Levo Gen 2 2019 specialized levo ht motor "popping"

levo_9898

May 19, 2021
Brazil
Hey there good people,

My 2019 levo ht motor "pops" sometimes while riding, and it's often spontaneous and hard to predict when it'll happen. The sound is a strong POP coming from the motor area, not like a clicking or rubbing noise....

I can't seem to find a way to show the problem to my local bike dealer. That being the case, it's hard for them to evaluate what the issue is.

Does anyone happen to have videos showing motors "popping"?

Much appreciate the help.

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
Hey there good people,

My 2019 levo ht motor "pops" sometimes while riding, and it's often spontaneous and hard to predict when it'll happen. The sound is a strong POP coming from the motor area, not like a clicking or rubbing noise....

I can't seem to find a way to show the problem to my local bike dealer. That being the case, it's hard for them to evaluate what the issue is.

Does anyone happen to have videos showing motors "popping"?

Much appreciate the help.

If you have Mission Control, you can send a complete report to your dealer (See end of Diagnose Menu) to help troubleshooting the problem.

Hope this helps.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Please go into detail as to when you notice the pop. I.e. what position are the cranks in.
Similarly, does the pop occur when the bike is on or not?
Can you back pedal (spin the cranks backwards freely without engaging the spider/chainring.
And finally, have you removed the self extracting crank arms? It is a 8mm key you'll need.
Please kindly let us know ?

levo_9898

May 19, 2021
Brazil
If you have Mission Control, you can send a complete report to your dealer (See end of Diagnose Menu) to help troubleshooting the problem.

Hope this helps.

Thx! for the tip!

I actually already did that... Even took the bike to the dealer already, but they still couldn't find any issue.

levo_9898

May 19, 2021
Brazil
Please go into detail as to when you notice the pop. I.e. what position are the cranks in.
Similarly, does the pop occur when the bike is on or not?
Can you back pedal (spin the cranks backwards freely without engaging the spider/chainring.
And finally, have you removed the self extracting crank arms? It is a 8mm key you'll need.
Please kindly let us know ?
It only happens when the bike is on. I can pedal backwards without any noise. It happens in any crank. Haven't tried removing any arms though...

levo_9898

May 19, 2021
Brazil
Yes, popping and cracking can precede the failure of a sprag clutch bearing.
Thx for the tip!
My local dealer won’t give me the motor replacement though because they insist it isn’t faulty ?.
Would you by chance know of any videos showing this popping? It would strengthen my case somewhat I believe.

levo_9898

May 19, 2021
Brazil
Thx for the tip!
My local dealer won’t give me the motor replacement though because they insist it isn’t faulty ?.
Would you by chance know of any videos showing this popping? It would strengthen my case somewhat I believe.
I already tried recording my own bike… but since I don’t have a GoPro and rely on my phone for the filming it’s impossible to be filming all the time I ride. And so far I’ve missed all the times the “popping” occurred

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Thx for the tip!
Sorry, we have loads of videos, screeching, whining, clacking, wheezing etc. but no popping ?‍

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Are you not able to put the Levo HT in a bike stand and simply rotate the cranks?
In addition, did the dealer inspect the bike (as in take to the back and check inside the motor cover)?
I'll be honest, I've not encountered this issue either (although I consider myself lucky to have not encountered any form of motor failure on my specialized eebs).
Process of elimination might be the best way forward.
Start by removing both cracks so you can clearly see whether any debris is caught in between the crank and the motor cover. If its clean, proceed to removing the left (non-driveside covers off to get to the motor. Again, check for any debris (external of the motor). If clean, proceed to remove the spider/chainring. You'll need specific tools but if you do not have them, ask your dealer to do this.

Essentially (from my own understanding of the Brose motor), their should be no component which would give off a popping noise. However, 'PLASTIC' when bent or pried can.
I could be wrong however, it is a possibility that the motor cover could have distorted which when pedaling, could give off a popping sound.

However, if the sound resembles more of a 'tapping' sound, then the Bearing Man's assessment is accurate and it is the early signs to your motor requiring a service.

Keep us posted @levo_9898
If nothing else, someone else may stumble on this thread and will be looking through it to see if there is a remedy to 'popping sound from levo motor'. ?

Duane

Dec 26, 2019
Cashmere
It sounds like we have the same problem. I've changed cassette, chain, chain ring, rear derailleur , now riding upgraded Industry nine hubs. Popping sound is still there, happens with motor on or off. I've heard this since the bike was new, now have about 3000 miles on it. Bike works perfect other then the popping noise, which I do feel in the peddles when it happens. Bikes a 2019 levo expert.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles