2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
Picked up my Carbon Comp today only ridden about 5 miles but seems to keep lagging when riding especially in turbo mode ???
Demo ‘ed the 2018 Carbon and this didn’t seem to do this , seemed more fluid ? Any ideas ???
But it’s a lovely looking beast ?

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Picked up my new Expert Thursday afternoon. Very nice looking but definitely not as quiet as our 2018 comp carbon, the suspension is superb but since I very recently put some Roval carbon 29 wheels on the 2018 bike (clad with 2.35 Sch MM) there is now very little noticeable difference between them in ride, handling and agility. Yes I have a bigger battery but the 2018 is now lighter. Haven’t noticed any difference with the new motor and if I’m brutally honest I still love the 2018 just as much and it’s quieter.
It is still early days and I need to ride the 2019 more.
If you want to save some serious dollars get a good 2018 and some quality 29 wheels with some skinnier tyres. ???

Hope to see you out there!?‍♀️??

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
It’s carbon. If they can incorporate a swat box they can make airflow vents starting at thr front of the headtube that’s goes along the battery and exhausts behind the engine. Not a lot of mud hits the front of the headtube. A couple snap on mesh vent covers with a catchment at each end for a quick cleaning and done . I’m sure they’ll be sending out those new frames shortly ?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Flipped mine over to remove the battery. It was a dry ride today and on marked trails and it still looked like this. Off piste ride tomorrow. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this survives a UK winter.
20181027_174850.jpeg

albert1

Sep 13, 2018
barcelona
Picked up my new Expert Thursday afternoon. Very nice looking but definitely not as quiet as our 2018 comp carbon, the suspension is superb but since I very recently put some Roval carbon 29 wheels on the 2018 bike (clad with 2.35 Sch MM) there is now very little noticeable difference between them in ride, handling and agility. Yes I have a bigger battery but the 2018 is now lighter. Haven’t noticed any difference with the new motor and if I’m brutally honest I still love the 2018 just as much and it’s quieter.
If you want to save some serious dollars get a good 2018 and some quality 29 wheels with some skinnier tyres. ???

Thanks for the info, from a 2018 owner doubting with new 2019 model

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Flipped mine over to remove the battery. It was a dry ride today and on marked trails and it still looked like this. Off piste ride tomorrow. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this survives a UK winter. View attachment 6852
I really can't see how this ISN'T going to be a problem. This picture alone is ringing alarm bells with me, I would like to see another one after your off piste ride today. I ride Queen Elizabeth Country Park in Hampshire on a weekly basis and it is notorious for throwing up all types of mud, crud, clay etc. I'm not sure having holes in these areas is going to work for me. Would look forward to you keeping us updated with how you find it.

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia

Did you have any problems with dirt in the motor area on your 2018 model?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
no two
one about 4mm x 50 and the second larger about 8mm by 50mm (you can se the bolts behind)
with a flash light (bike reversed and cover open) it is clearly seen.
Could you take photos of what you are describing and post here please?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

Will you be keeping hold of the carbon comp 2018 or will you sell it in the near future and just have the 2019?

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I'm in california. The bike was from the first batch. The first few scratches are going to crush me.

Have you set up the mission control ap? I did this today and found the default settings (35/35,35/100,100/100 ) all correct with the exception of acceleration response which was at zero instead of 40. I had to find the code to synch the phone under the power switch on the top tube as there was no yellow sticker.

No I haven’t I will look at doing this today , thank you ?

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Did you have any problems with dirt in the motor area on your 2018 model?

Not noticed really yet....I only bought the 2018 just 6 weeks ago from Chris at Berkshire Cycles when I went to order the new 2019, (our first ebikes). It's second hand but mint condition, the previous owner already did the 160mm Debonair fork upgrade and put on decent Spec pedals. It's for my son and wife to share (the wife doesn't ride a lot) he's 6'1" now like me so we both ride size L. With dropper down the wife can also use for gentle XC rides :)

albert1

Sep 13, 2018
barcelona
In my case with the 2018 there are no problems with dirt in the motor, but just in case i made a protector but not for the dirt just for hits in techical uphills

Capture+_2018-10-28-09-36-00.png

Capture+_2018-10-28-09-35-48.png

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
It you have all the tools to do it, I would do it Pre wash. Grab some photos as well if you can ?
The left hand side (non drive side) should be very easy to do.
The crank arm has a self extracting bolt which will pull the crank arm off as you undo the bolt. This is normally ‘torqued’ on at well over 20Nm so you will need to give a bit of welly when you undo it anti clockwise.
If it is similar to my 2017 the motor cover will be held on with 3mm or 4mm Allen bolts which will be easy to undo.

The drive side will require other tools which you may not have. For now just pull off the left hand side to see what ‘uglies’ are lurking underneath ?

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Yes, the dual compound. 2.5 front and 2.4 rear ?
Rob, quick question, how did you attach the magnet of the speed sensor to the DT Swiss wheels. I assume you used the DT Swiss "Centerlock IS adapters" to attach the SRAM 6 bolt discs to the DT Swiss wheels. But I don't see how this could work with the original magnet...

If you found a solution please let me know :) Thx !!

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all,
Can someone take a few photos of the hole/slot/gap in question and post it on the forum please?

Unfortunately I do not have access to a 2019 bike and I want to see how big this hole/slot/gap is so I can hopefully work on a temporary/permanent fix in advanced of me getting this bike or if I can’t work out a fix I will probably have to cancel my current order.
I don't have one, but looking at the user manual: Fig 10.4 shows it best, on rear of motor there is a small bracket that joins outer motor casing to the 3rd (rear most) main mounting bolt hole of motor. Solution might be to replace that small bracket with one having a tall crest that extends up inside the frame -- to act as a slide to direct debris to the outside. Should be fairly easy to make yourself out of a piece of scrap sheet metal.
TurboLevoFig10-4.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was driving back from Hampshire earlier in the rain on the M3, and saw someone with a new yellow base Levo on the back of their car, and all i could think is there must be a lot of water getting chucked in there!

r23ves

Oct 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Could you take photos of what you are describing and post here please?

This is the best photo I could take of the largest gap. I would have thought when debris enters from there it doesn't have an easy passage to exit through the bottom drain hole.

Bike upside down
IMG_20181028_122815~2.jpg

With torch inside motor casing
IMG_20181028_125548~2.jpg

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
This is the best photo I could take of the largest gap. I would have thought when debris enters from there it doesn't have an easy passage to exit through the bottom drain hole.

Bike upside down
View attachment 6864
With torch inside motor casing
View attachment 6865
Thanks very much for that (y)
Why, why, why would anyone put holes/gaps in a motor casing directly in line with a turning rear wheel......
Where did they think the water, mud, stones, pine needles, leaves and anything else would go that is attached to a spinning rear wheel :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: this is truly unbelievable and really annoying....
@Specialized Rider Care, could you comment on this please?

Koro

Sep 15, 2018
Germany
Thanks very much for that (y)
Why, why, why would anyone put holes/gaps in a motor casing directly in line with a turning rear wheel......
Where did they think the water, mud, stones, pine needles, leaves and anything else would go that is attached to a spinning rear wheel :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: this is truly unbelievable and really annoying....
@Specialized Rider Care, could you comment on this please?
same opinion on this...!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Probably because he is thinking the same as us and has had to go up the food chain for an answer!

I still reckon the gap is there for airflow for the battery/motor.

What i don't get is when developing any ebike, especially with a new motor, surely all the brands take it out in varying conditions, and then take out the motor to insepect and then make the relevant checks and further develop the design based off what they find.

I cant see how Specialized's turbo development centre in the alps didn't pick this up, no way they wouldn't have noticed it, so maybe they made a judgement call that in order to get the cooling, they had to compromise on the containment.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Could you ziptie a piece of innertube so it hangs down over the hole? Some sort of water deflector + MX foam would seem to solve the worst of the problem. I'm a bit dumbfounded they didn't address this in development. That slot is in the #1 place all mtbs collect crap.....

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
It's all gone very quiet from Specialized Rider Care......
Heard from reliable source, that this problem is already been brought to their attention and there is fix coming out soon. Probably new bracket, that will somehow obstruct debris entering the gap. Fingers crossed that they are really doing something.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles