Levo Gen 2 2020 Levo caught in a rain storm Now it Turns On By Itself

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
I got caught in some heavy rain last Thursday while riding my Levo and since then the bike turns on and stays on without anyone hitting the on button.
I have cleaned and dried everything but still now 4 days later it is still doing the same thing. Everything thing else with the E motor system is working properly.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Cheers!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sounds like you need to remove the TCU.

Disconnect it, open the USB flap and leave it somewhere warm and dry to dry out. Then make sure the USB flap is closed properly before you re-install it.

Some people wrap some tape around the TCU to make it more water resistant before they put it back.

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
I got caught in some heavy rain last Thursday while riding my Levo and since then the bike turns on and stays on without anyone hitting the on button.
I have cleaned and dried everything but still now 4 days later it is still doing the same thing. Everything thing else with the E motor system is working properly.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Cheers!
Remove the power switch/tcu assembly and give it a light hit with a hair dryer, it should be fine. It worked for me. Like someone else suggested it’s probably safer to air dry it, I just don’t have the patience.
CA8C8F64-792D-40B2-8829-1E6978649C83.jpeg

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
I have had the TCU out and open for two days now and just tested it only to find it is still turning on by itself. I used a hair dryer for a minute or two as well. Seems like if moisture had gotten in there it would of dried by now. I’ll give it some more time and ride a different bike for now.

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
What happens when you plug in to charge? That will power the bike off. Actually opening the port door will do that. I’m wondering if a good charge would reset/reboot the system? Just drawing for ideas here that’s all.

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
Last winter I had some water/snow problems, but it would not turn on. Here my
- putting the TUC in rice (work with an iPhone)
- take off the motor case where the power connector is
- use my wife hairdryer
This worked one or two times.

But at the end LBS had to replace the motor back to battery lead cable.

Last edited:

rs4kev

Oct 1, 2018
Darkest Dorzet
I’ve had the same problem. Bike won’t switch off so had to disconnect the battery all the time. Tried all the usual fixes but no change. Bike worked fine for several months after this but TCU recently replaced which cured it. Good luck.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As above the most likely cause is the battery to motor cable. A lot of 2020 Levos were still fitted with the v2 cable and us 2019 owners know it only takes a bout 9 months for it to break. The v3 cable was redesigned to prevent the motor end plug from cracking open and to improve the sealing of the cable at both ends. There is no way a rainstorm is going to get water into the TCU. The TCU can get wet in 2 scenarios. First, you wash the bike upside down. Water goes down the head tube and into the top tube. Second you wash the bike with a strong water jet/pressure washer which can force water between the TCU and the top tube ( sideways force of water)........there is no seal between the TCU and top tube but rain hitting the TCU from above will not get into the TCU or Top tube.
The 3 other areas of vulnerability of the Levo to water ingress and subsequent potential electrical problems are :-
1. Water getting into the motor covers from the chainstay area..........that is only a problem if the motor casing is also full of trail debris to hold that water, otherwise it merely drains out of the hole in the bottom of the casing.
2. Water hitting the cables behind the shock ( again more likely when washing the bike than in a rainstorm). That water can then run down the cables to the area in the motor cover where the TCU cable etc connects into the motor PCB.
3. The charging plug/ rosenberger battery connection.

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
As above the most likely cause is the battery to motor cable. A lot of 2020 Levos were still fitted with the v2 cable and us 2019 owners know it only takes a bout 9 months for it to break. The v3 cable was redesigned to prevent the motor end plug from cracking open and to improve the sealing of the cable at both ends. There is no way a rainstorm is going to get water into the TCU. The TCU can get wet in 2 scenarios. First, you wash the bike upside down. Water goes down the head tube and into the top tube. Second you wash the bike with a strong water jet/pressure washer which can force water between the TCU and the top tube ( sideways force of water)........there is no seal between the TCU and top tube but rain hitting the TCU from above will not get into the TCU or Top tube.
The 3 other areas of vulnerability of the Levo to water ingress and subsequent potential electrical problems are :-
1. Water getting into the motor covers from the chainstay area..........that is only a problem if the motor casing is also full of trail debris to hold that water, otherwise it merely drains out of the hole in the bottom of the casing.
2. Water hitting the cables behind the shock ( again more likely when washing the bike than in a rainstorm). That water can then run down the cables to the area in the motor cover where the TCU cable etc connects into the motor PCB.
3. The charging plug/ rosenberger battery connection.

Thanks. I would agree about the TCU being a bit less likely culprit. It was bone dry in there when I opened it. I may try replacing the battery cable myself if this persists, for now I am leaving the battery door open/disconnecte.

Last edited:

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
So now the bike won’t turn on at all! Between the poor shock on the frame and these electrical issues I am becoming convinced there bikes are a POS.
I am not sure what my options are at this point but I am not happy about being out 5K+ for this thing.

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
I do. I can’t imagine what that will cost though. I am incredibly disappointed with this bike, I bought a specialized because they are a titan in the industry and I expected to own something that works.

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
i pulled open the motor cover to inspect the cable and for the most part things look good. However, the cable is still my starting point as I do not have continuity from one of the pins at the magnetic connection through to the internal connector. The pin my meter lead is next to does not ring through. I was glad to find there are no shorts from one pin to another.
The heat shrink is pulled away at the internal connector but it is sealed well without it so that seems good.

I’m done for tonight and I will have to start calling around tomorrow to sort this out. I doubt Specialized would send me a wiring diagram, if I can even get them on the phone.

70FD7757-A36A-4E43-8816-EC51BFFF1AB4.jpeg
94B8831E-7D6F-4BD2-B7C0-59688FDBD72E.jpeg
A0EC4D81-718F-4E6C-BFC1-5D8085C58BDB.jpeg

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Blow dry the battery cord with warm air for 10 - 15 mins and see if it works .
Common fault . Like Mikerb said . If blow dry works ; new lead on warranty for free .

I had my 2019 motor replaced . Didn`t change the cord . Had problems after rain . New power cord = no problems since .

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
i pulled open the motor cover to inspect the cable and for the most part things look good. However, the cable is still my starting point as I do not have continuity from one of the pins at the magnetic connection through to the internal connector. The pin my meter lead is next to does not ring through. I was glad to find there are no shorts from one pin to another.
The heat shrink is pulled away at the internal connector but it is sealed well without it so that seems good.

I’m done for tonight and I will have to start calling around tomorrow to sort this out. I doubt Specialized would send me a wiring diagram, if I can even get them on the phone.

View attachment 61165 View attachment 61166 View attachment 61167
There is no connection on that. Working on your pic of the battery end plug and looking at the motor end plug with the small pins on the top row.............................Top right=pin3 Top left = Pin4 Bottom right=Pin 1 Bottom left= not connected. ( the 3 connections are presumably 12v pos and 12v neg and ground.
It is however the V2 power cable which most have had trouble with. The issue with it is that the cable is very stiff and puts a lot of strain on the motor end cap and cable connection. In the worst cases the D plug end cap splits, in less severe cases the seal between the cable and the D plug allows water ingress.
If you can get a secure enough connection with your multi meter I suggest you try the continuity tests whilst bend the cable at its entry to the D shaped motor end cap. It may be a broken wire or soldered joint that is only separated when the cable is installed and pressure is applied to the cap and cable.

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
Just a quick update. The bike went from not turning on or doing anything at all, to turning itself on and off randomly. When I first receonnected the battery the TCU flashed red and blue like police lights ( see Video ) for about 15 seconds and then turning on.

The bike is rideable for now, at least it was still turning on as I typed this. For now, I have a timeslot with the local shop for them to try and get at least the cable replaced via warranty. The shop is a month out with scheduling so hopefully the bike will limp through until then.

Mikerb, thanks for the info that was very helpful.

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
This is been an active and interesting thread, thanks for updating. I had the flashing police lights as well with my damp TCU. I tried to attach a small video clip but I don’t think this forum accepts them. Glad to hear you booked in the shop appt, only so much DIY you can do without parts.

1rider

May 2, 2021
Cape Ann
A quick revisit to this thread for info purposes.

I have not been caught in a downpour since this occurred and have only been in some light rain. I never wound up changing anything after the bike started working again and it has performed without issue since for many miles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles