2018 LEVO - COIL SHOCK OPTIONS - confused.com

DaveW

Mar 25, 2019
UK
Hi, I ve been reading thru as many forums and posts as I can find to try and get an overview on what the possible coil shock options are for my 2018 Levo. The general feed back is that given the high leverage rate that the Levo uses a coil shock is better, but then I read that coils are best with a progressive setup and the Levo is both Progressive and regressive ( what ever that means). Confused .com … So I started by looking for options; the Ohlins TTX its very ''is shiny and nice my precious'' , but its really expensive. By the time you buy the damper, spring and get it tuned you're looking at £700+. Then there was the Cane Creek DB IL, which needs a new Yoke + spring + tune = £530, but I saw somewhere that the damper rods were prone to snapping on cane creeks ? I called TF Tuned , spoke to nice chap called Paul who suggest Marzocchi CR ( rebranded Fax rc Van) all in for around £500. but seems a bit basic. Are there any other options ? I would really appreciate any real world feed back you guys can give to help guide me in the right direction. FYI - I ride BPW 1-2 times a year ( no monster gap jumps ) Afan valley , but mostly Surrey hills type trails.

DaveW

Mar 25, 2019
UK
wow , lots of input so fast. I only have the 2018 model not 2019, can these options apply ? . Re the cane creek, TF said the DB IL would fit with a 'bike yoke' as its got a 190x51 option.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I have got a Fox Van coil for sale with the correct Yoke for a M/L 2018 Levo if you want it. You might need a new spring as it's 700lbs as I'm 98kg all up weight. They are about 40 quid. Oh and it’s TF Tuned.

DM me if interested :)

Last edited:

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Hi, I ve been reading thru as many forums and posts as I can find to try and get an overview on what the possible coil shock options are for my 2018 Levo. The general feed back is that given the high leverage rate that the Levo uses a coil shock is better, but then I read that coils are best with a progressive setup and the Levo is both Progressive and regressive ( what ever that means). Confused .com … So I started by looking for options; the Ohlins TTX its very ''is shiny and nice my precious'' , but its really expensive. By the time you buy the damper, spring and get it tuned you're looking at £700+. Then there was the Cane Creek DB IL, which needs a new Yoke + spring + tune = £530, but I saw somewhere that the damper rods were prone to snapping on cane creeks ? I called TF Tuned , spoke to nice chap called Paul who suggest Marzocchi CR ( rebranded Fax rc Van) all in for around £500. but seems a bit basic. Are there any other options ? I would really appreciate any real world feed back you guys can give to help guide me in the right direction. FYI - I ride BPW 1-2 times a year ( no monster gap jumps ) Afan valley , but mostly Surrey hills type trails.
Fitted a Fox van TF Tuned never looked back, rides really well

DaveW

Mar 25, 2019
UK
Re the fox Van option, do you not get a lot of pedal bobing , as a result of it having no “ climb/trail/descend “ type functionality, can’t quite understand how 1 setting covers all types of conditions. Guess we must get brain washed by manufacturers?

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Re the fox Van option, do you not get a lot of pedal bobing , as a result of it having no “ climb/trail/descend “ type functionality, can’t quite understand how 1 setting covers all types of conditions. Guess we must get brain washed by manufacturers?
If you are pushing hard you get some movement but the amount of energy lost is not much compared to better handling on all types of terrain. It just keeps the back tyre planted where you want it. You can control rebound etc but the spring just seems to do the rest

derby

Feb 2, 2019
San Anselmo, California
I've ridden coil forks and later shocks since Eibauch Springs offered a progressive 3 stack of coils for the Rockshox Judy in the mid '90's, later Bomber coil forks, Push tuned Fox Vanilla (Van) shocks, and the X-Fusion Vengeance and Vector having the best production coil fork and shocks I've ridden.

As a heavier rider about 90Kg (200 lbs) and more in winter, air always had it's problems: harsh top-out requiring too much rebound damping (until Fox introduced automatic balanced negative air with their Float shock and more recent Float forks). Otherwise, coil negative springs not enough weight to balance a heavier rider. And the higher air pressure erquired for heavier riders tightened seals to have jerky sticktion. And minimal mid travel support without loosing usable plush bottom travel action by adding volume spacers.

Coil suspension's only problem (besides weight weenie psychosis) is finding the optimum coil for riding style and conditions. Once the best coil weight is found, there is optimum smooth action, great mid-travel support, plush usable deep travel, easy trail side preload shock sag and effective subtle spring firmness adjustment, and better damper tuning for all travel depths.

I was very impressed how the stock air Revelation and RS coil OE worked on my 2018 Levo. The 20 lbs added weight and superior high leverage effect on overcoming sticktion, was the smoothest I've experienced with air suspension. But usable plush deep travel was missing as is typical, even with deeper than recommended sag.

I thought I'd try the Bike Yoke to be able to try any 7.5 x 2.0 shock option and gain about 12mm deep travel. First I have just installed a Marzocchi Bomber CR (looks much like a Fox Van), only $295 retail. I'm still final tuning, but what an improvement in cloud like smoothness and deep travel access. The availbe two knobs for LSR and LSC are effective, and high speed damper tuning is probably not as effective as with a far lighter bike. Started with a 550# coil spring. Swapped to a 450# I had from prior years. A 500# might be ideal.

I had dropped an obsolete RS coil U-Turn assembly with lightest yellow spring into a recent year Fox 36 with Grip2 (superb) damping previously on my Santa Cruz Hightower for the last couple years (with DHX2 rear coil). The top cap threads are the same, and used plumber's tape to seal the top cap thread as the depth did not match the o-ring seal. I had to add length to the compression rod with a stud and used a kitchen sink rubber gasket to seal the bottom to increase axle-to-crown height for the 26" fork u-turn to reach a 29" fork's full extension. (Note: good luck finding any u-turn assembly now on ebay or anywhere. I'd go with the Push Industries coil upgrade for the Fox 36 now, or MRP coil fork or Ohlins coil fork, or stay with the very good quality Float air or higher end RS air fork if I didn't have these old u-turn assemblies I've saved).

So swapped that u-turn customized Fox 36 onto the Levo. The heavier Levo made 25% travel sag compared to 20% more ideal on my Hightower with the same spring. And the deep 35% sag I get with the 450# shock spring is a good balance so far. I've added more compression and rebound on the heavier Levo than on the coiled Hightower. So far very plush, no noticeable bottoming (I'm an AM trail rider, not Enduro high speedster, or a big jumper). Huge improvement in accessible travel and smoothness. I see no reason to spend 2 to 3 times more on a higher end shock, because the heavy Levo covers up the sensitivity. It is like riding on a cloud. I have the next firmer u-turn coil assembly and may try that with a firmer shock coil for a little sharper handling feel of traction limits.

Bottom line is the Marzocchi Bomber CR 7.5x2.0 having low cost coils to find the best weight spring, with Bike Yoke is an excellent upgrade for the 2018 Levo. A coil fork upgrade may be less improvement over a high end air fork. The MRP coil forks are turn-key quality coil forks with inexpensive coils to find the correct spring weight.

DaveW

Mar 25, 2019
UK
I've ridden coil forks and later shocks since Eibauch Springs offered a progressive 3 stack of coils for the Rockshox Judy in the mid '90's, later Bomber coil forks, Push tuned Fox Vanilla (Van) shocks, and the X-Fusion Vengeance and Vector having the best production coil fork and shocks I've ridden.

As a heavier rider about 90Kg (200 lbs) and more in winter, air always had it's problems: harsh top-out requiring too much rebound damping (until Fox introduced automatic balanced negative air with their Float shock and more recent Float forks). Otherwise, coil negative springs not enough weight to balance a heavier rider. And the higher air pressure erquired for heavier riders tightened seals to have jerky sticktion. And minimal mid travel support without loosing usable plush bottom travel action by adding volume spacers.

Coil suspension's only problem (besides weight weenie psychosis) is finding the optimum coil for riding style and conditions. Once the best coil weight is found, there is optimum smooth action, great mid-travel support, plush usable deep travel, easy trail side preload shock sag and effective subtle spring firmness adjustment, and better damper tuning for all travel depths.

I was very impressed how the stock air Revelation and RS coil OE worked on my 2018 Levo. The 20 lbs added weight and superior high leverage effect on overcoming sticktion, was the smoothest I've experienced with air suspension. But usable plush deep travel was missing as is typical, even with deeper than recommended sag.

I thought I'd try the Bike Yoke to be able to try any 7.5 x 2.0 shock option and gain about 12mm deep travel. First I have just installed a Marzocchi Bomber CR (looks much like a Fox Van), only $295 retail. I'm still final tuning, but what an improvement in cloud like smoothness and deep travel access. The availbe two knobs for LSR and LSC are effective, and high speed damper tuning is probably not as effective as with a far lighter bike. Started with a 550# coil spring. Swapped to a 450# I had from prior years. A 500# might be ideal.

I had dropped an obsolete RS coil U-Turn assembly with lightest yellow spring into a recent year Fox 36 with Grip2 (superb) damping previously on my Santa Cruz Hightower for the last couple years (with DHX2 rear coil). The top cap threads are the same, and used plumber's tape to seal the top cap thread as the depth did not match the o-ring seal. I had to add length to the compression rod with a stud and used a kitchen sink rubber gasket to seal the bottom to increase axle-to-crown height for the 26" fork u-turn to reach a 29" fork's full extension. (Note: good luck finding any u-turn assembly now on ebay or anywhere. I'd go with the Push Industries coil upgrade for the Fox 36 now, or MRP coil fork or Ohlins coil fork, or stay with the very good quality Float air or higher end RS air fork if I didn't have these old u-turn assemblies I've saved).

So swapped that u-turn customized Fox 36 onto the Levo. The heavier Levo made 25% travel sag compared to 20% more ideal on my Hightower with the same spring. And the deep 35% sag I get with the 450# shock spring is a good balance so far. I've added more compression and rebound on the heavier Levo than on the coiled Hightower. So far very plush, no noticeable bottoming (I'm an AM trail rider, not Enduro high speedster, or a big jumper). Huge improvement in accessible travel and smoothness. I see no reason to spend 2 to 3 times more on a higher end shock, because the heavy Levo covers up the sensitivity. It is like riding on a cloud. I have the next firmer u-turn coil assembly and may try that with a firmer shock coil for a little sharper handling feel of traction limits.

Bottom line is the Marzocchi Bomber CR 7.5x2.0 having low cost coils to find the best weight spring, with Bike Yoke is an excellent upgrade for the 2018 Levo. A coil fork upgrade may be less improvement over a high end air fork. The MRP coil forks are turn-key quality coil forks with inexpensive coils to find the correct spring weight.
Thanks for taking the time to give excellent input?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

I do have a Push Van RC coil shock on my 2018 Levo together with a bike yoke and I can only concour, a totally different bike in a positive way.

Karsten

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
Anyone got any more to add on this subject or DaveW how did you go ahead?

I just spoke to TF Tuned (Greg - super helpful). He also recommended the Marz CR with a Cane Creek spring. Looks interesting for sure but the near 1kg all up weight is a concern (yes, I know it's an ebike but a bit here and there soon adds up!).

Again speaking of Marzocchi (ie budget FOX), the Z1 with 36mm stanchions he also advised for the front end looks to be a killer fit for the Levo, super sturdy, 140 - 170 travel etc.

DaveW

Mar 25, 2019
UK
Anyone got any more to add on this subject or DaveW how did you go ahead?

I just spoke to TF Tuned (Greg - super helpful). He also recommended the Marz CR with a Cane Creek spring. Looks interesting for sure but the near 1kg all up weight is a concern (yes, I know it's an ebike but a bit here and there soon adds up!).

Again speaking of Marzocchi (ie budget FOX), the Z1 with 36mm stanchions he also advised for the front end looks to be a killer fit for the Levo, super sturdy, 140 - 170 travel etc.
Hi, I bought a Canecreek DBIL, based on the info on TF website- not suitable for 2019 Levo, mine being a 2018 model. However I then learned the Cane Creek shocks are not suitable for any Levo/ stump jumper. So sold the cc. options left were Ohlins TTX or Marzocchi CR(rebranded Fox Van RC). According to TF the highest spring rate you can get for TTX is 650lb. No good for me as TF calculated I need 750 ( 93 for me 2 for kit and 5 for bike). So that’s a non starter. Re the CR/RC, yep it’s heavy, there’s little adjustment as it’s a down hill shock. For me I don’t want lots of extra weight and I have reservations as to how suitable it would be for me, as I don’t do jumps and drops . I wanted a plusher ride, less pedal strikes. Options - loose 20kg or look for a better quality air shock.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
Thanks for that - yes, since posting above I have come to the same conclusion. I'm also worried about the bob and weight (yes, an eBike but I still want it as light as poss and the coil would add 3/4 kg over air).

derby

Feb 2, 2019
San Anselmo, California
Hi, I bought a Canecreek DBIL, based on the info on TF website- not suitable for 2019 Levo, mine being a 2018 model. However I then learned the Cane Creek shocks are not suitable for any Levo/ stump jumper. So sold the cc. options left were Ohlins TTX or Marzocchi CR(rebranded Fox Van RC). According to TF the highest spring rate you can get for TTX is 650lb. No good for me as TF calculated I need 750 ( 93 for me 2 for kit and 5 for bike). So that’s a non starter. Re the CR/RC, yep it’s heavy, there’s little adjustment as it’s a down hill shock. For me I don’t want lots of extra weight and I have reservations as to how suitable it would be for me, as I don’t do jumps and drops . I wanted a plusher ride, less pedal strikes. Options - loose 20kg or look for a better quality air shock.
The coil spring recommendations (and air shock pressure recommendations) by every manufacturer are for the most extreme free-ride or DH/Enduro speed uses, far more firm than desirable for most riders, apparently to prevent damage warranty issues by the most extreme riders or very bad crash landings. I'm guessing most of us on our ebikes are not extreme speed DH/Enduro racing and training or 3 meter free-ride cliff drops during our recreational trail rides.

I am the same weight as you mentioned within a couple Lbs/Kg, and I really like my current 450# coil spring with 2 full turns further preload after the spring is snug and secure, with 1/4 turn in compression knob, and one full turn in rebound from the softest knob stop, on my Marzocchi CR. I do like very compliant suspension with 30% to 33% rear sag and 20% to 25% fork sag for complying with very rocky and rooty descents. A 500# coil spring with no preload was pretty good too, but I like the more cloud like smaller bump and deep travel compliance of the 450# with 2 turns preload I've settled with and never feel the bottom bumper. The 550# coil I first ordered and rode was not enough sag and compliance for my all-mountain rocky and rooty technical trail riding interests, but even being too firm for my weight it did feel much better than the stock 2018 Levo Carbon Rockshox air shock.

Last edited:

DaveW

Mar 25, 2019
UK
That’s interesting to get real world experience, like you say the shop is covering themselves as they’ve no idea what type of riding the punter will do. How did you arrive at a 450lb spring, just trial and error?
What’s the CR like for climbing, do you get much bobbing ?
Has anyone reading this run a 650lb spring on a Ohlins TTX What type of riding / what weight are you.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Bobbing is usually a feature of suspension design, fsr isn't too bad, although riding smoothly helps.

If it's something you're worried about, buy a shock with a climb/platform lever.

No real bob issues with a ttx on kenevo. If I'm on tarmac I sometimes hit the lever, but usually don't because I forget to unlock it before the next descent.

derby

Feb 2, 2019
San Anselmo, California
That’s interesting to get real world experience, like you say the shop is covering themselves as they’ve no idea what type of riding the punter will do. How did you arrive at a 450lb spring, just trial and error?
What’s the CR like for climbing, do you get much bobbing ?
Has anyone reading this run a 650lb spring on a Ohlins TTX What type of riding / what weight are you.
Yes, I found my ideal coil spring rate by trial and error. Pretty much every bike handling optimum adjustment is found by trial and error. Tire air pressure, damping, the shock and fork's air or coil spring firmness, comfortable or efficient handlebar width and reach, seat height, seat angle, etc. For example does anyone really use the "35 to 60 psi" air pressure as printed on every mountain tire's label? Well maybe as high as 35 psi in a small 450 gram 2.0 XC tire on road bike width 22 mm inner width rims for racing on smooth hardpack.

Coil suspension pedal bob is not a problem when seated and spinning on my Specialized Levo, because the motor is very smooth. When climbing the rear suspension squats more than most bikes, but the smooth motor overcomes the Specialized FSR suspension's overall inefficiency. Standing and pedaling of course will bob severely. Specilaized FSR has very minimal anti-squat, any FSR needs tricky platform damping such as their automatic lockout "brain" damper for any kind of pedaling efficiency. Air forks and shocks produces moderate platform damping effect from tight air seal sticky-friction or "stiction" when transitioning from rebound to compression. I personally hate the jerky handling feel of suspension stiction or designed platform damping, and have ridden coil forks and shocks since converting my first Rockshox Judy fork to coil in the early 90's replacing the stock elastomers with Eibach coil springs.

Smooth coil suspension is not for everyone, air suspension is pretty good these days until you try coil. Although coil shocks and forks usually do not have platform damping needed for pedaling efficiency by some suspension types. Also many suspension designs are designs have falling rate linkage leverage to produce more linear rate of mid travel support and access to deep travel for use with the exponentially rising rate of air springs, but with coil's linear rate then easy bottom out can be a problem with falling rate suspension leverage.

DaveW

Mar 25, 2019
UK
So to summarise, if you are a 'larger ' rider ; then Fox Van RC or the Marzocchi CR ( they are the same) is the way to go, as Ohlins don't have the spring rates above 650lb/ Cane creek aren't up to the job ( damper rod diameter too small) , Fox don't have the DHX2 in the right size. TF will supply the Van RC and CR push tuned to your requirements. so it looks like Marzocchi and a Bike you are the way to go for my 2018 Levo. Keep you posted. Thanks for all the really useful comments and inputs.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think its important to look at what you are trying to achieve with your suspension setup when looking at springs, or even the choice between a coil and an air shock.

Personally I am looking for my suspension to maintain optimum grip at all times, I am not looking for a set up that Handels big hits, because I don't ride in a way where I need this. On my air shock I run a lower than suggested PSI to get the set up I want. It does mean I occasionally blow though the travel, but it also keeps my rear end planted.

I know guys on coils who like going g big, and have super stiff springs as they dont want much movement unless they are going off big jumps, and I know others who have softer springs as they want a very supple back end that keeps the back wheel nailed down to the ground.

So long and short its not just your weight to think about.

I am very interested in the new RS MegNeg can for their Super Deluxe as this is supposed to give a very coil like feel on an air shock.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
So to summarise, if you are a 'larger ' rider ; then Fox Van RC or the Marzocchi CR ( they are the same) is the way to go, as Ohlins don't have the spring rates above 650lb/ Cane creek aren't up to the job ( damper rod diameter too small) , Fox don't have the DHX2 in the right size. TF will supply the Van RC and CR push tuned to your requirements. so it looks like Marzocchi and a Bike you are the way to go for my 2018 Levo. Keep you posted. Thanks for all the really useful comments and inputs.
how's it riding? i'm on your coattails! van/yoke/smashpot - didn't get the revalue, but will pay for it in a year when i get it serviced.

sisuman

Aug 11, 2019
Vermont USA

What year Levo do you have as i am about to go coil on my 18 Carbon Comp Levo? What setup did you settle on? Any frame clearance issues?
Thanks-Matt

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles