2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

GunnyAmp

Aug 25, 2018
Gunnison, CO
Picking this up tomorrow, will report my take on noise but being my first EMTB I will only have the single experience as a point of reference. Super Excited!!

IMG_0184.jpg

Koro

Sep 15, 2018
Germany
You guys really want a bike which motor will be defect in approx. 1-2 years because incoming dirt is scrubbing it? :p

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Flipped mine over to check and there looks like a load of shit in there already after a ride. It's not looking good for a UK winter ahead

Hi all,
Can someone take a few photos of the hole/slot/gap in question and post it on the forum please?

Unfortunately I do not have access to a 2019 bike and I want to see how big this hole/slot/gap is so I can hopefully work on a temporary/permanent fix in advanced of me getting this bike or if I can’t work out a fix I will probably have to cancel my current order.

I managed to slow down and almost stop the ingress of dirt, mud and pine needles into my 2017 Levo by using motocross foam so hopefully something similar will work on the 2019.

Please be aware 2019 owners, the motor may be sealed but the IP rating is not very high (IP57) so water will eventually get in (like it did with my 2017) if exposed to water/damp over a period of time (3 months for my 2017). I kid you not, this is a serious issue and it would be good to get some feedback on this new problem from @Specialized Rider Care.

The picture below is my previous dead motor. The water got in via the plug socket attached to the motor.

2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread - EMTB Forums

88568E78-4462-41E3-A677-E47F36F729F1.jpeg

Last edited:

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
This is the photo of the hole. A small sponge can fix things to prevent dirt from entering the engine compartment. Waiting for Specialized to do its duty ...

Hole.jpg

Koro

Sep 15, 2018
Germany
Hi all,
Can someone take a few photos of the hole/slot/gap in question and post it on the forum please?

Unfortunately I do not have access to a 2019 bike and I want to see how big this hole/slot/gap is so I can hopefully work on a temporary/permanent fix in advanced of me getting this bike or if I can’t work out a fix I will probably have to cancel my current order.

I managed to slow down and almost stop the ingress of dirt, mud and pine needles into my 2017 Levo by using motocross foam so hopefully something similar will work on the 2019.

Please be aware 2019 owners, the motor may be sealed but the IP rating is not very high (IP57) so water will eventually get in (like it did with my 2017) if exposed to water/damp over a period of time (3 months for my 2017). I kid you not, this is a serious issue and it would be good to get some feedback on this new problem from @Specialized Rider Care.

The picture below is my previous dead motor. The water got in via the plug socket attached to the motor.

2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread - EMTB Forums

View attachment 6789
maybe we should start a new thread for this to get some feedback from spec? Rob, would you do so, please?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
This is the photo of the hole. A small sponge can fix things to prevent dirt from entering the engine compartment. Waiting for Specialized to do its duty ...

View attachment 6790
Thanks for the photo, how big is the hole roughly? It must be fairly big if an object like an entire leaf can make its way into the engine compartment area :eek:

The hole in my 2017 model is in a similar position but to the side and is only about 2cm x 2cm. You can see in the photos below what got in after just a few weeks of winter riding in my local forest. I believe the hole in the 2019 is much bigger so as you can image, I am really worried about this situation.

My current winter/wet riding maintenance procedure (with the fix of mx foam inserted) is that I still have to to pull the motor covers off every 2-3 rides/once a week and check what has got in and remove anything that has got in. I figured that the ‘new 2019 design’ would have taken water, mud, etc ingress into account and the new design would remove any holes....Clearly it has not..... which is why I am really disappointed because I thought the new model would require NO or very little water, mud, pine needles, leaves ‘removal maintenance’ :(

Without some sort of fix, owners of the 2019 models are in for much more than what you can see below in the wetter parts of the UK and globally due to I believe, a much bigger hole in the 2019 models....

PLEASE NOTE:
The photos below are all before I put the mx foam in place. The only thing that gets in now is ‘thinned out’ muddy water that mostly drains out through the sump hole ?

74BA2071-7A0E-424C-AB54-5931FFC00D92.jpeg

1A5A7EC8-6A0C-45E4-A9DD-7DEB3EA522D1.jpeg

BDC57290-5227-49AB-A0EE-F74999381A71.jpeg

76CED193-6070-4FF0-B6D1-C1DBD463428B.jpeg

D716FF13-EE24-4568-8D9C-37C7ABA06A9C.png

DE476DFD-F82A-4EDB-B9BB-C55E2DD90AE7.png

2E046F32-4B16-4519-8FB5-080FC1DC3A3B.png
67E3FB00-69CD-4E4A-82BE-1B79675DED38.png
C6DB3E20-A9A8-4DCD-B2D2-6B76B34B2383.png

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
maybe we should start a new thread for this to get some feedback from spec? Rob, would you do so, please?

Rob is away at the moment and to be honest I don’t think we should move it to another thread. @Specialized Rider Care are aware of this issue and I am sure they will respond soon. I also think that all new 2019 model owners need to be aware of what they are going to be in for if a fix is not forthcoming.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
That is really disgusting. :sick:
Shame on you Specialized,.
On the initial test stage of the bike, opening the covers would tell you immediately, that you have to change something, as the debris are entering the engine compartment. How this thing has been missed, boggles my mind. Protecting vital parts of the motor and motor itself would have to be priority and find the solution for cooling at the same time.
They are probably thinking, we will modify everything for 2020 models. :p You buy another one for 5-10K next christmas. :ROFLMAO:

Looking at this picture. I don't think that this hole will do any good for the cooling of the motor.
https://www.emtbforums.com/attachments/1a5a7ec8-6a0c-45e4-a9dd-7deb3ea522d1-jpeg.6793/
Motor have enough around and side contact point for passive cooling. Don't see that that 5x0.5 cm gap is that crucial for cooling. We might just use the tape and cover the damn thing.
From computer case experience you would need some kinda want to push hot air out of this gap.
In my opinion this gap doesn't do s...hit regarding cooling the motor, might just seal it up completely.
If they got it wrong regarding debris entering the compartment, they probably get it wrong if they meant that this will help hot air escaping the compartment.

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
I have to say this is starting to become a concern for me. I have a large deposit down on a 2019 Levo and I live on the South Coast of the UK where mud, sludge and leaves etc are common place for most of the year riding conditions.

I think we would all really appreciate some feedback from any UK 2019 owners if this is going to be a real problem going forward as I am not dropping £4000+ on a bike that can only be ridden in dry conditions.

Tmacca

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Australia
Mate of mine tried to order the 2019 levo, apparently not sending anymore to Aus until the motor noise problem is fixed. Shame to hear on such a styling bike.

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Also in regards to the Motor debris issue, it appears we are talking about more than one possible inlet, am I correct on this?

Back of the motor between the frame and the wheel, the hole made for apparent cooling of the motor and possibly the charging input socket??

Koro

Sep 15, 2018
Germany
Also in regards to the Motor debris issue, it appears we are talking about more than one possible inlet, am I correct on this?

Back of the motor between the frame and the wheel, the hole made for apparent cooling of the motor and possibly the charging input socket??
no just the hole

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is the opening as much for cooling of the battery as the motors?

When you integrate the battery tonauch an extent cooling becomes the main issue, which I why bikes like the Focus Jam and Hainike Flyonnhave the vents on the down tubes.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Today I received my new 2019 Levo Comp at my LBS in The Netherlands. It took about three weeks to supply the bike from Specialized to my dealer. I was worried it would take longer due to the noise issue delivery stop. It now seems the dealer supply has started again.

Regarding the noise, in eco mode you hardly are able to hear the motor at all. When the motor has to supply more power (trail or turbo for example) you will hear the motor but certainly not screaming or as loud as a Bosch motor. I think it's comparable with the 2018 model maybe slightly louder. Speaking for myself, the more quiet the better, but it's certainly on an acceptable level.

Regarding the hole where we have been talking about, I showed the forum pictures to my LBS. They were highly surprised. They told me that they have a dealer meeting at Specialized November 5th. I have forwarded them all the pictures and they promissed me to bring this topic to the table during the dealer meeting. I will keep you all posted.

Speaking about the bike itself, I was kind of surprised due to the size of the bike. I am 1,93m and required an XL frame. It's much longer then my previous Cube. (non assisted mtb) It is even so long that I wasn't able to fix it with the normal Thule bike carrier straps. Also the tyres where much wider then I expected. (almost fatty width) I rides completely different then my previous Cube it's really stable, quick and the power is really unbelievable. At some very steep rock garden hills I even needed to brake a few times where I normally hardly come to the top of these hills with a few km/h.

Tomorrow I am going for a longer ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles