IMG_8007.jpg

IMG_8009.jpg

Manufacturer: Vitus E=Escarpe VRS
Model: E=Escarpe VRS
Model Year: 2020
Price Paid: £3600
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: This is very much my first impression of the Vitus and of e-bikes, this being my first. I'll try and update this as I ride the bike more and build up a better overall picture.

First impression when it came out of the cardboard was wow it looks great and wow it's massive. I know it isn't important but I love the colour scheme of the bike. The grey and orange combo looks modern without looking like a German anorak.

As a first timer when it comes to e-bikes the scale of the bike took me by surprise. I'd never managed to try an EMTB in my local store as they were always out of stock and nothing that you see on the internet gives a true reflection of the size of the bike compared to a standard analogue bike. I posted a pic above of my two bikes next to each other. The Vitus makes my old bike look like a BMX.

If you haven't ridden an EMTB before be prepared for everything to be wider and larger in scale. The wheels (29 and 27.5 on the Vitus) are much taller than my old bike and the tires also much wider. The frame itself isn't taller but again it is wider and chunkier. The whole bike can be described as chunkier than an analogue bike. As I got onto it for the first time it reminded me a lot of my next door neighbours Raleigh Bomber from the 1970s (Showing my age now).

For reference I went with a large frame as I'm 6 feet with a 32/33 inside leg.

Without the battery installed I didn't notice the weight of the bike. It rolls great and didn't feel so different from analogue. With battery installed that does add a few kilos and you can feel it.

Quick comment on the quality of setup from CRC. I noticed that the pop up seat cable must have been dragged through the frame as it has some damage. Otherwise everything else looks and feels good though the brakes are going to need adjustment or bleeding as the bite point is too close to the bars for me.

Bar and pedal installation was a breeze with a useful allen key set thrown in by CRC. I went with nukeproof neutrons to get me on the road and then went for a first ride....

I live in suburban kent countryside in a hilly area and have a regular loop I ride including some hilly roads that take me to the top of a trail that drops down through woods and then back home via hilly b roads again. I've never completed this ride without a fair amount of walking and pushing until today.

Wow the motor really makes a difference. I don't know what I was expecting but it really makes riding fun again. I'm in my 40s now and spend too much time sitting on my arse so getting up the hills and keeping up with my kids is harder every year. The motor changes all that. You still need to push but it gives you just enough assistance to power up the painful bits and then fades into the back ground when you don't need it.

I rattled off 12 k in no time at all could have done it over and over again. It really is a game changer for me as I can see myself cycling so much more both for pleasure and also for journeys where I would have taken the car.

Specwise I love the shocks. My previous bike was a pretty cheap hardtail and it is night and day with the Vitus. Front and rear shocks are easily adjustable which made a difference when switching between road and trail. Coming down through the forest with all the roots and debris was a breeze. The seat popper is also a revelation if you have never had one before. It really allows you to drive up the hills and then hang your arse out the back on the downhill sections.

That pretty much sums up my first impression. I may head to Bedgebury tomorrow to give it a proper workout so will update this thread as and when I have more to say.

Last but not least bike security is going to be an issue as I imagine EMTBs are a top target for local bikes thieves. I'm definitely going to need a bigger lock.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Nice colour scheme.
As for security, I can recommend the Kryptonite New York Noose 1.2m long, secured to a Kryptonite ground anchor. That will be for the garage or shed, not for carrying about with you!
Once on the move, just don't let it out of your sight!

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Raleigh Bomber - that is a blast from the past, I'd forgotten all about those beasts.

One neighbour had a Bomber and the other had a Grifter. I was so jealous because I had Dawes drop handled bar racer and I couldn't pop a wheeley.

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Nice colour scheme.
As for security, I can recommend the Kryptonite New York Noose 1.2m long, secured to a Kryptonite ground anchor. That will be for the garage or shed, not for carrying about with you!
Once on the move, just don't let it out of your sight!

Cheers, i'll look into that.

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Quick update as I got out for a proper ride today.

OMFG ........... this totally changes the game. I haven't had this much fun on a bike ever.

I rode about 30k on a combination of cinder track trails, wood descents and ascents and a few stretches on b roads today. I found routes and tracks in my local woods that I have never seen in 8 years of walking and riding there. It is just so easy and fun to explore and keep on riding. I was riding up steep rocky tracks like there were nothing. Incredible fun and still great exercise as you push harder and further and longer than you ever would on a standard bike.

I made a couple of tweaks to the drive setings after my first few rides that definitely improved things today. The first was changing the max assistance speed to the US limit. 20mph I think? This definitely makes riding on the road feel smoother and more natural as I tend to cruise between 15 to 20 I guess and with the original limit I was always dipping in and out of power mode which felt a bit strange. At 20 cruising is perfect. I also switched Trail mode to medium assist and once the novelty of Boost mode had worn off this is the mode I spent most time in.

There really isn't much that feels better than riding all the way up a steep gully without stopping where previously I would have burned out after 25 metres. I only had to get off and push once when i hit a 45' stretch.

I have nothing to compare against but this bike is incredible. A few more general observations based on today's ride:

1. The Shimano motor is plenty powerful. I had originally been looking for a Bosch bike for the extra torque but the e8000 was definitely not lacking in power today
  2. The shocks are a revelation coming from a hardtail and so easy to adjust. Simply flick a switch to firm or soften depending on conditions.
  3. The gyroscopic effect of the 29 inch front wheel definitely gives stability on difficult sections whilst the bike still feels nimble for such a big bike
  4. The gears are super smooth and precise. No grinding or slipping at all. Could perhaps do with one bigger gear.
  5. I thought the brakes needed bleeding but as the pads have bedded in they feel better now
  6. Given how fat and grippy the tyres are they roll great on tarmac too. I couldn't resist overtaking some lycra racing bike riders up a hill section which must have given them a bit of a shock.
  7. Nowhere obvious to mount a water bottle. Need to google options.

All in all I really cant wait to get out on this thing again tomorrow.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Nowhere obvious to mount a water bottle. Need to google options.
Fidlock do a strap mount which you could hang like this one. This one had a bottle mount there, but no normal cages would mount or sit there without dropping the bottle on rough stuff :

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Fidlock do a strap mount which you could hang like this one. This one had a bottle mount there, but no normal cages would mount or sit there without dropping the bottle on rough stuff :

Thanks will look in to that one. Not immediately obvious how it attaches?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have used the fidlock unibase on my E-Sommet - it will only work on a size large and above, and you need to use the smallest bottle size - I ditched the rubber straps it came with, and used heavy duty zip ties instead - I also protected the frame with electrical tape under the zip ties.

IMG_8848.jpeg

IMG_8849.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Using Amazon for ease of reference but you can probably find cheaper on one of the big German online bike shops

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that though I wonder whether the water might get a bit warm in a bum bag. Definitely worth a look for the price.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A review , in French ... but you can see what it's like and how it works. Their reviews are normally unbiased.

You can also click the subtitles button and use the settings to change to English if you want to know what he's saying .

And this one .... More about heating water than cooling water .. but it makes a thread about bidon's (bottles) more interesting ..

If you forgot to turn it off and went for a pee, it would also be called a willy warmer ..

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks a lot , that is a tight fit!

Out of interest did you consider any other mounting points?
You could mount it the other way so bottle sits on top of top tube but that would get in the way when riding IMO - where I have it is the only place it will fit within the frame

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
A review , in French ... but you can see what it's like and how it works. Their reviews are normally unbiased.

You can also click the subtitles button and use the settings to change to English if you want to know what he's saying .

And this one .... More about heating water than cooling water .. but it makes a thread about bidon's (bottles) more interesting ..

If you forgot to turn it off and went for a pee, it would also be called a willy warmer ..

Merci bien, heureusement je parle Francais.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I ordered one earlier so it will be interesting to see what it's like in real life. None of the Decathlon shops in the area show as having them in stock. They're actually quite well hidden on the French web site and only appear if you search for Rockrider Sac - They don't show in with back packs and bum bags or hydration bags.

Co-incidentally I'd ordered a different "bum bag" to try carrying bits in for some rides, it's a bit crap though, the decathlon one looks much more suitable and the bit against the back looks like it should let some air around. They only have the green ones here, and it's more expensive .. but it is what it is.

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
The video was very helpful to give a sense of scale. My only doubt looking at it would be the straw unclipping and getting caught in the wheel. Otherwise looks great.

Ged

Aug 17, 2020
Suffolk
Your dropper post looks like it's sticking waay out of the seat tube. Is your seat height correct with the post extended?
Did you set up your shock pressures? I was lazy my first ride as it getting dark. Set up sag and rebound for my second ride and I'm loving it.
I'm 5'7.5, 30" leg riding a medium. Coming from a 2002 stumpjumper fsr xc, i was worried about that head tube angle and the 29er front wheel. It feels absolutely horrible... until it doesn't-ish. I ride xc (Thetford forest) and slow steery bits aren't great, fast leany bits are awesome. Tubeless valves were in the box so that was easy!
I agree about the scary 2 finger brakes. After a lot of bedding in, I've moved the levers inboard and I'm confidently 1 finger braking.
Someone here complained that the chain device was set incorrectly and was cutting into the frame. Mine was to, but moved it before first ride. Please check yours.
In my opinion, the absolute worst thing about this bike is the, yup, you guessed it, lack of bottle mount.
It's like being 20 years younger. Love it.

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Cheers for the feedback. If I'm honest I've never had a seat dropper before so wasn't sure quite how to set it up. When I first plugged it right down into the frame it stopped operating so I looked at the markings on the tube and set it at what looked like the min level marking. I was in a hurry to get going so should probably look at it again and actually read the instructions :) Having said that I'm fine with it where it is.

The brakes have bedded in well and I no longer think they need bleeding though in the perfect world the bite point is still a bit close to the bars.

I haven't really played with the shocks much other than the quick settings. Again I should probably read the manuals. Looking at the front shock sag band it seems to have maxed out at about 3/4 of the travel in the 60k I've ridden so far so probably isn't far from where it should be. For the rear I don't really have a clue how best to set it up. I did fiddle with the rebound earlier but wasn't really sure what I was doing.

Hmm what is the chain device? I think I would have noticed if it was cutting into the frame but I'd like to check.

Yeah the bottle mount or lack of one is a PITA. I've just ordered a mount from amazon and am going to experiment with cable ties tomorrow.

Totally agree on feeling 20 years younger. I road 15 miles of cross country tonight and could have done another 15 if it wasn't getting dark. You get all the best bits of biking without age/fitness/incline holding you back.

Ged

Aug 17, 2020
Suffolk
R.e. the seat post. The cable routing is awful. It stopped working because the cable kinked near the bottom of the shock. If you lower it you'll have to feed more cable through the frame (which has sharp edges inside making it awkward) making sure it is is clear of the shock.
A shock pump is a worthwhile investment if you don't have one. Those Fox parts have just cost you a lot of money, set them up right and you'll see why. Loads of vids on YouTube for setup.
My 750ml bottle JUST fits in my frame, so maybe I could 3d print something, maybe!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This is the chain device - if it is rotated too far back it will hit the chain stay when the suspension is compressed and start to tear off the chain stay protection

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 22.20.11.png

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Chain device looks OK but i've managed to disconnect the seat post cable by mistake whilst trying to lower it. Is there any trick to reconnecting it? Given how wrecked it looks I may need to install a new cable. When CRC built the bike they destroyed this cable feeding it through the frame. That would be my only criticism of the bike and CRC after hitting my first 100k on the bike today.

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
Totally agree on feeling 20 years younger. I road 15 miles of cross country tonight and could have done another 15 if it wasn't getting dark. You get all the best bits of biking without age/fitness/incline holding you back.

Preach brother.

I'm in Kent too if you fancy going further afield like Peaslake which is just a banging place to ride. Bedgebury also good but a bit tame compared to Peaslake.

Join us in South East rides thread!

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
I'm near Sevenoaks and normally ride in some local woods (Dibden) that are like a mini Bedgebury but without the manicured red routes. Good fun but without the scale of bedgebury. Having said that I'm discovering new areas all the time. I need to really map out a planned loop whereas I just keep peddling at the moment and frequently get lost and have to doubleback.

Where is Peaslake? Never heard of it but always looking for new trails. I'll have a look for the South East rides thread.

Now I need to try and fix the seat dropper.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you need to drop the motor to put the cable through (which hopefully you don't and you can either use the existing inner or outer to feed the new on through) , you can leave the back two bolts in and the motor just swings down.

nosuchuser

Jun 10, 2020
London
I'm near Sevenoaks and normally ride in some local woods (Dibden) that are like a mini Bedgebury but without the manicured red routes. Good fun but without the scale of bedgebury. Having said that I'm discovering new areas all the time. I need to really map out a planned loop whereas I just keep peddling at the moment and frequently get lost and have to doubleback.

Where is Peaslake? Never heard of it but always looking for new trails. I'll have a look for the South East rides thread.

Now I need to try and fix the seat dropper.

Peaslake is a village over near Guilford, top trails there, have a look on youtube for Barry Knows Best, Supernova, John the Baptist

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles