What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
I have run HR2/Shorty both in maxxterra for natural technical moist to muddy trails these last weeks and I’ve to say I’m very impressed overall. The only drawback being the rear showing some use already… I really like the braking with the HR2

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
the sideknobs are softer compound so wear faster. Combine that with rear brake steering and the result is the sort of tearing you are experiencing

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
the sideknobs are softer compound so wear faster. Combine that with rear brake steering and the result is the sort of tearing you are experiencing

Yes you are right, I will see how long it will last in total but so far the performance is worth the tear and wear :)

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
Right!! - I've been riding my first e-mtb (Trek Powerfly 9.7) as the second owner. The first only used it for commuting on tarmac (??!!??) and ran it on the supplied 2.8 Bontrager XR4s. I've had a brilliant time getting out once a week since to go and ride my local mtb trail. I've been running them tubeless which has also been a first for me. That's made me nervous for 2 reasons - firstly, never tried them before so got all the 'what if's ' , mainly what if they puncture and the glue don't fix it and secondly, how do I get an inner-tube in to sort the first reason if I can't get the tyre off the rim (old bloke, weak grip - who knew that was a side effect of getting old??).
Anyways, yesterday it happened - nobble ripped enough from carcass to not be able to seal. Thought I'd go for in-situ repair as I'd invested in a tube. Surely enough, couldn't rip tyre off rim. Luckily found a stick that was exactly the right proportions to do the job (right thickness and same curvature as wheel!! - how lucky was that??) - I'm patenting it as it made the job simple. Slotted the tube in, still loads of sealant in there. Suspect there were probably thorns or somesuch in there as tube punctured (but sealed enough to complete circuit!!) during the next circuit. My bad for not checking but hey, loads of sealant!!
Anyway, decided to replace tyres, go back to slime tubes and use tannus armour. If I get any punctures with that lot on it's chess for me!!! 😂😂.

Shopping list was as follows :-

Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.6 Inch ⋅ Super Trail Addix Soft Folding
Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.6 Inch ⋅ Super Trail Addix Speedgrip Folding
1 pair slime inner-tubes (2.2-2.4)
1 pair tannus inserts (2.1-2.6)

....and after that little lot I don't EVER want to see another puncture (on my bike!!)

Last edited:

jhonmartin692

Apr 12, 2022
England
So I’ve used only Specialized plus sized tyres, 3.0 Pergatory and 2.8 Butcher. Butchers seem quite a bit stiffer, less corner roll. Am a fan of Schwalbe tyres and will be interesting to see what we can get in the 2.8 sizes in the future. With EMTB’s gaining popularity I’m sure we will see an ever growing selection of plus-sized rubber :LOL:

It may be difficult to say definitively which is better - it depends on personal preference and the type of terrain you are riding on.

chris f

Aug 1, 2021
cannock chase United Kingdom
hi Guys
forgive me if this has been raised a thousand times before . But how many of you use standard tyres as opposed to stronger side wall tyres or downhill specific tyres . The whole different types of tyres and casings just gives me to much dicision making issues :):)😂

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I use EXO casing front and rear on my Emtb.
EXO casing tyres cannot be run at anywhere near as low pressures as DH casings but they weigh considerably less.
how many other people run lighter casings shouldn't matter to you at all.
The decision of how tough/stiff a tyre casing to run is entirely yours to make.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
hi Guys
forgive me if this has been raised a thousand times before . But how many of you use standard tyres as opposed to stronger side wall tyres or downhill specific tyres . The whole different types of tyres and casings just gives me to much dicision making issues :):)😂
There are many factors. I am a light rider and iam not the downhill nor enduro type so exo is fine for me. I like plus, 2.8 or 3.0, for where i ride they work fine.

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
What a mess - be glad to see the back of this!! Hope it doesn't work as weed killer or i'll be for it 😂😂😱

PXL_20220502_141538643.jpg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Anyone tried the new range of Continental tyres yet ?

Thinking about Kryptotal Downhill Supersoft up front, Xynotal Trail Endurance rear

Don’t actually need any yet, just planning ahead for the future!

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Anyone tried the new range of Continental tyres yet ?

Thinking about Kryptotal Downhill Supersoft up front, Xynotal Trail Endurance rear

Don’t actually need any yet, just planning ahead for the future!

I’m genuinely curious to see if they have solved the burping issues. Ive broken one dt rim because of that and I don’t manage to keep a constant pressure (27-28psi) with my Kaiser Protection Apex as soon as the trail becomes rough. I’ve asked Conti if it is normal and they say I should run 50psi to be on the safe side…
So I’m back with Michelin, Maxxis or Kenda and never had this phenomenon once!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I’m genuinely curious to see if they have solved the burping issues. Ive broken one dt rim because of that and I don’t manage to keep a constant pressure (27-28psi) with my Kaiser Protection Apex as soon as the trail becomes rough. I’ve asked Conti if it is normal and they say I should run 50psi to be on the safe side…
So I’m back with Michelin, Maxxis or Kenda and never had this phenomenon once!

50psi? They're taking the p*ss.

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
So it looks like this is the place to ask for tire advice. :)

The tires that came on my Turbo Levo Alloy aren't cutting it in the desert dry/loose conditions. I've washed out both ends several times and I'm still a noob so I'm not even going fast.

I'm considering the Maxxis DHR II for the rear and Assegai for the front. OR, should I just do Assegai on both ends? I don't care about fast (I'm 53; I'd rather just enjoy the ride than go super fast and break myself). Not sure what to do. I'm also going to switch to tubeless when I swap them, so I'll be picking up valve stems and sealant at the same time.

Thoughts?

Rob

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

The tires that came on my Turbo Levo Alloy aren't cutting it in the desert dry/loose conditions. I've washed out both ends several times and I'm still a noob so I'm not even going fast.

I'm considering the Maxxis DHR II for the rear and Assegai for the front. OR, should I just do Assegai on both ends? I don't care about fast (I'm 53; I'd rather just enjoy the ride than go super fast and break myself). Not sure what to do. I'm also going to switch to tubeless when I swap them, so I'll be picking up valve stems and sealant at the same time.

Thoughts?

Rob

if you’re a noob then I’d suggest learning how to engage the side knobs of your tyres into the ground for grip and pumping around turns, is probably more important (and far cheaper) than buying new tyres and hoping they’ll solve the problem

correct pressure helps massively too

Grip & cornering technique is a minefield , which you’ve just taken the first step into!

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors

Thoughts?

Rob
How much do you weight?
How much PSI fr/rear??
What tires are you on, model and size?
Often less PSI is the solution.
Maybe wider tires will suit your needs if they fit.

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
How much do you weight?
How much PSI fr/rear??
What tires are you on, model and size?
Often less PSI is the solution.
Maybe wider tires will suit your needs if they fit.

172 in street clothes, currently running 23 f/r (with tubes) on a Turbo Levo Alloy S3. 2.6 wide. Current tires are T9 Butcher front and T7 Eliminator rear. Once I swap tires, I'll drop to 20 psi and explore from there.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
172 in street clothes, currently running 23 f/r (with tubes) on a Turbo Levo Alloy S3. 2.6 wide. Current tires are T9 Butcher front and T7 Eliminator rear. Once I swap tires, I'll drop to 20 psi and explore from there.
If your bike can take it you would probably enjoy a 3c Rekon 2.8 or a 2.6. Maybe an Assegai in front.
Ask locals and your shop, what works here might be different where you ride

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Yesterday swapped MM/BB soft to Continental Der Baron Project; Contis are very good, i dare to say after one ride.
Better than MM/BB? I don’t know, but not worse though.

06FA7305-3332-4FAC-B3F3-F791FBADE320.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles