Levo Gen 2 Hitch rack transport during rain

rockcypher

Jan 28, 2020
USA
Has anyone experienced issues with bike after encountering rain while on hitch rack? Recently bought the wife a specialized Vado, so now I have twice the risk of issues occurring. We are in the midst of monsoon season here in the Rocky Mountains, so it’s an issue of when, not if, regarding rain. Thanks

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I have a Thule Velospace XT3 and rain hasn’t been an issue. Have driven two hour journeys in rain with my 2020 Levo Comp on there and no issues. Just not move the battery-motor connection while dripping wet. I did recently have a motor replacement but it was supposedly because of the torque sensor.

Swiss_Rider

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
Same here, velospace xt3, drove recently in the Alps under heavy rain for 3 hours (including highway segments at 130 km/h) - no damage. As additional protection I used a motor plastic wrap (See photo) just to avoid direct splashes - it’s not waterproof but maybe it helped

DCB160FA-FE09-4F77-A4BD-F34280D9D197.jpeg

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Same here, velospace xt3, drove recently in the Alps under heavy rain for 3 hours (including highway segments at 130 km/h) - no damage. As additional protection I used a motor plastic wrap (See photo) just to avoid direct splashes - it’s not waterproof but maybe it helped

View attachment 36496
Looks like water could run down the down-tube and collect in the bag, soaking the motor.

Swiss_Rider

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
it s a fair point, though I noticed after the trip that No water had collected inside the bag. It was just wet mostly on the outside. My intention was not to avoid direct rain on the motor rather large splashes that the car causes by driving over pools of water or very wet segments. That would also soak the engine significantly.

any other option?
is the best solution just to drive with the bike fully exposed?

Looks like water could run down the down-tube and collect in the bag, soaking the motor.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I don't know. I took a 5-week camping trip last year with my old acoustic bike on a hitch rack and I hated it getting rained on. I plan to do more traveling with the ebike and thought about getting a motorcycle cover for it.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I always hated carrying bikes on roofs or the back of cars. Often on hot sunny days, or dusty roads, or wet muddy roads. With bikes on the rear I was always conscious of getting rear ended. I was lucky enough to find a cheap van owned by an older woman :ROFLMAO:, that didn't have many km, but was mostly neglected. Spent some time and not much money on it - loved it ever since. I don't have to take off wheels, it's under cover from the elements, and the van is awesome on trips with me and my partner, two bikes, spares, all sorts of gear. I am very impressed with how others get their bikes into relatively small cars - which is what a lot of people seem to do. They take one or two wheels off and load them into the back of hatchbacks!

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
... I am very impressed with how others get their bikes into relatively small cars - which is what a lot of people seem to do. They take one or two wheels off and load them into the back of hatchbacks!
That's what I do. Can actually get my large frame Levo in our Prius with both wheels still on, although it's easier with the front wheel off. While possible, I wouldn't bother doing that with 2 bikes though.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There are lots of covers designed for hitch racks - personally I wouldn't carry a bike on hitch rack uncovered in bad conditions, aside form the rain all the crap shown up from the road is asking for trouble. Thule do one fo their racks

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 13.28.01.png

Swiss_Rider

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
Thule recommends to NOT use it on cars - it’s somewhere on the website. same advice from my Thule dealer. The cover in the picture Is for RV only.

I spent quite some time searching for a bike rain cover which can be *reliably* used on cars (SUVs or estate) and found none worthy. Would buy one immediately.

Also, in other threads, people discussed solutions to protect bikes on hitch racks from eg. rain. Several have mentioned that on cars, a big full cover - similar to the one in the picture- would create quite a lot of drag around it and the cover would soon be kaputt. I don’t have a firsthand account but it seems reasonable..

There are lots of covers designed for hitch racks - personally I wouldn't carry a bike on hitch rack uncovered in bad conditions, aside form the rain all the crap shown up from the road is asking for trouble. Thule do one fo their racks

View attachment 36578

Last edited:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I wonder if a passenger van would be good enough substitute for an RV. It seems like it would be much less wind hitting the bike.

Unicycle_DG

Sep 26, 2020
Kentucky
in other threads, people discussed solutions to protect bikes on hitch racks from eg. rain.
Might someone be so kind as to provide a link to said discussions? I've got to come up with a solution before I can order my 1up hitch rack.
Adding helpful link below to prove I'm doing my part in research.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles