Levo Gen 2 Hitch Racks

Sledder

Aug 7, 2020
WA
I have scoured this site and read a number of discussions on 2” hitch bike racks but have not found comments that fit my situation. Hoping someone can help me make a hitch rack decision. I will be carrying two bikes XL Turbo Levo and Med Turbo Levo. The rack will be mounted in a 2” receiver on a Jeep 4dr while the Jeep is being towed behind an RV. It appears only a few racks claim to be rated to be used on an RV. Not sure why only a few claim to be RV hitch rated, possiblly the length of vehicle and the added porpoising stress when traveling. So far I have been researching the 1up or possibly Kuat unless someone has another option. If I do order the 1Up I would like to know what accessories 1up users suggest also buying from 1up to add to the system.
Thanks

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
I got a Saris MTR 2-bike rack for a 2 inch hitch receiver. Pricey but worth it. Love it and it fits the new longer wheelbase mountain bikes. Pretty heavy to lug around but real easy to get bikes on and off of. Before that I had a Kuat Sherpa. It was OK but my Santa Cruz Megatower was too big to fit. I just think the Saris is an overall better rack. I like that it secures the bike using the tires and not the frame or forks.

Sledder

Aug 7, 2020
WA
Wow thanks for the quick replies. I will research the SpltRail and Saris. A quick look at the Saris it looks a lot like the 1up.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
On my second Kuat. I haven’t found anything better. You may prefer the 1up. They are your only real choices.
IMG_5487.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg
View attachment 44942

Last edited:

Sledder

Aug 7, 2020
WA
The Kuat looks great unfortunately for my use on the back of my extended hitch truck camper or on my Jeep towed behind camper it may not be an option. Both the Kuat and Saris MTR specs state they are not for use behind an RV. My use is slightly different then the normal motorhome (RV) but I believe would still be considered RV use. As Grantini said I may only have the 1up as an option. Would like to find someone that has used the 1up behind an RV or on the back of car towed behind RV.

mazukea

Feb 1, 2020
Hawaii
1Up. Its been on the back of my truck for nearly 4 years. My truck has never been garaged kept. Its always outside in the weather. The rack still looks in great shape. There is nothing on the rack that will rust, corrode, or rot. It made a believer of me. In fact, even one of my friends is getting one now after seeing how well it has held up on my truck.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
1Up. Its been on the back of my truck for nearly 4 years. My truck has never been garaged kept. Its always outside in the weather. The rack still looks in great shape. There is nothing on the rack that will rust, corrode, or rot. It made a believer of me. In fact, even one of my friends is getting one now after seeing how well it has held up on my truck.

Same with my Kuat

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I have scoured this site and read a number of discussions on 2” hitch bike racks but have not found comments that fit my situation. Hoping someone can help me make a hitch rack decision. I will be carrying two bikes XL Turbo Levo and Med Turbo Levo. The rack will be mounted in a 2” receiver on a Jeep 4dr while the Jeep is being towed behind an RV. It appears only a few racks claim to be rated to be used on an RV. Not sure why only a few claim to be RV hitch rated, possiblly the length of vehicle and the added porpoising stress when traveling. So far I have been researching the 1up or possibly Kuat unless someone has another option. If I do order the 1Up I would like to know what accessories 1up users suggest also buying from 1up to add to the system.
Thanks

I have the 1Up HD on my wrangler, you will want to get the hitch extender to clear the spare tire. However, there is still not enough room to open the back window with a bike loaded unless you tilt the bike. I'm also planning on adding a spare tire relocation bracket to raise the spare up a bit more.

Overall its a great rack, lots of capacity which is what I was looking for because of a 56# haibike and well, the ride of the wranger is a bit bumpier than an SUV. The claimed capacity was higher than the other racks I could find on the market. I now have a Levo SL less to worry about with the weight now.

Sledder

Aug 7, 2020
WA
Shinn thanks for the info about the 1Up on a Jeep, sounds like the way to go for my application is the 1Up. My JK also has the stock spare tire on the rear. From the 1Up site it looks like the 1Up Super Duty would be the one to handle my 2 Levo Comps. You mention the tilt function, will the Jeep rear window open when the loaded rack is tilted down? How long of a hitch stinger extension did you need to use?

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
My extension is 12.25" overall - Ordered from 1UP Make sure you order all the locks you will want as they won't match the keys if you order more of them later.

8" or so when inserted in the receiver. Barely gets past the spare tire, I've thought of looking for a longer extension.

I'd recommend getting the extension with a bolt as it really helps tighten it up, I also had one of our shop guys weld a few tacks onto the top which I ground down until it would just barely fit. This also helps tighten up the fit.

Receiver hitch is from Quadratec on a 2015 JK 2-Door which is my fourth wrangler.

When tilted with a bike on the gate opens a bit, but not a lot. Window will not open at all.

Tilted with no bike the end gate opens a fair amount but window still won't open. I discovered that if you raise/open the PS tire holder and tilt the rack you can get both fully open to access the back.

Relocating the spare higher will not do much if you have a bike on the rack.

I have the stock rims and tires on it still, will put 33x12 on in the spring though. I run a soft top in the summer, which one would think it would make it better but its actually worse in some ways.

Overall I've been super happy with the rack - if Wranglers had a hatch back I think it would be perfect.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles