E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
To answer the questions, yes you can put 29 wheels in the rear without issue

Untitled by Sales Punk, on Flickr

To balance out the bike the fork is a 29/170 setup

To answer the next question, the BB height is not a hinderance at all. Mine measures out at 361 or about 7 mm higher than my Enduro. The bike is insanely fast every where. We ride a lot of very steep and raw natural trails along with some big jump lines and the bike absolutely slays. Getting to those trails is done via steep technical singletrack climbs with lots of tight switchbacks. Again, no issues with the 29 wheels. Happy to answer any specific questions about the changes.
How's the flip-chip? Low or High?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah, that clearance'd be a joke for a UK winter (more of a black comedy really).
mud clearance is a big issue with a lot of US bikes sold here. EVIL being among the most retarded I've ever encountered
I don't ever run larger than a 2.4 rear tyre.
Thanks for posting pics. Although this time of year I'm kinda jealous of all that magic brown powder sprinkled on your chainstays. ;)

RSVB4

Apr 27, 2020
Ca
@Salespunk i know you’re a big fan of your Enduro. How does your modded out 29er kenevo ride compared to your enduro? I rode my buddy’s enduro and got along with it great. I’m 6’6 and can’t get my hands on a XXL Bullit to save my life and ebikes that actually fit me are rare to come by. My LBS is getting some Kenevos in next 2 months and thinking about making it a full 29er just because it’s one of the only Ebikes that can fit me. How did the geo change such and reach and stack change do you know?

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
@SalespunkMy LBS is getting some Kenevos in next 2 months and thinking about making it a full 29er just because it’s one of the only Ebikes that can fit me. How did the geo change such and reach and stack change do you know?

Reach and stack will remain the same, bottom bracket and stand over height will increase a bit.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Reach and stack will remain the same, bottom bracket and stand over height will increase a bit.
Original Marzocchi Bomber Z1 180 27,5 has Axle to crown 562
Fox 36 29" 170 has axle to crown 577
29" wheel and 2.4-2.5 tire brings the height more by about 16-20 (correct, if it's wrong)
Totals about 30-35 mm

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Original Marzocchi Bomber Z1 180 27,5 has Axle to crown 562
Fox 36 29" 170 has axle to crown 577
29" wheel and 2.4-2.5 tire brings the height more by about 16-20 (correct, if it's wrong)
Totals about 30-35 mm

You”re correct sir, I forgot the fork will be replaced. Reach will be a bit shorter and stack higher.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Trying out my 29er wheels and it’s fast
I think I will go away from mullet setup for now and go with 29er f/r
1E5649DC-688F-4C97-9FFF-B10FDE238406.jpeg

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
Rydeezie, nice looking rig. What size is it and do you have the weight, please?
Thanks
It’s an s4
I’m guessing it’s 55-56 pounds. I don’t have cushcore on this wheelset so it rides lighter than my mullet setup with the inserts. I will try to weigh it this weekend

i can say it does handle well for a big bike. On first test ride, my strava times on favorite downhill sections match my fastest times

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
29er/29er with triple clamp is my favorite set up so far. I’ve tried them all. It turns better than a mullet set up. Big travel 29er is a lot of bike for my local trails but good to have for the places i take it during the weekends.

i can still turn on switchbacks. There’s 2 I can’t clear even with a single crown. So not much of a drawback.

It’s almost too stable at high speed lol. It feels like I’m going slower but actually going faster. I think i need the speed limiter removed. I find myself reaching top speed too often and needing more

FCCDF451-DC0B-49AB-B03E-38067D6E8CB8.jpeg

Wic_ed1

Oct 4, 2020
New Zealand
What travel 38's are you running? And hows it compare to the 40's?
Hi Rob, I’m running 170mm. It’s more agile on ascents with tight switch backs now the forks aren’t hitting the frame. They really shine in tight technical trails, but no noticeable difference on smooth flowing trails. Small bump sensitivity has improved making the tracks I mainly ride feel smoother, this could be a combination of bigger wheels and more flex in the fork.

On the flip side, big high speed breaking bumps are harsher under heavy breaking, I think this is because it’s higher up in the stroke, so in a stepper part of the progressive spring rate curve if that makes sense? I’m thinking about trying a secus to see if that’ll help since they’re meant to make things more linear, but that’s probably only 5-10% of the tracks I ride.

Overall a better riding experience. You won’t find me putting 40’s back on my bike anytime soon unless I plan on doing red bull rampage, which is never happening :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob, I’m running 170mm. It’s more agile on ascents with tight switch backs now the forks aren’t hitting the frame. They really shine in tight technical trails, but no noticeable difference on smooth flowing trails. Small bump sensitivity has improved making the tracks I mainly ride feel smoother, this could be a combination of bigger wheels and more flex in the fork.

On the flip side, big high speed breaking bumps are harsher under heavy breaking, I think this is because it’s higher up in the stroke, so in a stepper part of the progressive spring rate curve if that makes sense? I’m thinking about trying a secus to see if that’ll help since they’re meant to make things more linear, but that’s probably only 5-10% of the tracks I ride.

Overall a better riding experience. You won’t find me putting 40’s back on my bike anytime soon unless I plan on doing red bull rampage, which is never happening :)
Thanks mate, helps a lot.

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
Hey guys, I am running my S3 Kenevo in Mullet (180mm f/r) now. IMO much better than stock. But I am considering now going 29 f/r as it might turn better (steeper HA).

Does a 29er fit in the rear of an S3 with a 2,5 Maxxis tire? I read somewhere that a 29er in the rear might have clearance issues with the saddle "on smaller sizes".

BTW EXT e-storia works like a charm - strongly recommend it. ;-)

2022-04-24 14.16.10.jpg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hey guys, I am running my S3 Kenevo in Mullet (180mm f/r) now. IMO much better than stock. But I am considering now going 29 f/r as it might turn better (steeper HA).

Does a 29er fit in the rear of an S3 with a 2,5 Maxxis tire? I read somewhere that a 29er in the rear might have clearance issues with the saddle "on smaller sizes".

View attachment 90839
No problems with a 29/2.5 maxxis. I used to run 2.6 butchers without an issue. Might be a problem in muddy condition’s picking up sticks and stones though as the clearance is close. I ran it also with a Sicomtb guard and it had around 5 to 10mm clearance. In the end I chose to run 2.3 tires as they were more than enough for what I needed.
Bike rolls much nicer on 29s

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel

View attachment 90839
I have had the EXT e-storia for a few months on my kenevo and all I can say is Amazing! Kinda ruined me riding stock suspension probably forever at this point.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California

View attachment 90839
On your Storia are you running the 62.5 mm stroke or 65 mm? I have a Storia in 62.5 mm that I'm wanting to try on my Kenevo.

Also what is your flip chip position?

Thanks,

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
On your Storia are you running the 62.5 mm stroke or 65 mm? I have a Storia in 62.5 mm that I'm wanting to try on my Kenevo.

Also what is your flip chip position?

Thanks,

I am running the 62.5mm. With the Mullet setup I preferred the high position. With the 29er f/r I was testing a lot with different setups but ended up with the low position as overall the best configuration for me.

Andre83

Apr 20, 2020
Luxembourg
I am running the 62.5mm. With the Mullet setup I preferred the high position. With the 29er f/r I was testing a lot with different setups but ended up with the low position as overall the best configuration for me.
Hello. Anybody having had issues with the EXT shock in the Kenevo? Does the manufacturer clesr the shock for Kenevo? Afraid for potential warranty issues.
Cheers
Andre

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
Hello. Anybody having had issues with the EXT shock in the Kenevo? Does the manufacturer clesr the shock for Kenevo? Afraid for potential warranty issues.
Cheers
Andre
In my country (Austria) the official EXT distributor/dealer has installed it on several Kenevos and Levos. So should be fine but I recommend talking to the distributor/dealer in your country.

Wic_ed1

Oct 4, 2020
New Zealand
Hello everyone. Has anyone found the rear-end feeling like it hooks up on medium to high speed small bumps after converting to a 29er? It's a sensation that's like the high-speed compression is dialled right up, and that first quick hit is really stiff and then settles after the first bump once its further through the stroke. It's almost like someone momently grabs the back wheel so you feel like it could potentially send you over the bars.

I've done zero justice explaining it, fingers crossed someone understands me :)

Thanks

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Hello everyone. Has anyone found the rear-end feeling like it hooks up on medium to high speed small bumps after converting to a 29er? It's a sensation that's like the high-speed compression is dialled right up, and that first quick hit is really stiff and then settles after the first bump once its further through the stroke. It's almost like someone momently grabs the back wheel so you feel like it could potentially send you over the bars.

I've done zero justice explaining it, fingers crossed someone understands me :)

Thanks
I feel my27.5 kenevo hooks up badly on bumps (roots) with an ohlins ttx22. Great on single big hits but terrible on repeated hits.
I only really noticed how much when I recently bought another bike with a ext arm shock and that felt so much better. Yes different suspension design and all that but still.
Making enquiries with the local suspension shop to have the internal compression tune lowered.

What shock do you have?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles