop and change batteries every mile to spead the loading evenly and your two 500wh batteries will last far longer than a 630wh battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles