Author
Mar 18, 2019
Italy
Product Image:
IM2_5440.jpg

Product name: 2021 Trek Rail 9 - Alu
Price paid: 6799
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: Put together this video review of the 2021 bike...

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
As I have one myself, I can also say.... it is a brilliant bike, it is just FUN! I recommend it to everyone.

One Q there, you seem to have also an L, and a bottle holder, what bottle actually fits without hitting the frame/shock? :)

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
As I have one myself, I can also say.... it is a brilliant bike, it is just FUN! I recommend it to everyone.

One Q there, you seem to have also an L, and a bottle holder, what bottle actually fits without hitting the frame/shock? :)
It will be a bottle holder that you pull the bottle from the side ?

notaninfluencer

Author
Mar 18, 2019
Italy
The bottle thing is a difficult one, even a small bottle if the base is the wrong shape interferes with the shock piggy back... so you need a low profile base, otherwise its good pulls from the side.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
It does look awesome - not over the top. What is everybody's preoccupation with bottle holders? :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

When you can mount a bottle, then you do not have to transport your water otherwise (read: backpack); one does get thirsty at one point eh ;)
Not having to have a backpack along is a bit more fun to ride, though depending on backpack one hardly notices it.

Anyway, the bike even looks great with a mud/snowhugger large and zeb fender on the front:

mudguards.jpg

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia

I purchased a wolfe tooth offset with a left side bontrager cage and a small bottle from trek shop. Works great

20201229_163243.jpg

Updownunder

Feb 25, 2021
Australia
Hi guys, newbie here.
Just wondering if any of you Rail owners have had any issues with noisey Zeb forks / headset and the Bontrager dropper and remote?
I’ve done around 100 km on my new Rail 9 GX and for the first 40k everything was fine, then the dropper stopped dropping. I have to bounce on the saddle to get it to drop (it returns fine). And a horrible clunking noise started coming from the headset. I took it back to dealer and the mech’ checked and greased the headset and told me it’s just the characteristics of the dropper to act like that. I took it to the trails and the noise from the front end was still terrible, probably worse than before for about 10k then, suddenly it stopped. Suddenly silent, smooth action from the forks. Which is great but I’ve no idea what’s going on with it? The dropper is still really poor and unresponsive. Do any of you guys have experience of this? Cheers.

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Mine fortunately has been working perfectly fine over the near 800km that I did last season (knock on wood).
Currently awaiting the snow to clear properly and the silly rainy/cold weather to disappear... then back on the bike and into the mountains ;)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The dropper is still really poor and unresponsive. Do any of you guys have experience of this?
It comes up a few times (no pun intended..) , for instance :

Updownunder

Feb 25, 2021
Australia
Thanks for the replies. I was tempted to swap the remote for a wolf tooth that I have, see if there’s any difference but think I’m going to push it as a warranty issue as the bike is 2 weeks old. I shouldn’t have to force the post down to make it drop! I’d imagine that even the cheapest of posts drop under the riders weight when activated?

Darrann

Oct 3, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Cable routing can be messy when you shift dropper post right down. Really need to find favourite mount height then look through space behind charger plug to ensure cable is not doubled back on itself.
I removed the battery and backed off the cable mounting clamps to pull back and reclamp the dropper cable.
Sorted out the poor performance.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles