Levo Gen 2 2020 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Lenka

Nov 19, 2019
Praha
[QUOTE = "Jirka_S, příspěvek: 170525, člen: 5836"]
700kwh? Opravdu?
700 Wh je dost myslím.
[/CITÁT]
Tato baterie je v podstatě nabita v jaderné elektrárně.

RuSoLiNi

May 21, 2020
England
Does anyone else own a BMW in here? I'm starting to see a pattern in where I somehow end up buying the most unreliable hardware mankind has to offer? More issues found with my Levo apparently although my lbs is not too forthcoming with the info just yet.

Guess ill have to contact Specialized directly and hope they can sort something out, sometime.....Woe is me. :(

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Noob here.
Not sure what to do..
My back wheel is slightly buckled after yesterday's ride and the tyre rubs a little when spun, but I can't get it to a shop as they're all closed or booked solid for repairs.
I think I'm going to have to buy another rear wheel in the meantime so I can continue to ride.
Can anyone recommend anything please?
I was looking at maybe the HX 1501 from £472.50 at Chain Reaction as they say it's designed for ebikes and it's in stock.
Is there anything better for the money as it seems pricey at the best part of £500, but if it's worth it, I don't mind paying.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I'd try truing it first. Bit daunting at first, but this may help. It is the best guide to wheel building, I reckon.

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
Zillertal, Tirol, Austria
A first report on new to emtb and Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 700wh ownership.
Bike was purchased end of March 2020 from an LBS but also a Specialized Elite Dealer. They do sell BMC and Nox bikes also (built 10 miles from me at the bottom of the pass).

The bike was set up ready for me on collection from measurements taken (no charge), including suspension settings based on my weight.
Also included free were - tubeless set up as requested, tubes also supplied foc - choice of platform pedals, bell, front and rear guards, bottle.
As discussed at purchase, I upgraded to a full Austrian spec Magura mt5 braking system including fitting as recommended by the shop.
I added the Specialized TCD unit as an extra.

First free bike check was done at 250km. The chain guide was replaced foc due to a stone getting stuck in it and totalling this little plastic accessory. Everything else was in order.

I have until Sunday completed 502km on the Levo. I have also completed 15000m of altitude. It's basically up or down here.
Dividing by full charge cycles the average use is 42km per charge.
I took the bike to the shop yesterday for a rear pad change. These were right on the limit. The shop upgraded the pads to mt7 and installed these for €23. The front pads are holding up really well and I estimate another 500km before a change.
I checked the chain wear and at the moment it is showing < .75 stretch. I am guessing in another 250km this will need to be replaced. Not bad as I weigh approximately 96kg.

So overall the experience has been great.
In terms of the bike, all equipment and the functionality is good for what is a quite expensive emtb.
The SRAM GX is a little agricultural put never misses a shift.
Dropper post works perfectly and the saddle is comfortable.
The suspension is great off road but a bit of a sloth on asphalt unless you use the lockouts (I do now!).
It soaks up everything it encounters without a murmur, shrugs everything off without complaint or any nasty surprises.
Tyres are grippy and I would certainly recommend a tubeless set up. I have a 2.3 Black Diamond on the rear and it is not found wanting.
The TCD unit is a nice to have but quite expensive for what it offers. Backlight function is appreciated.
Charging and removing the battery is a cinch. I would prefer a lock on the battery as we do leave the bikes to walk in the mountains where it is unrideable sometimes.
The Magura upgrade was worth the €200 cost. Having test ridden with the SRAM as fitted there is no comparison. I would recommend this if you live in a mountainous area. These could be lifesavers! Consistent performance without fade and screeching and wondering if you are going to actually stop in time is a must for me.

I have found the motor to have a real kick to it and mostly ride in 35/35 eco setting to preserve battery. It feels sufficient if you intend to enjoy the journey.
Still playing with the Mission Control on the other settings. It would be nice if the Specialized button could be programmed for an additional performance setting.

Two things, firstly the motor. I was lead to believe that the Brose was near silent. You can definitely hear it, it's not bothersome but it is there.
700wh battery life. It seems to be enough for what I want but I admit an expectation that it would be better than 42km. I do live in the Alps, and as mentioned it is up or down. Happily, the Mountain cafe owners have no problem with cyclists plugging in for a charge assuming you are going to eat and drink something.

So, overall I am very happy with the experience to date. This was an expensive purchase, and of course I am always reading reviews. Somehow though, the Specialized manages to tick all the boxes. It has no real let downs in any department. I test rode two KTM's, a Giant and a 2018 Specialized 27.5. This model has all of them beat hands down.
The specs are not high end, but they do the job until replacement time.

Big thumbs up from me!

20200511_151251.jpg

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
700wh battery life. It seems to be enough for what I want but I admit an expectation that it would be better than 42km. I do live in the Alps, and as mentioned it is up or down. Happily, the Mountain cafe owners have no problem with cyclists plugging in for a charge assuming you are going to eat and drink something.
Well range depends on many factors, it's not just Wh of the battery ... Maybe also your new bike expected to get a new owner with more leg power :ROFLMAO:

Jirka_S

Sep 8, 2019
Czech
@Martintirol: For me is the default settings of engine power too strong so I don't wonder your range is only 42 km, I'm riding in mountains too and elevation gain over 2000 m and cca 80 km range in hard terrain is without problems. I put also less front cogwheel (excuse my bad English) - 30 instead of 32, it's great for my style of riding.
Eco 15/25 is usable for most of the day, using my own legs power to the maximum.
I've stored two more settings and I'm using them during ride, according to terrain or profile of the route.

Last edited:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I have found the motor to have a real kick to it and mostly ride in 35/35 eco setting to preserve battery. It feels sufficient if you intend to enjoy the journey.
Still playing with the Mission Control on the other settings. It would be nice if the Specialized button could be programmed for an additional performance setting.

700wh battery life. It seems to be enough for what I want but I admit an expectation that it would be better than 42km.
It should climb 2300 m +- depending on your weight in low eco, so on a flat 100+ km. You can use the turbo button as a 4th mode.

Last edited:

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
It should climb 2300 m +- depending on your weight in low eco, so on a flat 100+ km. You can use the turbo button as a 4th mode.
So the Specialized button always stays at 100/100 - even if i reset the Turbo mode to say 60/100? If so, thats quite a thing!

My quoted average is the total number of km ridden/charging cycles less the last unridden full charge.

I will give you an example of a ride - 37km, 1120m elevation gained, all in eco 35/35. remaining battery 39%.
Hypothetically i should achieve another 14.5km to empty which gives a total of 51.5km.
So, this particular ride hypothetically could exceed my average of 42km, but only half of the ride is taking the elevation. 18.5km is the downhill return journey!
In fact all my rides are out and back, 50/50 climbing and descending.
I use the gears as on a normal cycle and do not rely on the power modes when something steeper comes along.
At 96kg I am not a lightweight but I still feel that the 700wh is not delivering the kind of distances that I had expected.

I only use it in the high mountains here (I live in a ski resort at 1200m), my other three bikes I use for everything else.
I bought it to get high quickly to the tops on a regular basis as it halves the time required on a std mtb.

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
@Martintirol: For me is the default settings of engine power too strong so I don't wonder your range is only 42 km, I'm riding in mountains too and elevation gain over 2000 m and cca 80 km range in hard terrain is without problems. I put also less front cogwheel (excuse my bad English) - 30 instead of 32, it's great for my style of riding.
Eco 15/25 is usable for most of the day, using my own legs power to the maximum.
I've stored two more settings and I'm using them during ride, according to terrain or profile of the route.
Thanks for the reply. As mentioned, I am experimenting with the Mission Control app.
A typical ride for me is about 30km out and back, 35/35, 1200m elevation and I have approximately always 40% left.
This includes about 7km of relative flat tarmac.
Maybe I expected too much!

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I've purchased a park TM-1 and evened out the spokes in the rear wheel a bit, but I think the thread is slipping on one of them as it's pinging when tightened and losing some tension.

The wheel still has some wobble but not as much as before, but I'd feel safer knowing it had been looked at by someone with experience who actually knows what they're doing and has access to parts so I think I'm going to leave it alone for now until I can get it fixed properly.

As the shops near me are either closed or have backlogs of repairs for the next couple of weeks, I'm going to need to buy a new wheel.

Can anyone confirm for me before I buy, if this rear wheel would be suitable for my 2020 expert please?

Is there anything better for the money?
Would the HXC 1200 be suitable for a full fat levo?

Also, could somebody point me in the right direction for the correct cassette lockring remover please? Is the parktool FR-5.2GT the right one?
I think I'll just need a cassette lockring remover and a chainwhip. Is that everything for a rear wheel swap?

Sorry for all the noob questions but I've never done any of this before.

Last edited:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I'm heading out to ride now, have it set at Eco 25, trail 50, turbo 80 and hopefully shuttle 100
I'm not sure what you are aiming here ... Shuttle % setting will effect all 3 modes, so it cannot be 4th mode ...

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You will not find this in manual, for frame size L front is 75cm and rear is 160cm, I don't know if other frame sizes have different lenghts ...

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Gah, mine is XL and the brakes on offer are 149 and 67

Can't use my current pipes can I, with existing fittings and just change levers and cloppers?
No, banjo looks totally different

Last edited:

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Mind you, I could buy one new 2000mm pipe and cut the existing rear down to suit the front.

£125 for pair of almost brand new Guide RS doesn't seem to bad does it, with a bit of legwork to make it fit and £26 for new pipe, to replace my Level Ts

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles