Levo Gen 2 2019 Levo Custom Build...from FSR to S-Works and beyond

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Hi guys, so it's NBD tomorrow! :cool: Super excited. First e-bike.

download (1).png

I'm a bit of a serial bike swapper, always interested in new bikes and tech. Afterall, it is my job!!

What i decided to do was get the base model and change up the spec to what i want, as there was no way i'm dropping £10k on an S-Works. Especially as i'm not even sure i'll keep it. :ROFLMAO: I'll be using my current bike as the donor for parts. The frame/shock are listed in the FS forum.

Intense Primer Factory Custom Build:
IMG_20180601_134339092.jpg

11.9kg with Pedals. Yes, i'm a weight weenie. Can't believe my next bike will probably be double that! :eek:

I built this bike using the lightest suitable parts I could get. As i ride 99% of the time at Cannock Chase, my backyard, so it's got to be able to pedal. When i first got it i felt like i was cheating it climbs that well and it's easily the best trail bike i've ridden. So why change? Knees! My knees are creaking and giving pain, so enter an ebike. I'll do anything to keep doing my brilliant job...MTB Coach.

Spec:
- 2018 Fox Factory 34 FIT4 Kashima 140
- Enve M60HV
- Sram Guide Ultimates (180/180)
- Renthal Carbon Fat Bar 35 & Renthal 35 50mm Stem
- Rainbow Ti bolts through out (headset/stem/brakes/bottle mount/suspension etc)
- NEXT R Carbon Cranks 170
- Fox Transfer Factory 150
- SDG Circuit Carbon Saddle
- SRAM XX1 Drivetrain and Shifter
- KMC SL Gold Chain
- HT Components ME03T Pedals

So i've got hundreds of questions, hopefully you knowledgeable lot can help... (y) and i'll keep this thread updated with pics, spec, changes etc.

I'll kick it off with...
- Can the RF NEXT R Cranks even fit on the Levo? I've not been able to find this out anywhere.

IMG_20170810_100639541.jpg

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
There is a pretty good chance that changing a bunch of components will invalidate your warranty, especially the seat post shim. Probably worth checking with the shop you are buying from.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Really?! Did not know that a lbs didn't mention it when discussing the shim. I better make some calls.

I don't understand why the warranty on the battery for example would be invalidated for running different fork or wheels. I've always done custom builds without issues. Not so much on my old enduro right enough. I'll report back.

Anyone else come across this?

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
There is a pretty good chance that changing a bunch of components will invalidate your warranty, especially the seat post shim. Probably worth checking with the shop you are buying from.
With Alu model, basically you need warranty only on motor and Battery.
Switching components have nothing to do with validating warranty. Maybe if you are going to fiddle with the crank and internals, that are connected to the motor.
Frames have individual 5 years warranty, motor and Battery 2 years. Other mechanical components, like on other bikes have all individual 1 year warranty or more. So for example if your shocks fail, you will get the warranty from Rockshox or Fox, etc. Same goes for Sram and Shimano components. Specialized will later claim warranty from manufacturer of the component that failed.
This is not a car. :ROFLMAO: If frame fails, it will be shipped to specialized and the bike will be stripped down. No retailer will send complete bike to claim warranty for motor or battery..

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Really?! Did not know that a lbs didn't mention it when discussing the shim. I better make some calls.

I don't understand why the warranty on the battery for example would be invalidated for running different fork or wheels. I've always done custom builds without issues. Not so much on my old enduro right enough. I'll report back.

Don't be spooked like that.
When mine gets here only frame, crank, motor and battery will stay the same... warranty void... o that makes me....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
dont see thats a problem specialized shim the 2018 enduros from 34.9 down to 30.9

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Somehow i don't think that the RF crank arms will work with the levo. The enve wheels are boost 110/148 right ? That will be one nice levo.
Yeah they're boost. I'm gonna see if I like the blue tomorrow, if I do, they'll get some nice custom matching decals. If not, I'll probably vinyl wrap the blue with orange. My fav colour and leave the current colour.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As long as you don't muck around with the frame, motor, battery or electrics i very much doubt you will have any warranty issues.

There are going to be some tastier crank choices coming on to the market over the next few months, i believe SRAM and Hope are bringing out some bling cranks for the brose, and there may well be some obscure german company already doing so

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Worth bearing in and the cranks on the LEVO are 165mm, and many people go shorter than that. You wont want to be putting longer cranks on

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
As long as you don't muck around with the frame, motor, battery or electrics i very much doubt you will have any warranty issues.

There are going to be some tastier crank choices coming on to the market over the next few months, i believe SRAM and Hope are bringing out some bling cranks for the brose, and there may well be some obscure german company already doing so
Sounds interesting. Think I'll leave the standard ones on and sell the next one's. They were probably too long anyway.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
You probably don't want to use your fox 34 at 140. At a minimum, get a 150 air shaft to keep stock geo. Ideally, you want a 36 to deal with the extra weight.

You will enjoy it either way and never want to ride anything else.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
You probably don't want to use your fox 34 at 140. At a minimum, get a 150 air shaft to keep stock geo. Ideally, you want a 36 to deal with the extra weight.

You will enjoy it either way and never want to ride anything else.
You've just preempt my next question now the cranks are sorted.

Spoke with tf tuned today. A service and air shaft change to 150 is about £160. So for the price of sale plus that is near enough the price of a lyrik. I was gonna ask of people thought the 34 would be up to double the weight? Now I've an uplift I'll be hitting stile cop DH more. I could've cut the steerer too short anyway. Thoughts on best fork?

I love the orange lowers 36, but at nearly double the price a lyrik makes sense.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
CRC have been clever, the red lyrik is around £150 more at £830 ish. That's getting close to fox 36 orange. I'll see what the blue decals looks like on it and what would go later, because it's.....

New. Bike. Day!

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
my OCD would mean if i went with a kashima fork i would have to get a kashima dropper!
Would you need the shock too?

I've got the kashima dropper. I'm contemplating running Stealth, like my old enduro, instead of bling on this build. My last two bikes have been really loud and attention grabbing. Unfortunately one of them got too much attention.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

Specialized supply a seat post shim with their Enduro carbon SWorks. It is a 30.9 to 34.9. So if they don’t have a problem with you using a shim on this bike then in theory they should not have a problem with you using a shim on your ebike. I would give them a call and state the above to see if they are okay with you using competitors 31.6 to 34.9. Or if you have to purchase a shim from them.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi guys, so it's NBD tomorrow! :cool: Super excited. First e-bike.

View attachment 6088

I'm a bit of a serial bike swapper, always interested in new bikes and tech. Afterall, it is my job!!

What i decided to do was get the base model and change up the spec to what i want, as there was no way i'm dropping £10k on an S-Works. Especially as i'm not even sure i'll keep it. :ROFLMAO: I'll be using my current bike as the donor for parts. The frame/shock are listed in the FS forum.

Intense Primer Factory Custom Build:
View attachment 6085

11.9kg with Pedals. Yes, i'm a weight weenie. Can't believe my next bike will probably be double that! :eek:

I built this bike using the lightest suitable parts I could get. As i ride 99% of the time at Cannock Chase, my backyard, so it's got to be able to pedal. When i first got it i felt like i was cheating it climbs that well and it's easily the best trail bike i've ridden. So why change? Knees! My knees are creaking and giving pain, so enter an ebike. I'll do anything to keep doing my brilliant job...MTB Coach.

Spec:
- 2018 Fox Factory 34 FIT4 Kashima 140
- Enve M60HV
- Sram Guide Ultimates (180/180)
- Renthal Carbon Fat Bar 35 & Renthal 35 50mm Stem
- Rainbow Ti bolts through out (headset/stem/brakes/bottle mount/suspension etc)
- NEXT R Carbon Cranks 170
- Fox Transfer Factory 150
- SDG Circuit Carbon Saddle
- SRAM XX1 Drivetrain and Shifter
- KMC SL Gold Chain
- HT Components ME03T Pedals

So i've got hundreds of questions, hopefully you knowledgeable lot can help... (y) and i'll keep this thread updated with pics, spec, changes etc.

I'll kick it off with...
- Can the RF NEXT R Cranks even fit on the Levo? I've not been able to find this out anywhere.

View attachment 6084
I would go for a minimum of 200mm rotors. I am not familiar with SRAM disk brakes so hopefully the other forum members can assist you to confirm if you need to upgrade your brakes to a different version. I am a Shimano Saint user so cant really comment.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I've been running guide RSC for 18m, then guide ultimate on 180/180 for around 3 years, but they've all been light bikes. I love the modulation on SRAM, less grabby compared to Shimano. Which I like when controlling manuals etc.

When I took the levo out it had code RSC on. And wow! Going back to the Ultimates I definitely notice they're nowhere near as good. Could be new pads needed or the smaller rotors.

I'm really considering code RSC to stop this tank.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Yeah, was given an hour delivery slot, booked the afternoon off. Started heading home and got email to say they attempted delivery an hour earlier. Called up and said they would come back. Nothing by 5:30 so called again. Driver is at depot and it's not coming until tomorrow. Brilliant :mad:

It was gorgeous today as well, now it's pissing it down for the next three days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles