Coil shock options for '19 Levo?

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
Hows the coil going?
Does it bottom out much?
Keen to know if the leverage curve is good enough for a coil shock?
Can you help me out with spring weight, sag and yr weight.
Ive got a fox DHX X2 being made for me and waiting for it to arrive.

Thanks
Peter
Hi Peter, I haven’t had a chance to ride the bike since I got it fitted actually. Been away for work a lot and family things on. Hopefully be out this weekend so will report back on how it rides after that.

Harmialized

Oct 15, 2018
Netherlands
IMG_8362.PNG

Travelly

Apr 7, 2018
Bath,UK
Hi Peter, I haven’t had a chance to ride the bike since I got it fitted actually. Been away for work a lot and family things on. Hopefully be out this weekend so will report back on how it rides after that.
Well I rode the bike at FoD yesterday and I can say the bottoming out issue using an air shock has been resolved. Over jumps the bike is a lot more supple and of course, doesn’t bottom out. I will be taking the bike to windmill bike park soon as that’s my local spot really and that will be the test of its suitability.

Reactions: jk-

Harmialized

Oct 15, 2018
Netherlands
Very nice , I didn’t there was a size from Fox that fitted the levo, I was wrong I guess.
I
Very nice , I didn’t there was a size from Fox that fitted the levo, I was wrong I guess.

You can order the shock @ fox, they don't show it on their page but they can build them.
Didn't expected such a big difference, a lot more grip in corners and it is a lot more active on the small bumps. Very nice!

bobh3501

Jan 5, 2019
California
I am also planning on using this Marzocchi shock - rebuilt and custom revalve by Avalanche suspension (US). Did you have any issues with the 55mm stroke - did you set the flip chip to high? I was planning to use a spacer to shorten stroke to 52.5mm but extra travel would be good! Thanks.

lookhear

Sep 18, 2018
Cape Town
I am also planning on using this Marzocchi shock - rebuilt and custom revalve by Avalanche suspension (US). Did you have any issues with the 55mm stroke - did you set the flip chip to high? I was planning to use a spacer to shorten stroke to 52.5mm but extra travel would be good! Thanks.
55mm works perfectly. More travel more fun! Flip chip set on low.

The only issue is if you want to set the rebound to “extremely” slow - the rebound adjuster knob if screwed all the way in (the red knob at the bottom next to the yolk) sits very close to the gap between the yolk.
It will make contact the yolk if you need to dial it right down. Two clicks from the bottom is not a problem.
If you wanted to run your rebound that low you would need to change the flip chip to high.
But then your rebound would be so slow you would finish your ride before the shock returned to normal.

It’s a non-issue but thought I would mention it.

freerideandi

Mar 21, 2019
Germany
Hey Guys,
who of you is driving the one Öhlins TTX in the 2019 Levo with which spring hardness and riderweight?
At 88kg I drive a 548 Öhlins spring

Thanks Andi

SimonLsie

Nov 21, 2018
Cannock chase
Update: After doing some research, I was really considering the CCDB Inline Coil since they make the correct size and it is reasonably-priced and very low weight, but I called CC to ask about mounting hardware and they told me that they strongly recommend against installing any of their coil shocks, but especially the Inline coil, on this type of mounting / linkage (clevis mount I think it is called?) b/c it really stresses the mounting interface and they have seen a lot of breakage - so I'm going to pass on that!

Hi buddy, i run the CC with Ohlins coil and its superb

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I know it's out there, I just dont know where to get it in Europe. Seems like a good choice between the (way too expensive) Ohlins and the Marzocchi.

Anyone know where to get a 210x52.5 DHX2 in the EU?
Silverfish does them in the UK. They don't show it in their website bu if you call them they will send you one out.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
I actually got TFTuned to send me a Ohlins TTX22M, they recommended that for my weight - 700lbs coils are readily available. #inbeforebrexit

Also ordered a Revelation UP 3 way damper upgrade, just for the heck of it. Might as well pimp the hell out of this bike, i'm not going to be able to afford another one the next decade ;)

Last edited:

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
Is anyone running a Fox DHX2 in 55mm? I see that the Marzocchi CR fits with a 55mm stroke. Does anyone have direct experience confirming that the DHX2 does?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
How is the DB coil inline ?
Cane Creek say it is not suitable for the Levo, as the shaft is too thin - but maybe this is not really a problem.
There have been pictures of the shock shaft snapping and then a destroyed frame to follow. CC say it for a reason...

Karsten

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
The stuntjumper uses the Fox DHX2 in 210 x 52.5 size but i cant find that size listed anywhere. Anyone got any experience with this or see any issue? Im getting the urge to upgrade my Fox DPS.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
I'm not sure how to answer that. I'm 100 kg and had the 'comp' version with the RS deluxe shock. I had to ride it maxed out on pressure to get anywhere near the correct sag. I found it a lifeless dull turd.

The Ohlins (700lbs spring) a nice and plush where it matters without bottoming out. I love it. I get much more comfort on gravel roads with lots of debris, (small bumps are gone) much, much more downhill confidence somehow and well, subjectively the bike is much more fun to ride.

Is it worth it? I find it somehow crazy the first thing needed to bring a EUR 5900 bike to life is spend another EUR 700 on a shock. My significant other doesn't think it's worth it, I can tell you that.

There are two comparable options, both much cheaper : The Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil shock - it comes in an 52,5 official version and the Marzocchi Bomber, but that only comes in 210x55 - you have to change the flip chip to get it to fit, with all the consequences.

The fox DHX2 is available in a correct size, but only for OEM and although you might be able to find it on an odd site, on ebay or you could get Fox to build you one - It's just not widely available.

But bottom line, I'm glad I got the Ohlins.

lookhear

Sep 18, 2018
Cape Town
I'm not sure how to answer that. I'm 100 kg and had the 'comp' version with the RS deluxe shock. I had to ride it maxed out on pressure to get anywhere near the correct sag. I found it a lifeless dull turd.

The Ohlins (700lbs spring) a nice and plush where it matters without bottoming out. I love it. I get much more comfort on gravel roads with lots of debris, (small bumps are gone) much, much more downhill confidence somehow and well, subjectively the bike is much more fun to ride.

Is it worth it? I find it somehow crazy the first thing needed to bring a EUR 5900 bike to life is spend another EUR 700 on a shock. My significant other doesn't think it's worth it, I can tell you that.

There are two comparable options, both much cheaper : The Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil shock - it comes in an 52,5 official version and the Marzocchi Bomber, but that only comes in 210x55 - you have to change the flip chip to get it to fit, with all the consequences.

The fox DHX2 is available in a correct size, but only for OEM and although you might be able to find it on an odd site, on ebay or you could get Fox to build you one - It's just not widely available.

But bottom line, I'm glad I got the Ohlins.

To clarify. Marzocchi fits perfectly. No need to change anything. It’s been a great shock.
210x55 works perfectly. No need to change flip chip.
You get extra travel (156/7mm travel) without any frame issues whatsoever.

Any 210x55mm shock will work.
The 55mm is the amount the shock travels. And there is plenty of space for the extra travel within the frame.

With 160mm fork and almost 160mm rear coil travel the Levo is now a perfect trail/enduro bike.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Specialized markets the next Levo as a 160mm travel bike just by adding longer travel fork/shock with little or no frame change.

Last edited:

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
What is the Ohlins exact part number needed for 2019 Levo Far...

Have a Factory DPS on now 210x55... Much better than the RS that came on bike. But want plush!

Ride where there's a lot of rocks and chatter....

Was thinking about a Fox X2 but can't find out if it fits. Found one with 210x55.

I'm also 220 lbs without gear... So I'm no light weight...

Can Anyone help?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles