Levo Gen 2 Transporting by Towbar - Rain damage?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I was thinking recently when transporting the Levo by towbar on the motorway rack driving at 80mph, is there chance of rain damage?

Is this the equivelant to spraying the electrical componants with a high-powered pressure washer ?

In that case, If I've driven somewhere far, finish a ride and it starts raining, I'm screwed?

Swiss_Rider

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
Take a look here for some info. not very conclusive. I don’t think rain equals a high powered pressure washer

i always use the motor wrap (see the above thread) - drove in very heavy rain for 3 hours a few times already. No issues at all.

3dp

Aug 26, 2020
Stalyvegas
Depends what car you have - have our Levo’s on a Thule on the back of a Range R - it sucks up the road muck at any speed but it’s not a pressure washer per se but if you can wrap the back (or at least bag the drive train) that’s a +

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Started p issing down with rain when I was riding yesterday evening. I took the front wheel off the bike and managed to fit it in the back of the car for the drive home. It wasn't too much of a PITA.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Your mileage may vary, but I've never had an issue. On my vehicles (SUV and truck) I've always assumed there's an aerodynamic dead zone behind the vehicle that limits the amount of direct blasts from water and such.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
The problem with the covers is that most water and dust comes up under the car anyway.
The covering of the engine seems like a bad idea. Maybe some tape on the TCU?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I pushed last year to approx. 6000 km of the Alps emtb on tow bar, rain, wind and storm, and this year, 3500 km North-Norway, also raining some days. Without any cover and battery attached to bike.
There have been no problems

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I pushed last year to approx. 6000 km of the Alps emtb on tow bar, rain, wind and storm, and this year, 3500 km North-Norway, also raining some days. Without any cover and battery attached to bike.
There have been no problems

Well I think that just about proves that it doesn't damage the bike then!

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
What about Driving on salty motorways in Winter ?

I assume if it's dry then it's not a problem, but if it's wet then maybe some of that could get sprayed onto the bike and get into the electronics?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
This all depends on the aerodynamics of your vehicle. A well designed saloon car ( easy to tell because the rear screen will not have a wiper!) will probably send an airstream...(wet airstream if raining) along the roof, down the rear window and shear off the top of the boot. That may or may not be good depending the position of the bike in relation to the boot height. A poorly designed car aerodynamically....hatchback/estate....will send that airstream along the roof, down the back of the car and create a vortex just about where the bike is. Thats why the back window and back of the vehicle gets plastered! So that will also plaster the bike. Rather than trying to wrap the bike you might be better seeing how you can better channel the airstream, or fitting a full cover on the bike. On a hatch or estate, an aerofoil on the end of the roof would help...some have them fitted as standard. Better still sort a way to carry the bike inside the vehicle......or get with the programme and buy a van!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles