Review 2020 Vitus E=Escarpe VRS E=Escarpe VRS

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
The dropper outer is a mare to feed through, but as long as its just the outer and not the inner cable thats damaged you can inch it back or forward past the motor to leave enough in the seat tube to reach the seat post. You might need to inch it up the post to start so you can get it connected to the post, then inch it all back down slowly (without disconnecting from the post as youve experienced already!).

Also, if you are on a 20mph limit consider changing the chainring to a bigger size, running in high gears will wear them out real quick and leave you with hefty and regular replacement costs. Ive just left mine at 15mph cut off for that reason and cruise at the motor limit, I dont feel a real need to go faster on flat stuff given its the motor thats getting me to that pace anyway, so just go at the motors speed.

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Thanks, i had to loosen the locking nut in the bar control in order to reattach the seat end of the wire but when I did this the crimped end piece fell off and the wire pulled through the locking nut. It then frayed which makes it now impossible to feed back through the locking nut. Ugh.

I've ordered a new inner wire which perhaps I can feed through the old outer and back through the locking nut on the bar controls. If that fails then I may admit defeat and call in the professionals.

When you say chain ring do you mean the front sprocket?

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
When you say chain ring do you mean the front sprocket?

Yeah, they come with a 34 teeth (or mine did). If your spending a lot of time at higher speeds you will likely be running in the smallest 2 or 3 gears on the cassette, prolonged time in those gears under motor power will wear them really quickly. If you think its likely your riding will see you doing that most of the time then a bigger chainring (front sprocket), like a 36 teeth or bigger, will push you more towards the middle gears, and spread wear a bit more evenly. Its not necessary, but as a precautionary measure i think its worth thinking about. Lots of chat in the other forum about 12 speed chains and cassettes not lasting long, and the theme seems to be higher speed limits (at least i think so anyway).

A chainring is what £30? Cassettes are nearer £150, oops thats SRAM. A shimano 12 speed cassette can be had for £70, not too bad.

Of course this assumes you dont need the easiest gears you have now with the 34 up front, but i doubt thats an issue as yours comes with a 51t lowest gear in the back, which will still be plenty low under power.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
As for security, I can recommend the Kryptonite New York Noose 1.2m long, secured to a Kryptonite ground anchor. That will be for the garage or shed, not for carrying about with you!
Once on the move, just don't let it out of your sight!

Back on the security, TBH if they're serious you can't stop them. A portable SDS drill will dig out a ground anchor pretty quickly. I'd look at what your insurance mandates (if you have it), and meet that. Visible CCTV probably as big as a deterrent? Looks like you have some nice stuff in the garage! Oh, and don't publicise what you have on forums (oops) :)

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Yeah, they come with a 34 teeth (or mine did). If your spending a lot of time at higher speeds you will likely be running in the smallest 2 or 3 gears on the cassette, prolonged time in those gears under motor power will wear them really quickly. If you think its likely your riding will see you doing that most of the time then a bigger chainring (front sprocket), like a 36 teeth or bigger, will push you more towards the middle gears, and spread wear a bit more evenly. Its not necessary, but as a precautionary measure i think its worth thinking about. Lots of chat in the other forum about 12 speed chains and cassettes not lasting long, and the theme seems to be higher speed limits (at least i think so anyway).

A chainring is what £30? Cassettes are nearer £150, oops thats SRAM. A shimano 12 speed cassette can be had for £70, not too bad.

Of course this assumes you dont need the easiest gears you have now with the 34 up front, but i doubt thats an issue as yours comes with a 51t lowest gear in the back, which will still be plenty low under power.

Food for thought cheers. I think i need to get to know the bike a bit better first but that may make sense.

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
Back on the security, TBH if they're serious you can't stop them. A portable SDS drill will dig out a ground anchor pretty quickly. I'd look at what your insurance mandates (if you have it), and meet that. Visible CCTV probably as big as a deterrent? Looks like you have some nice stuff in the garage! Oh, and don't publicise what you have on forums (oops) :)

CCTV, dogs and garage. If thieves get past that then insurance. Point taken on the forum though I hope all data tags were removed from images.

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
I have used the fidlock unibase on my E-Sommet - it will only work on a size large and above, and you need to use the smallest bottle size - I ditched the rubber straps it came with, and used heavy duty zip ties instead - I also protected the frame with electrical tape under the zip ties.

View attachment 38279

View attachment 38280

After trying a few other setups with the bottle on top of the cross bar, on the bars and behind the seat I bit the bullet and copied your setup above. Its a bit expensive and the bottle is too small but its the best and cleanest solution for an inboard bottle. For longer trips I'll have rucksack anyway but this is perfect for shorter rides.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles