2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hallo to this forum ,
I am new here and have been following the forum with much interest and learning a lot from you all . Thank you . I have a 2019 turbo levo s-works since November , which I think is a great bike . My only concern at the moment is the motor muck fix , which is , in my opinion causing many people to doubt about the profesional way Specialized is going about solving this problem . I contacted Specialized Spain about the foam and the new 4 bolt motor covers . They replied that they are available and must be ordered by my retailer . Yesterday I went to my retailer and they handed over the foam ( do it yourself ! ) and they told me that Specialized does not consider it necessary to change the motor covers . I have written again to Specialized Spain asking for the motor covers .
I agree with several comments on this forum , that Specialized really should give out an official statement regarding this topic , which would solve the uncertainty that is very apparent .

Hi Stephen,

I can imagine that you will not be happy when buying an VERY expensive s-works and getting this kind of "do it yourself" dealer support. I am really questioning myself if you would inform Specialized about this way of warranty handling by your dealer if they would accept it and keep such a dealership alive.

But anyway if you search the forum on Specialized Rider Care you will find posts where they explained the new 4 bolt motor cover. According to Specialized, if I remember well, it wasn't a big deal (motor needs to be removed completely from the bike to fit the new cover design. So they only changed the cover once you had a faulty motor. I was "lucky" to be in this position.

I am not sure if you read my post:
My Levo 2019 review of a critical owner and summarize until today - EMTB Forums

Here you will find a link which a really very easy "do it yourself" fix by cutting out a very small piece of inner tube and mount that over the gap on the outside. (where the sponge will be on the inside) I have ridden the bike in very muddy conditions with the sponge on the inside and the rubber flap on the outside. It worked great and no one will notice it as well. It looks like factory made.

Stephen

Jan 10, 2019
Mallorca , Spain
Hi Stephen,

I can imagine that you will not be happy when buying an VERY expensive s-works and getting this kind of "do it yourself" dealer support. I am really questioning myself if you would inform Specialized about this way of warranty handling by your dealer if they would accept it and keep such a dealership alive.

But anyway if you search the forum on Specialized Rider Care you will find posts where they explained the new 4 bolt motor cover. According to Specialized, if I remember well, it wasn't a big deal (motor needs to be removed completely from the bike to fit the new cover design. So they only changed the cover once you had a faulty motor. I was "lucky" to be in this position.

I am not sure if you read my post:

Here you will find a link which a really very easy "do it yourself" fix by cutting out a very small piece of inner tube and mount that over the gap on the outside. (where the sponge will be on the inside) I have ridden the bike in very muddy conditions with the sponge on the inside and the rubber flap on the outside. It worked great and no one will notice it as well. It looks like factory made.
Hallo Maastricht ,
Yes , I have read your mentioned post and have made and installed the inner tube rubber cover and as you say , it looks very good and works well . Thank you .

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hallo Maastricht ,
Yes , I have read your mentioned post and have made and installed the inner tube rubber cover and as you say , it looks very good and works well . Thank you .

No thanks, by the way it wasn't my idea but anyway I am happy to understand that we are learning of each other here on this forum.

GAP

Nov 1, 2018
Bookham
Finally arrived today from my ( oversea's ) LBS ! Easy install and finally acceptable. I have now switched from my " Shit Lip " which performed perfectly to a adhesive inner tube strip as suggested on this forum for better aesthetics. View attachment 9303 View attachment 9304 View attachment 9305
Highflyer - so it looks like the revised motor housing is stiffer and fixes the gap(s) between the two halves of the housing but there is still the gap at the back that requires a homemade fix?Someone else asked if this gap could be there to assist with motor cooling so I wonder if that is the case? Otherwise, why wouldn't Specialized have sorted the famous design fault gap with the new housing???

davez

Jan 5, 2019
Germany
Hallo to this forum ,
I am new here and have been following the forum with much interest and learning a lot from you all . Thank you . I have a 2019 turbo levo s-works since November , which I think is a great bike . My only concern at the moment is the motor muck fix , which is , in my opinion causing many people to doubt about the profesional way Specialized is going about solving this problem . I contacted Specialized Spain about the foam and the new 4 bolt motor covers . They replied that they are available and must be ordered by my retailer . Yesterday I went to my retailer and they handed over the foam ( do it yourself ! ) and they told me that Specialized does not consider it necessary to change the motor covers . I have written again to Specialized Spain asking for the motor covers .
I agree with several comments on this forum , that Specialized really should give out an official statement regarding this topic , which would solve the uncertainty that is very apparent .
I could imagine the 2019 Levos will be sold at a significant discount at the end of the season. A lot of people willing to pay a premium for Specialized will not accept such a design failure.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Highflyer - so it looks like the revised motor housing is stiffer and fixes the gap(s) between the two halves of the housing but there is still the gap at the back that requires a homemade fix?Someone else asked if this gap could be there to assist with motor cooling so I wonder if that is the case? Otherwise, why wouldn't Specialized have sorted the famous design fault gap with the new housing???

Hi,

I am not sure if you read my long post:
but to take away your concerns of overheating please read this post of Specialized Rider Care:

2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread - EMTB Forums

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Highflyer - so it looks like the revised motor housing is stiffer and fixes the gap(s) between the two halves of the housing but there is still the gap at the back that requires a homemade fix? Someone else asked if this gap could be there to assist with motor cooling so I wonder if that is the case? ...
Whilst monitoring motor temperature and (when needed) limiting motor power to protect against overheating is a good idea, relying on that feature is not.
As a user, it's no good having 90nm torque capable motor limited to say 50nm due to overheating.
As an engineer, I'm more concerned about having electrical connectors in a constantly wet environment. I believe the hole is there for both cooling and to allow it to dry out.
The sponge is going to ensure area inside motor casing stays damp for a very long time. I think likely to cause problems within the 2 year warranty period. :unsure:
... Otherwise, why wouldn't Specialized have sorted the famous design fault gap with the new housing???
Totally agree. The cheapest satisfactory solution would be a change to the motor cover design. Either change the back end of the cover so that it's a deflector slope rather than a catch scoop. Or remove the cover almost entirely, ie. a small enclose (on left side) to cover the electrics only, with a small extension underneath to act as a bash plate; with an elastomer backing (between plastic bash plate and motor).
Design_5.jpg

Last edited:

GAP

Nov 1, 2018
Bookham
Hey guys

Would love some advice on 2019 Turbo Levo Sizing (I'm 5ft 10in and unsure of what size to get) - so I created a thread here:
2019 Turbo Levo Sizing - EMTB Forums

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Robin. I am 5' 10" with 31 1/2" inseam and got the large. Very happy with it. If you have unusually short legs then consider the medium as you might run out of dropper post downward adjustment?

GAP

Nov 1, 2018
Bookham
Whilst monitoring motor temperature and (when needed) limiting motor power to protect against overheating is a good idea, relying on that feature is not.
As a user, it's no good having 90nm torque capable motor limited to say 50nm due to overheating.
As an engineer, I'm more concerned about having electrical connectors in a constantly wet environment. I believe the hole is there for both cooling and to allow it to dry out.
The sponge is going to ensure area inside motor casing stays damp for a very long time. I think likely to cause problems within the 2 year warranty period. :unsure:

Totally agree. The cheapest satisfactory solution would be a change to the motor cover design. Either change the back end of the cover so that it's a deflector slope rather than a catch scoop. Or remove the cover almost entirely, ie. a small enclose (on left side) to cover the electrics only, with a small extension underneath to act as a bash plate; with an elastomer backing (between plastic bash plate and motor).
View attachment 9623
Thanks for the reply Indigo - all makes sense
I'll probably continue with a bit of black duct tape across the frame / chain stay bridge gap. Not fancy but very effective. Or I will fit something like the now famous Sh*t Lip solution that lays across the top of the chain stay bridge. These solutions stop wet mud and crap getting thrown into the motor housing and also keep small stones and sharp stuff from sticking in the gap where suspension movement could cause them to damage the frame / rear triangle. The bit of helitape stuck to the frame will not protect against flints! There is still a small gap between the underside of the chain stay bridge and the casing but nothing gets thrown into there off the wheel and a small piece of sponge in there will not do any harm
The other inner tube solution that glues inside the frame rebate then passes down through the gap looks much neater but will still allow small stones to lodge in the gap.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Could you fit the cover that come on other Brose Mag S motors under the Specialized covers?

252E2E30-16A5-47FF-BAE9-5B152FB4AD22.jpeg

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
no dont think so on the spesh bike the motor angle is different and half of it is inside the frame so the covers only cover the bottom half so to speak

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland

Dear all,

The new complete lower motor casing ( two halves ) ONLY addresses the 4th bolt hole.

Mhugdoc

Jul 26, 2018
Arkansas
Battery question:
When my 2019 Levo gets to about 25% battery remaining the power drops off significantly and as the percentage of battery decreases from 25% the motor nearly puts out no assistance. Is this normal?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Battery question:
When my 2019 Levo gets to about 25% battery remaining the power drops off significantly and as the percentage of battery decreases from 25% the motor nearly puts out no assistance. Is this normal?
When my one gets to about 2 bars of battery remaning, the power does drop down noticeably.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Battery question:
When mine drops to 2 red bars I notice the drop in power. Not sure what percentage that is.

I also notice it's not as lively when about 3 green bars compared to fully charged.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
According to the manual it starts to drop from 15% onwards, in 3% increments. Which corresponds to the feeling I get.
:eek: Big Brother again! Does this help with battery efficiency in some way?

Can BLEvo override this drop in power?

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
Fitted this the week before Christmas. However....... got a call from TF tuned saying..... Cane Creek have been in touch with them and have said that they do not recommend that you put a DB IL Coil on your 2019 Levo or 2019 Stumpjumper as they are worried the shaft of the shock may snap near the rear eyelet due to the increased leverage force created by the yoke.

So..... I am sending the shock back to TF Tuned who are happy to give me a refund and we are working on 'other' possible options.

It is a real shame as I have been for 3 rides with the new coil shock on and compared to the standard air shock the new coil shock in my opinion is far superior especially on the terrain I ride :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

View attachment 9353
I'm running the piggy back version of the CC, now nervous of a failure checked the Yolk bearings and seem all good, but I'm going to keep some spares ready for immediate replacement once I detect any undue friction. Only option is a Fox X2 I guess, or DVO which I sent back for refund due to issues, I run max high speed damping on the CC and had the DVO reshimmed for additional damping to keep the bucky rear end down on fast decents.
Cheers Gyro

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
Broken Axle - Alternative options?
Discovered my rear axle was broken when the free hub and cluster fell on the ground upon removing the wheel, the retaining shaft has a waist along most of it's length so where the middle bearing sits there is no support given by the pin. Wondering if Kenevo's have a more robust solution as I'm sure it will happen again.
Anyone else experienced this?

Regards Gyro

Axle Break.jpg

Hunter-m-j

Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Hi there,
Looks like I may have the same issue, I've just fitted a CC also with a 550lb spring, running max hi speed rebound damping to keep the the bike from bucking on rough downhills.
Getting about 165mm travel, paired with 180mm Lyrik forks makes for a great ride.
Also a strip of PVC tape to keep the crap out of the motor housing as pictured, due for replacement.
Other changes include 160mm KTM cranks 155mm raised the cadence too much and outside the motors sweetspot.
SRAM EX1 8 Speed & CushCore inserts.
Rockguardz motor protector, which I've added an extra 2.5mm of glassfibre to the area under the motor as being Carbon I broke it second time out.
Painted dots in all fastenings to monitor any loosening, which is not infrequent.

I've been following your upgrades with much interest keep the coming.

All the best Andrew AKA Gyro.

View attachment 9394

View attachment 9395
Hi Gyro, i had planed to replace parts on the entry 2019 levo with cane creek helm fork and inline coil here in Australia. I contacted Cane Creek on reading the forum to ask if they could recommend one of thier coils for the 2019 levo. Thier response was the Double Barrel cs would work well and definitely not the In Line Coil. I have the IL coil on my 2019 stumpjumper but have it fitted with the shaft end to the top, figured there would be less torsion on the weaker shaft end. But I’m no engineer. Seems to be ok so far ?.Can see CC’s point the IL is only a little coil. Out of curiosity is it possible to rotate the eyelet at the barrel end of the shock so the barrel end can attached to the Yoke. I’m asking this because i still don’t have the bike and I’m unsure if ill change the shock now. Cheers

Hunter-m-j

Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Hi Guys. Ive read through pretty much all of this 2019 levo owners thread. Some really helpful stuff, awesome. I’m in Australia and waiting for the alloy model to arrive, sometime March-April. I was planning on getting it and doing a few up grades - coil shock and fork, two piston calliper on the rear brake, bikeyoke dropper post. Now that the bikes have been out for a bit i would really like to know what everyone thinks of the Fox suspension on the Comp Carbon. I am able to get one of them this week, if there are any left. Would mean the upgrades would be a little further down the track. My go to bike for now is the 2019 expert stumpjumper. So I guess what I’m looking for is everyone’s who has the Comp Carbon with the fox gear on it how do you find the lateral stiffness of the fork. Does it seem to hold its line ok. Does it feel burly enough for the bike. Cheers Matt

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles