2021 Bosch Gen4 Speed reading higher ( Kiox )

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
Recently purchased a 2021 Cube 160 SL ( Australia speed capped at 25kph ) and I've noticed that the speed on the bosch gen 4 is higher than it should be, my bosch is reading 25kph while my Garmin is showing 22kph and assistance stop there at around 22 -23kph not 25kph.
I've put in the wheel circumference many times with many variations of circumference to see if it matters which it made no difference.

Next steps would be to have the dealer plug in and see if its configured as a 29" rather then 27.5" as it should be.

Anyone else having this type of issue, curious.

Happy Jack

Aug 23, 2020
UK
Recently purchased a 2021 Cube 160 SL ( Australia speed capped at 25kph ) and I've noticed that the speed on the bosch gen 4 is higher than it should be, my bosch is reading 25kph while my Garmin is showing 22kph and assistance stop there at around 22 -23kph not 25kph.
I've put in the wheel circumference many times with many variations of circumference to see if it matters which it made no difference.

Next steps would be to have the dealer plug in and see if its configured as a 29" rather then 27.5" as it should be.

My Purion is the same. Reading a couple of MPH higher than my Garmin. It is similar on my wife's bike however that is a Shimano but you can adjust speed settings in the e-tube software.

I think if you do a search it isn't that uncommon

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
With the Kiox you are able to enter the actual wheel circumference and therefore get an accurate reading. Just go into the settings.

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
With the Kiox you are able to enter the actual wheel circumference and therefore get an accurate reading. Just go into the settings.
Negative, have already tried that does nothing for speeds it's off the magnet, have had confirmation from Bosch that basically this is how it us, lol, awesome.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Negative, have already tried that does nothing for speeds it's off the magnet, have had confirmation from Bosch that basically this is how it us, lol, awesome.
I’m not convinced. I think you may have misunderstood the rep or visa versa. When I changed it on mine it did feel different. I know that is not scientific but if it had no effect they wouldn’t limit it to within set parameters. As the magnet pulses the sensor the computer records one revolution I.e. the circumference you have set. Using speed = distance/time you get the result of the calculation displayed on the monitor. The distance being the circumference.

Try this. Choose the highest setting on the Kiox. Find a long straight and once up to a chosen speed, stay at that speed and time yourself between two fixed points. Then change the setting and time it using the method.

I have never heard of magnets that can record speeds but everyday is a school day.

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
I’m not convinced. I think you may have misunderstood the rep or visa versa. When I changed it on mine it did feel different. I know that is not scientific but if it had no effect they wouldn’t limit it to within set parameters. As the magnet pulses the sensor the computer records one revolution I.e. the circumference you have set. Using speed = distance/time you get the result of the calculation displayed on the monitor. The distance being the circumference.

Try this. Choose the highest setting on the Kiox. Find a long straight and once up to a chosen speed, stay at that speed and time yourself between two fixed points. Then change the setting and time it using the method.

I have never heard of magnets that can record speeds but everyday is a school day.
I never said that magnets record speed mate, in any regard even with the settings on the highest possible measure vs the lowest the speed readout on the Kiox vs the Garmin is displayed greater then the Garmin along with distance, so in saying that the meat of the roll-out measured, still gives me a great distance then the Garmin after a ride therefore innacurate.

On the highest measurement roll-out the distance is even greater then it was at the lesser value, which was known.

I've just left cbf, the only thing that shits me is that the odo may show more ks overall then what's been ridden.
When riding I just leave the screen on with ks remaining, and use my Garmin formal else.

Just really disappointing that Bosch can't sort this shit out and still use a shitty magnet on the spoke.

Cheers all.

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
I can confirm that the Bosch system cuts of to early. This can be only adjusted by the dealer with specific container files unfortunately. Involves contacting the producer of the bike and Bosch itself. It's a hassle...

Updownunder

Feb 25, 2021
Australia

I have the exact same issue on my 2021 Trek Rail 9 which doesn’t have the magnet on the spoke but has it hub mounted. I’ve used 3 different gps speedometers and tested it against other ebikes and the result is always around 2.7 Kph slower than the kiox display reads. I’ve taken it back to the dealer and he said that he performed a software update but it’s changed nothing.
It’s so bloody annoying when riding with other ebikes on the flat, they’re getting motor assist and I’m fighting the lag to try and keep up. It’s really pissing me off but I’ve no idea what to do about it?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Same here on my Wild. It's been a couple months since I experimented with this, but I did try different wheel circumference settings and none of them affected speed (the Garmin and the Kiox reported exactly the same discrepancy before and after). It would make sense if the user-selectable circumference affects distance only and the speed adjustment is guarded much more tightly.

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Not necessarily applicable to the Garmin for at least two reasons:
1. It’s not an automobile speedometer. Auto speedometers in the US have regulations that allow a lot of “read high” error and about zero tolerance for “read low” error, so all auto manufacturers make them err slightly high. Cyclecomputers don’t fall under those regulations.
2. If you have a speed sensor (I do), the GPS is used to calibrate the wheel size, but the speed at any given moment comes from the sensor. Much higher potential for accuracy than pure GPS tracking.

In fairness, I don’t have a good means to really nail down my true speed with absolute certainty, but because the Garmin has the technical ability to be superior to an eMTB’s speed sensor and it doesn’t face the same regulatory pressure to be Class 1 compliant, I’m more inclined to believe it’s the accurate one. The Kiox doesn’t seem to care if it’s running Maxxis Aspen 2.1’s or Minion DHR 2.6’s.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
My Kona ebike speedometer over-read by about 1mph
The wheel circumference was set at 2350mm but the actual wheel circumference measured by me is 2250mm.
I used the Stunlocker app to reset the circumference to 2250mm and the speedometer on the bike is now within 0.3 miles of my Strava GPS on a 20 mile ride.

lt made the bike around 1mph faster along the ground, according to my GPS speedometer.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have the same problem. WHen riding with other eBikes, I am always struggling to keep up as I am over 25 and they are within. My wife has a cube with 29 inch wheels, and mine are 27.5. she is a little faster.
I adjusted my wheel diameter to as small as possible and it helped a bit (I think).

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l think you can adjust it 5%.
So at an indicated 15mph you will be around 0.75mph faster along the ground.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
l think you can adjust it 5%.
So at an indicated 15mph you will be around 0.75mph faster along the ground.
Exactly. And I also read / heard, that they overestimate your speed on purpose so you / they do not become liable for having a Pedelec powered at over 25kmh. Similar to car speedos which always show you are going faster than you actually are. Otherwise people would start sending their speeding tickets to the car builder, saying it wasn't their fault that they were driving so fast, as the speedo said they were within the speed limit.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
The circumference of my STEPS E8000 equipped Kona was set at 2450mm.
l measured the circumference and it was actually 2350mm
So that's a difference of 10cm

l used Stunlocker to set it to 2350mm and now the bike speedometer shows about 0.5km more than Strava GPS on a 20 mile ride.

Before, the bike would claim l had done about 2km more.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles