2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
It’s the noise more than anything. This new Brose Mag S motor is considerably noisier than the 1.3 motor.
Bought it because it was supposed tombe quiet, hope they offer replacements or a fix. Thats is the first thing the shop pointed out before rolling out iwth it, they said its too much noise.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
I did not have the problem with the motor running when stop peddle. It keeps going for a second or two when I am going fast with alot pressure on the peddle and turbo mode . If I turn it down to eco or trail and cruise it seemed to shut off just fine. Most noise is from lower
gears
[/QUOTE]
iMotor keeps running on mine when I stop peddling, sometimes...

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Folks, does any of you possibly know if the 2019 Carbon Comp is coming with the SRAM XD driver body on the rear wheel?
I'm planning to replace the original cassette with the e-thirteen 9-46 trs+, but this only works with the XD driver body and unfortunately the datasheet doesn't show that information...
Quick feedback of one of the lucky Comp Carbon "owners" would be highly appreciated (y)

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Folks, does any of you possibly know if the 2019 Carbon Comp is coming with the SRAM XD driver body on the rear wheel?
I'm planning to replace the original cassette with the e-thirteen 9-46 trs+, but this only works with the XD driver body and unfortunately the datasheet doesn't show that information...
Quick feedback of one of the lucky Comp Carbon "owners" would be highly appreciated (y)

Spec sheet says it has PG-1130 cassette, which is for Shimano freehub.

"Compatible with non XD™ driver body"

Gatano

Sep 8, 2018
Italy

The comp carbon uses the SRAM PG-1130 cassette, so it's compatible only with shimano hubs, though you can change the hub, but it adds cost (cassette+hub+work is going to be 400$/€ more)... you should consider the expert with the 10-42 that is XD, if you don't change the cassette 10T is almost as good as 9T (10% loss) but it's stronger (e-bike torque will destroy the 9T sooner than a 10T) , in my opinion a comp carbon with a 9-46T is not as good as an expert with 10-42, every single component is better including the 700W/h battery (I repeat every single component , just do a comparison)... you can change the 10-42 once it's worn-out and if you need more speed change the 32T chaining with a 34T or a 36T, but I'll give a try to the 32T*10T combo first.

P.S. I own a comp carbon 2018 and I'm going to replace it with an expert 2019, so I already did my math as I also like the 9-46, but I'm not going to use it as I know 9T is probably not going to be strong enough the way I use the bike.

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
The comp carbon uses the SRAM PG-1130 cassette, so it's compatible only with shimano hubs, though you can change the hub, but it adds cost (cassette+hub+work is going to be 400$/€ more)... you should consider the expert with the 10-42 that is XD, if you don't change the cassette 10T is almost as good as 9T (10% loss) but it's stronger (e-bike torque will destroy the 9T sooner than a 10T) , in my opinion a comp carbon with a 9-46T is not as good as an expert with 10-42, every single component is better including the 700W/h battery (I repeat every single component , just do a comparison)... you can change the 10-42 once it's worn-out and if you need more speed change the 32T chaining with a 34T or a 36T, but I'll give a try to the 32T*10T combo first.

P.S. I own a comp carbon 2018 and I'm going to replace it with an expert 2019, so I already did my math as I also like the 9-46, but I'm not going to use it as I know 9T is probably not going to be strong enough the way I use the bike.

Thanks Gatano. I'm using the 9-46 on my 2018 Expert in combination with 34T chainring. Perfect combination for me and my last e-thirteen cassette lasted around 2.700 Km (all kind of terrain) which I think is quite OK.
And you're absolutely right, I usually would have gone for the 2019 Expert, but unfortunately I hate both color options, on the other hand I love the dark blue Comp (have seen them all live and after that ordered the Comp in darkblue).
I'm aware that this will cost me some extra money to switch out some of the components ;)

Last edited:

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
Think they will send us a new quiet motor to the shop for i stall exchange free.

Do you think there is any fix for that loud motor, maybe they will send replacements? Mine is louder than my friends bosch, I got it because brose is supposed to be quiet...

I hear through a LBS here in the UK that I wont get my bike until Specialized fix issues with the motors. Apparently they know what it is and aren't releasing bikes to customers who have them on order until they it fixed. They dont want customers getting a bad experience so I was told.

Gatano

Sep 8, 2018
Italy
Thanks Gatano. I'm using the 9-46 on my 2018 Expert in combination with 34T chainring. Perfect combination for me and my last e-thirteen cassette lasted around 2.700 Km (all kind of terrain) which I think is quite OK.
And you're absolutely right, I usually would have gone for the 2019 Expert, but unfortunately I hate both color options, on the other hand I love the dark blue Comp (have seen them all live and after that ordered the Comp in darkblue).
I'm aware that this will cost me some extra money to switch out some of the components ;)
Good to know the 9-46 is strong enough for you (I wish it could be strong enough also for me)... I already destroied an 11T and a 13T cog (and two chains) and I also have a 34T chainring :) someday I'll give a try to the 9-46T, but I'm sure it will not last long to the 580~600W of the motor plus my peak sprint power of 1500~1800w ... nowadays I go around with a chain breaker some spare missing links and a spare chain to be safe :sneaky:

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
Paint issues?

This is my bike after ONE local ride on forest fire roads:

IMG_2757.JPG
IMG_2758.JPG

Seems like the paint is very brittle.

Last edited:

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Good to know the 9-46 is strong enough for you (I wish it could be strong enough also for me)... I already destroied an 11T and a 13T cog (and two chains) and I also have a 34T chainring :) someday I'll give a try to the 9-46T, but I'm sure it will not last long to the 580~600W of the motor plus my peak sprint power of 1500~1800w ... nowadays I go around with a chain breaker some spare missing links and a spare chain to be safe :sneaky:
Yeah, I had the chain problem with my first Levo, but this is gone since they switched from the cheap SRAM to the KMC chains. You're still breaking the KMC ones as well? Damn you must have really strong legs then... :eek:(y)

Gatano

Sep 8, 2018
Italy
Yeah, I had the chain problem with my first Levo, but this is gone since they switched from the cheap SRAM to the KMC chains. You're still breaking the KMC ones as well? Damn you must have really strong legs then... :eek:(y)

I did broke both Sram and e-bike specific KMC chains, though the KMC lasts longer and I didn't broke the chains while changing gears, I did "just" while accelerating, same problem with the little cogs (11T 13T):cautious:

Gee68

Jul 30, 2018
England
Not happy - this is my bike after ONE local ride on forest fire roads:

View attachment 5896

View attachment 5897

Seems like the paint is very brittle.

Mine is way worse than that,about 100 miles in. :(
Infisiframe won't be available for a while either.
The way I look at it is it's going to get scratched and damaged so I try not to worry about it,still a bit heart breaking when you've spent the amount we have.

Gee68

Jul 30, 2018
England
Mine is way worse than that,about 100 miles in. :(
Infisiframe won't be available for a while either.
The way I look at it is it's going to get scratched and damaged so I try not to worry about it,still a bit heart breaking when you've spent the amount we have.
Actually thinking about it I’m going to ring Spech dealer in the morning.
I have two other bikes,hardtail cube and a FS Trek with at least a couple of thousand miles on each(and that’s being very conservative)and after inspecting both tonight(both six year old bikes) neither has the damage to the paintwork that my new bike is showing.
A bit gutting when it cost twice as much as my Trek. :(

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough

Munchingmolar

Sep 25, 2018
Aberdeenshire
I hear through a LBS here in the UK that I wont get my bike until Specialized fix issues with the motors. Apparently they know what it is and aren't releasing bikes to customers who have them on order until they it fixed. They dont want customers getting a bad experience so I was told.

I was going to buy a bike from stock here in Scotland, but as a first time owner, how can I tell if it’s one of the noisy ones ? As I have nothing to compare it to. They do have 2018 models too, so could I simply switch on, lift the rear wheels and run the pedals to compare? Or do they have to be under load as it were ?
Or do I get it and wait to see if there’s a recall or fix.

Adasb

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2018
New Zealand
Thanks for the info, I was waiting until the new ones came out.
Did you get Matte or Glossy? What looks better in real life?

Unfortunately they do not yet have a kit for the 2019 S works.
For last years kit, they combined matte and glossy for different parts of the frame...

hgray

Sep 24, 2018
SoCal USA
First off, thanks to everyone's work and posts on this forum. Super helpful specially for a first-time EMTB rider like me.

Finally pulled the trigger after months of reading posts, demo rides and trolling the web. Did a quick purchase from my helpful LBS this morning and took it for a quick spin at my local trails. I am a shorter rider at 5'3" and used to 27.5 wheels and there is definitely a learning curve when trying to do the same moves on a 29er (even more with the bigger tire volume). My trails have a lot of tight switchbacks both uphill and downhill with lots of rock gardens, drops, berms and jumps. Happy to report the suspension on this model is just fine. Handling is great - just have to do a bit more body twisting with that big wheel. Brake/tire combo are not bad at all even in loose dirt trails that we have here in SoCal. Still playful enough to allow you to chuck, hop, jump or just roll over stuff. Most importantly, for an old guy like me who's pushing 50 in a year with a health condition, the climbing is awesome. On tight uphill switchbacks, I quickly found out there is a need to find the right balance between body position, power and gear to keep on going up smoothly specially through rocky spots in order to have the front wheel planted. Didn't experience any cutoff in power though when trying to keep balance going up through big rocks (didn't touch default mission app settings). Didn't try the shuttle mode - seems turbo was plenty sufficient. I initially considered the carbon comp but I liked this color the best and I figure frame material wise, alloy will give me the right flex for the type of riding that I mostly do and the components aren't too far off from the carbon (plus savings to get new gear). I rode about 8 miles with a total climb of ~2500 ft for about 45 minutes - still had 92% battery life left. I had it in eco and trail most of the time with the occasional turbo as a last resort. I demoed the new E-Trance from Giant, new Trek 7 and Haibike Xduro 9. Also saw and considered Commencal's Meta Power and the Tazer from Intense - great build but screams "dirt bike" and I couldn't get over the huge down tube. For my style of riding/trails (all-mountain/a bit enduro), color preference and trying to blend in with the regular mtb crowd - this Levo Alloy Comp made most sense. Obviously, having a good LBS close by as well as excellent customer service from Spesh was also a factor. Hope this helps.

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
First off, thanks to everyone's work and posts on this forum. Super helpful specially for a first-time EMTB rider like me.

Finally pulled the trigger after months of reading posts, demo rides and trolling the web. Did a quick purchase from my helpful LBS this morning and took it for a quick spin at my local trails. I am a shorter rider at 5'3" and used to 27.5 wheels and there is definitely a learning curve when trying to do the same moves on a 29er (even more with the bigger tire volume). My trails have a lot of tight switchbacks both uphill and downhill with lots of rock gardens, drops, berms and jumps. Happy to report the suspension on this model is just fine. Handling is great - just have to do a bit more body twisting with that big wheel. Brake/tire combo are not bad at all even in loose dirt trails that we have here in SoCal. Still playful enough to allow you to chuck, hop, jump or just roll over stuff. Most importantly, for an old guy like me who's pushing 50 in a year with a health condition, the climbing is awesome. On tight uphill switchbacks, I quickly found out there is a need to find the right balance between body position, power and gear to keep on going up smoothly specially through rocky spots in order to have the front wheel planted. Didn't experience any cutoff in power though when trying to keep balance going up through big rocks (didn't touch default mission app settings). Didn't try the shuttle mode - seems turbo was plenty sufficient. I initially considered the carbon comp but I liked this color the best and I figure frame material wise, alloy will give me the right flex for the type of riding that I mostly do and the components aren't too far off from the carbon (plus savings to get new gear). I rode about 8 miles with a total climb of ~2500 ft for about 45 minutes - still had 92% battery life left. I had it in eco and trail most of the time with the occasional turbo as a last resort. I demoed the new E-Trance from Giant, new Trek 7 and Haibike Xduro 9. Also saw and considered Commencal's Meta Power and the Tazer from Intense - great build but screams "dirt bike" and I couldn't get over the huge down tube. For my style of riding/trails (all-mountain/a bit enduro), color preference and trying to blend in with the regular mtb crowd - this Levo Alloy Comp made most sense. Obviously, having a good LBS close by as well as excellent customer service from Spesh was also a factor. Hope this helps.

View attachment 5907

View attachment 5909
What did you think of the Giant e-trance?

hgray

Sep 24, 2018
SoCal USA
What did you think of the Giant e-trance?
It was great going uphill with that Yamaha motor - there are instances though where it seems too much even with the lowest setting. Downhill - it feels planted but not as playful. Perfect for folks who want to go fast on flowy trails and just roll over anything as opposed to jumps and hops. Looks wise, it's got a huge round down tube where the battery is housed...i feel it's too big.

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
Thanks for the info, I was waiting until the new ones came out.
Did you get Matte or Glossy? What looks better in real life?

Glossy, because the red is glossy.

Been trying to touch up my chips with the correct colour. Specialized don't do touch up sticks, so tried a couple of car touch ups and nail varnish, which were purchased by comparing to a picture of the bike on my phone.

They weren't even close. The human eye is incredibly good at spotting colour differences.

I then bought a couple of Humbrol modelling paints that seemed close, but with a view to mixing them to get a match. They were the 209 Fluorescent Fire Orange and the 220 Italian Red.

I added a few drops at a time of the red to the orange until it looked close by eye. Unfortunately, I should have stopped sooner, because I darkened the orange just a bit too much, otherwise it would be very close.

There is hope !

IMG_2757.JPG
IMG_2758.JPG
IMG_2759.JPG
IMG_2761.JPG
IMG_2762.JPG

Gee68

Jul 30, 2018
England
Glossy, because the red is glossy.

Been trying to touch up my chips with the correct colour. Specialized don't do touch up sticks, so tried a couple of car touch ups and nail varnish, which were purchased by comparing to a picture of the bike on my phone.

They weren't even close. The human eye is incredibly good at spotting colour differences.

I then bought a couple of Humbrol modelling paints that seemed close, but with a view to mixing them to get a match. They were the 209 Fluorescent Fire Orange and the 220 Italian Red.

I added a few drops at a time of the red to the orange until it looked close by eye. Unfortunately, I should have stopped sooner, because I darkened the orange just a bit too much, otherwise it would be very close.

There is hope !

View attachment 5934 View attachment 5935 View attachment 5936 View attachment 5937 View attachment 5938
Just been in touch with my LBS where I bought my bike from to order the Invisiframe and to book my first service.
I informed them of the paintwork problem and the noisy motor,and have been told to send photo's which will be forwarded on to Specialized.
If and when I get an answer i'll let you know the outcome,i'm not holding my breath. :(

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles